If the NFL adds 2 more Regular Season games...

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
who would get those games? Would it be CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFL Network or somebody else? When would these games happen? Would they start the season earlier or keep the current system and just add 2 weeks to the end of the regular season?
Would there be any schedule changes? In other words, would their be more Saturday double headers? Would there be Mon. Night Football double headers?
It seems like a very interesting situation.

remove 2 pre season games then :)

As for TV, same rules would apply for CBS & FOX as they do now. ESPN and NBC can get their games in there too

who would get those games? Would it be CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFL Network or somebody else? When would these games happen? Would they start the season earlier or keep the current system and just add 2 weeks to the end of the regular season?
Would there be any schedule changes? In other words, would their be more Saturday double headers? Would there be Mon. Night Football double headers?
It seems like a very interesting situation.

I believe they want to eliminate the 3rd and 4th exhibition games, starting the season earlier. I wish they would just do it, all ready. I hate exhibition season.

I agree - exhibition is too long. How do you have an exhibition schedule that is 25% the length of the regular season. Too long, too many injuries. Or if they want to have 3 exhibition games, then get rid of the bye week as well.

As I heard it:

The NFL season would still start the week after Labor Day and end 18 weeks later, with no off weeks, thus extending the season only one week, really. The exhibiton "season" would start two weeks later than now, and consist of only 2 games.

The games would be apportioned as now, Sunday afternoons on Fox and CBS, Sunday night on NBC, and Monday night on ESPN, with Thursday night games in the first 3 weeks, apportioned beteween ESPN, NBC and NFLN.

Many stadium contracts or PSLs only call for 8 home games. In that case, the 9th game will be held in international locations, large college stadiums in the draw area of the team, and such.

As I heard it:

Many stadium contracts or PSLs only call for 8 home games. In that case, the 9th game will be held in international locations, large college stadiums in the draw area of the team, and such.

You seriously think that they would say NOPE no more home games ?
They would quickly make provisions to add another home game with out blinking an eye .... another day at the bank for the owners, thats a no brainer.

Jimbo

i agree with removing two games from pre season but i would like the regular season to stay at 16 games. i love football but to me this will put a lot more wear and tare on the teams. the intensity during the pre season is no match to the intensity during the regular season. and it doesn't get more intense than the playoffs so you want your team as healthy and energetic as possible for the playoffs.

You seriously think that they would say NOPE no more home games ?
They would quickly make provisions to add another home game with out blinking an eye .... another day at the bank for the owners, thats a no brainer.

Ahh, but that is the rub. Of course the PSL owners, general season ticket holders, and the government stadium authority would say yes to a game.

But that is not the deal.

Lets take, just for an example Atlanta (this is just a hypothetical). The PSL contract (which is fully paid up_ says they can buy "all" eight regular season games. The contract with the city says they have to play "all" eight games in the Georgia Dome.

So game nine is at say UGa, or Clemson, or USC (the one in Columbia) or UA,, or Auburn. All of which hold more than the Dome and which can be sold at a higher price due to the once in a decade or so novelity.

So they screw the PSL and the city out of a game.

Ahh, but that is the rub. Of course the PSL owners, general season ticket holders, and the government stadium authority would say yes to a game.

But that is not the deal.

Lets take, just for an example Atlanta (this is just a hypothetical). The PSL contract (which is fully paid up_ says they can buy "all" eight regular season games. The contract with the city says they have to play "all" eight games in the Georgia Dome.

So game nine is at say UGa, or Clemson, or USC (the one in Columbia) or UA,, or Auburn. All of which hold more than the Dome and which can be sold at a higher price due to the once in a decade or so novelity.

So they screw the PSL and the city out of a game.

Why would in your theory, the owners and others you mentioned NOT want a 9th game at home ?

Also, you said: Once in a decade or so
This would have to happen EVERY year, they would not be adding 2 more games for just this season, it would be that way until they decide to make it 20.

Jimbo

Dont the teams already play two preseason games at home and charge the season ticketholders full price for these games

For the love of god, please let Sandra return and rip the (insert-something-funny-here)-Landers.

I'd like to see Visitor go head-to-head with her and defend the not-so-good-Landers.

The Isles don't need any defense. Everyone knows they're going to suck it up this year with the rebuilding, but I'm a fan because of the team - not because of their record!

And Sabres fans shouldn't throw stones living in glass houses. Thanks to Buffalo and Edmonton, the Isles isn't the last team NHLers want to play on! :D

Her, and myself (Still not happy that the Isles stole Zhitnik, Satan, and Peca- but thanks for LaFontaine!)

Satan was my favorite player in the NHL, even when he was on the Sabres, but we didn't steal him - that was your GM that threw him away. You guys didn't want him! :) I really am going to miss him and I think it was mistake to not resign him. Peca ended up in Toronto eventually so you shouldn't feel any love-lost for him. Zhitnik was good but a victim of a cluttered D line at that time and a disposable salary.

All great players I loved having on the Isles. But yeah, you guys stole LaFontaine from us (though I really did like Turgeon a lot).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts