If I.............

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upset_manager

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
On a hill
Just curious, but if I was to buy a used DirectTV receiver off on Craigslist and when I call DirectTV for activate for subscription service, would anyone here know if I have to be committed to a 2-year locked in contract?

Or since I am not getting an receiver from DirectTV that I could pay by month-2-month?

Thanks for clearing this up (yes, I have a DirectTV dish already installed on the house).

Cheers

If the receiver is considered owned then no there is no extension of contract

Wonderful, so just to make sure I understand (for example), I notice that I could purchase a HR24 for about $150, if I do this, hook it up to get signal and then call Direct and tell them I would like service and I would just purchase/ pay for the service I am wanting w/o no 12 or 24 month contract, right? :)

JThanks

most receivers are leased so even if you bought it from a company (like solid signal) you still get a 2 year agreement
The access card group at Directv has to verify the receiver is considered "owned" in their system

If you dont have service yet they'll sock ya for the 2 year lease unless the receiver is considered owned
Also if the equipment was previously used they wont activate it on a new account

well geeezzeee:(

That is what I dont want (24 month contract). It looks like I will need to venture out to either Uverse or Time Warner :(

Oh well.. thanks for the quick reply back.

Wonderful, so just to make sure I understand (for example), I notice that I could purchase a HR24 for about $150, if I do this, hook it up to get signal and then call Direct and tell them I would like service and I would just purchase/ pay for the service I am wanting w/o no 12 or 24 month contract, right? :)

JThanks

$ 150 is a pretty good LEASE price, the Bought price would probably be closer to $ 500, the original HR20's were bought for $ 850

well geeezzeee:(

That is what I dont want (24 month contract). It looks like I will need to venture out to either Uverse or Time Warner :(

Oh well.. thanks for the quick reply back.

I hope it works out best for your situation and household. I guess ppl have different pov's about contracts. I recall when I upgraded to HD svc in Aug '08, I had similar concerns about the contract length but before I knew it, time passed and it was Sept '10, contract fulfilled and I've been out of contract since that time.

Why, you don't plan on maintaining your TV services for 2 or more years ??

Same here. For most ppl, 2 yrs passes fast.... too fast
29f9lb9.jpg

I agree
I'm coming upon my 2 year agreement in Feb....it seemed like yesterday they were installing my Directv setup :)

Ok,

I will say this I bought a brand new HR21 Pro for my aunt and it was like pulling teeth to get her installed with out a contract. I did all the installation all dtv had to do was flip the switch. It is possible but it a pain in the arse to do . Sad thing was I was still working for them at the time I was doing this .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts