If one were to "move"?

If you claim RV, consider what Iceberg cautions. DISH may want to convert you to an RV account if RVing is the thing and that may create issues with LILs or RSNs.

What DISH doesn't know won't likely hurt either party and the truth is much easier to remember consistently.
Out of curiosity, what issues would it cause? I don't subscribe to RSNs, so I am not worried about that.

I am registered as an RV account. On labor weekend I was in the Quad Cities which is an EA market. I have been into EA markets before and did lived with SD Locals. But on this occasion, I ran into a CSR who wouldn't get off the kick of changing from WA to EA required a Tech to re-position the dish. I pointed out that Dish does not make service calls on an RV and if he would arrive, he wouldn't even consider messing with my Trav'ler dish. I gave up after almost an hour of debate.

The result, even those of RVers who can "move" can have problems. I have a script that keeps my billing address from changing but if you are practiced in this, the Billing Address is often changed along with the Service Address.

The reason we don't have the RV specific CSRs now is they were re-purposed to handle illegal movers because they cause Dish a lot of problems with the Broadcasters. Be advised.

Many years ago I moved to a white area in oil city pa. i didnt want to use a random persons address, since they could already have dish, so i used the address of one of my customers, a elementary school ..... figured it could never cause troubles

well many months later a box of mine died, and despite repeatedly telling the CSR to ship the box to my billing address, they sent it to my physical address. a 2.5 hour drive each way:( the school called, and i spent the day driving, explained to the principal what was up, and gave him a future service call..... free

he still wasnt amused, but did thank me it was the 2nd building to get a receiver from dish, i wasnt the only one doing this:)

at the time jen worked 3 to 11s, as a RN so she liked watching the west coast programs in real time.
this was before the first dishplayer came out..

now with a rear few exceptions i dont even know what times shows are on.......

So do I (tend to worry), but I have been a mover (800 miles away) for 2 years now with no problems. I used Dish chat on their website to ask to have my service address changed, no problem.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I'm a full time rv'er and DISH customer and have been for 10 years. There is no longer any distinction between an RV account and any other account. At one time there may have been some advantage/disadvantage to being an "RV account", but that no longer is true.

On labor weekend I was in the Quad Cities which is an EA market. I have been into EA markets before and did lived with SD Locals. But on this occasion, I ran into a CSR who wouldn't get off the kick of changing from WA to EA required a Tech to re-position the dish. I pointed out that Dish does not make service calls on an RV and if he would arrive, he wouldn't even consider messing with my Trav'ler dish. I gave up after almost an hour of debate.

This happened to me once. I repeatedly explained that I carried both an EA dish and a WA dish and could set up either way. I finally gave up. I called back and asked for tech support. Tech support fully understood and notated my account as having EA or WA capability. Haven't had the problem since, and that was several years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell
Actually, I was looking at two cost cutting strategies, both involving downgrading to the Welcome Pack which I have already done. I was considering "moving" to the Albuquerque market as they have more locals (at least in English) than we do here in El Paso. This would have given me more channels to record from but of course the downside is the loss of local news without having to resort to an outdoor antenna.
However, I remembered that the most satisfied I have ever been with a choice of programming was when taking Netflix DVDs. There is still a much greater selection from Netflix through the mail than streaming. Besides, I only have 2 mb/s internet service and although steaming seems to come through it is far from ideal. So, I decided to reinstate my Netflix DVD membership (3 at a time).
With the Welcome Pack I get some live news, weather and light entertainment, plus local news by staying in my own DMA. By depending on DVDs for more serious programming I am now looking into exchanging the Hopper for a 211z (I have another thread going for that). Without the DVR fee, this will get my monthly bill down to the minimum $20 per month which is what is required by the contract. Obviously this is not a plan that would work for everyone but as I live alone and have only one TV I feel it will give me the best of both worlds for about $36/month ($20 for DISH and $16 for Netflix).
This forum is such a great resource in making these choices and is an interesting pastime in itself.

Back in the day both Dish & DirecTV had separate "RV" account programs. If you had an RV account you could qualify for distant network service which meant you got either the network stations from NY and LA, or whatever ones they were supplying back then. RV accounts weren't eligible for the local channels where you were located at the time though, and as others have said didn't get Regional Sports Networks because they were considered outside their market. Dish lost the right to offer distant network stations directly years ago (for awhile they did offer them through another company who leased channel space on their birds, but that's another story).

Now there aren't really RV accounts per say, they phased out their "RV" department years ago. If you have a Hopper system in your home you're allowed to add one 211z receiver as an RV receiver to your home account for use when you travel. You get your local channels for where you live, and as others have stated you pretty much can call dish anytime you want, say you're travelling and they will change your service address to that location. They do have a pay as you go program that targets RV owners but it isn't a requirement. It works with either their portable Tailgater or Pathway X2 dishes (or a Dish on a tripod). It carries a slightly higher price, but you can cut it off and on frequently if you need to.

DirecTV on the other hand does still offer the distant network services, and to get them you are supposed to have a separate account for your home and your RV. But even those accounts now are eligible for local channels and RSN's based on the service address the person has. Even they no longer have a distinction between RV and home accounts though.

Why would the tech go to your billing address for a service call, especially when you have a different service address ?
When I set up the appointment to have the HWS installed, I told them the address where the tech should go(my billing address), there were no questions asked. Like I said, they don't really care.
That said, I'm fairly certain there may be a few CSR's at Dish that are pretty anal about such things and may question the address situation, but I've not encountered any of then thus far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)