If one were to "move"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
If one were to "move" to a neighboring DMA within their spotbeam, would it be prudent to disconnect the ethernet cable from the Hopper? Would it be too obvious if one's e-mail address linked to the online account did not change and is obviously in the current city? Finally, does ones mailing address need to match that used by the autopay credit card?

On the email address and ethernet question, don't worry about it. IP Geolocation isn't an issue.

on the credit card thing, if you "move" just update the service address. leave the billing address at your actual address, no problem.

All you have to do is to chat with Dish and tell them you want to change your service address. Tell them that you use your equipment in your RV part of the time. They have no idea what "city" your email address is in, nor care. No need to take your Hopper offline.

If one were to "move" to a neighboring DMA within their spotbeam, would it be prudent to disconnect the ethernet cable from the Hopper?
no

Would it be too obvious if one's e-mail address linked to the online account did not change and is obviously in the current city?
I dont understand that. Would you change your e-mail address if you truly moved? I don't.
Finally, does ones mailing address need to match that used by the autopay credit card?
the mailing address isnt going to change. Just the "physical"

You're overanalyzing this too much. From someone who "moved" a fair amount with Dish (and Directv) the less they know the better

Reactions: Tampa8 and Hall
no

I dont understand that. Would you change your e-mail address if you truly moved? I don't.

the mailing address isnt going to change. Just the "physical"

You're overanalyzing this too much. From someone who "moved" a fair amount with Dish (and Directv) the less they know the better

My e-mail address from the cable company includes the initials of the city I live in. Yes, if I moved I would have to change internet providers and thus have a new e-mail address.

My e-mail address from the cable company includes the initials of the city I live in. Yes, if I moved I would have to change internet providers and thus have a new e-mail address.
I guess I'm lucky as I have a yahoo address that I use

But in all seriousness Dish doesnt look that much into "movers" unless you do it like 4 times a week ;)

First, absolutely no one cares enough to look into it. Second, I'm guessing your email address is @rgv.rr.com. I'm willing to bet 99% of people outside of your region have no idea what RGV stands for.

I'm in the Buffalo, NY market, but in the footprint of the Rochester Time Warner service area. I've always used by TWC email address for anything remotely important, and continue to utilize it for it's POP3 capabilities so email gets downloaded to my hard drive upon retrieval and a copy is not kept on their servers. It never been brought up, much less has ever been an issue that my email address is from the domain @rochester.rr.com and I live 70 miles from Rochester.

There's absolutely no reason to worry about 'moving', and the very last thing I'd even worry about is the email associated with the account.

I agree with bobvick. It is better to tell Dish that you are in your RV and need to change your Service Address. Sometimes, if you tell Dish that you moved to a new house, they will insist on setting up a technician visit. If you tell Dish you are in your RV, they assume you already have the proper dish, and Dish generally doesn't send technicians to RVs.

Back in the days when Dish had SNY and I could "move" during baseball season to watch the Mets, I would just call in the spring and simply ask to change my service address...nothing more. I never volunteered the "why", and best I recall, they never asked.

You don't need to volunteer why. There is no check in their system. And little secret... Reps really don't give two craps about who is doing what and why. They get paid the same regardless.

Reactions: Tampa8 and bobvick
Have you confirmed that where you want to move to uses the same dish configuration ? A nearby city may use a different "arc". Don't presume there's any logic to the whole eastern and western thing. My locals are on the west arc while Cincinnati, 30 miles straight south of me, are on the east one.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I don't particularly like the RV idea. And DISH is NOT going to insist anything when you say you have moved, you are set up and now live in XX. Add that you have the same mailing address and you are done. Great advice from Hall, be sure where you are moving uses the same Arc you have.

Reactions: ChadT41 and Mr Tony
If one were to "move" to a neighboring DMA within their spotbeam, would it be prudent to disconnect the ethernet cable from the Hopper? Would it be too obvious if one's e-mail address linked to the online account did not change and is obviously in the current city? Finally, does ones mailing address need to match that used by the autopay credit card?

Don't sweat it, I don't think Dish really cares. I "moved" to get neighboring locals by just listing a neighboring post office as the service address with my real address as the billing address, and everything was fine. Furthermore, I recently upgraded to the HWS and had the tech come to my billing (real) address. He installed the HWS and left with no mention of address discrepancies, the end result being that I still have the neighboring locals. Unless you begin waving red flags in front of them, they don't care.

Red_Flag_Waving_by_DanielaLaverne.gif

I agree with bobvick. It is better to tell Dish that you are in your RV and need to change your Service Address.
If you claim RV, consider what Iceberg cautions. DISH may want to convert you to an RV account if RVing is the thing and that may create issues with LILs or RSNs.

What DISH doesn't know won't likely hurt either party and the truth is much easier to remember consistently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)