If you cancel E

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
It appears you must call to request a refund. I cancelled july 17th and was waiting for mine so I called today.

They asked repeatedly if I wanted to restore my service. I told them I cut all the wiring and recycled my dishes for scrap metal :) which is at least partially true:)

They harrased me wanting roo numbers from my receivers and I got pissed off, stating I was told a refund would be issued at the time I cancelled. If E had done their job in a business like fashion I wouldnt have to call....

Well they said they would put in a request for a refund, and it would take 5 to 7 business days...

At least they didnt try claiming my boxes are leased.......

I thanked them for the fee jacking it got me shopping and i am happy with tivo and comcast:)

E should refund every canceling sub having to call them just makes them less likely to EVER sub again......

Same thing happened to me so I'm not surprised. I had to call them 3 or 4 times and each time they said they would process the credit refund but never did.

Same thing with returning their equipment, you have to call them to get the damn boxes.

maybe they hope the sub will change their mind and restore service? that will never happen here..!!!
What if Charlie wakes up to the alarming churn and orders the fee-jacking to end? What if (for example) he orders NO FEES on receivers we own? What if he calls up his old buddy and offers heartfelt apologies for being asleep at the wheel when the beancounters took over and ran rampant over his customers?

OK, never happen. But what if?

Found out the other day a dirty trick that D* does, just wondering if E* is doing the same thing.

I had a customer who had E* for almost 3 yrs and was wanting to go back to D*. We kept getting errors trying to process his paperwork & come to find out D* put his account on hold for 6 months when he called in originally to cancel his service.

A word to all. When you call to cancel make sure it is canceled and not put on hold. This tactic does in fact delay many things including when you are eligible to sign back up again & receive new customer promotions.

I just looked & it is 848 days, almost 2 1/2 yrs not 3 as stated above.

Last edited:
What if Charlie wakes up to the alarming churn and orders the fee-jacking to end? What if (for example) he orders NO FEES on receivers we own? What if he calls up his old buddy and offers heartfelt apologies for being asleep at the wheel when the beancounters took over and ran rampant over his customers?

OK, never happen. But what if?

Currently I am VERY happy with comcast, and under no circumstances will I return to E.

If comcast fails me I would go with D.

When I leave any provider espically one who blatantly tried ripping me off and now wouldnt refund my $ its a one way move.... the fee jacking is all out theft of subs money. 30 buck increases are insane..

TCI found that out I insisted they cut down their service drop to my home. After stating it was impossible I said fine I got my diagionals hope I dont do any colateral damage...

They cut down my drop but werent happy. I cemented shut where the cable entered my home:)

It goes both ways:) When a sub leaves E they should do it cleanly, not leave a outstanding balance return equiptement in good shape and promptly.

But when someone cancels E they should treat the departing sub cleanly too. No harasing come back calls, refund money promptly without delay.

When E screws around with departing subs and makes them pay to return leased equiptement, and delays refund they are peeing in their own drinking water. miss treated subs will be less likely to ever return and tell others.

I am thinking of filing a BBB complaint and talking to my friend Jason Altmire my congressman about a subscribers bill of rights......

I have contacted consumer reports too. with any luck E may get a not recommended by that magazine. they are earning the rating.

Just to be fair when I left DIRECTV it took me two months to get the few hundred $$'s they owed me.

Kind of a sad but common thing unfortunately. :(

I just canceled dish (via chat) on Saturday and they said they would ship me the boxes for returning the receivers. I tried to log into my old account to verify things and the account had been deleted.

In the chat they made it clear they would charge me $100-$400 per receiver if they were not returned in 30 days. Do I need to call them to make sure they are sending the boxes?

I will re-coup what I spent for my two new TIVO boxes with what I am saving with FIOS triple-play in just 10 months...unless Dish tried to rip me by saying I have not returned their receivers.

Any advice?

You will get an email stating the confirmation when the boxes ship . And you can track them . If you cancelled Saturday , that email should be in the next day or so . I hope they did not steal you blind while you were with them . Call and check on things if you get no email by late Thursday . Hope that helps and best of luck to you with your move to another company .:) AND .... Be careful with your thinking . If they told you 30 days , they lied to you . 10 days my friend . When you receive the boxes , you have 10 days for them to get the equipment back .

Since I told them I want my refund when I cancelled why should I have to call earlier and put in a request for a refund?

Cancelled account with no leased equiptement should be automatic refund.

Perhaps the bean counters figure many will forget that E owns them money...

I just canceled dish (via chat) on Saturday and they said they would ship me the boxes for returning the receivers. I tried to log into my old account to verify things and the account had been deleted.

In the chat they made it clear they would charge me $100-$400 per receiver if they were not returned in 30 days. Do I need to call them to make sure they are sending the boxes?

I will re-coup what I spent for my two new TIVO boxes with what I am saving with FIOS triple-play in just 10 months...unless Dish tried to rip me by saying I have not returned their receivers.

Any advice?

Hi, give Dish a week or so to send you the notice of the return box. I also recently cancelled and used the chat (not a phone call). The chat has a save a copy of the session and I used it to log my request.

I got the return box no problem and sent the receiver and the LNBs as requested and within a few day I got a note by email that they had received the return.

Later, DC

Dish CSR said at the end of the chat I had a zero balance, so that is good I guess (I canceled about 15 days into the month, so they should have credited that amount). Not worth the effort to fight for those $$.

Got an email last night confirming the cancellation and they were sending the boxes. Hopefully things will go smooth. When I canceled D*, they claimed I was on contract (which I was not). I still get collection calls for $110 from their collection agency after two years of letters, disputes, etc. It will be a cold day in he** before D* gets that money from me. Hopefully things will go better with the E* cancellation.

When I cancelled D*, they tried to make me pay an ETF despite the fact that the contract I signed stated that I only had to return my receivers to D* at D* expense to get out of contract. It took me several weeks to get the boxes to return the receivers. I will sadly be canceling E* soon to go with TWC and Tivo. (no LOS at new house) I will definitely use chat with logging to cancel based on this thread. Thanks again Satellite Guys!

Ted

When I canceled Comcast it took two months of phone calls and two days off from work to prove to them that I bought my cable modem at Circuit City and didn't lease it from them. THEN they started processing my refund.

I gave them a copy of my receipt, I brought them the original box the modem came in, with "RETAIL" in big black letters printed on top of it, and they basically called me a thief and a liar, because their "system" showed I had a leased cable modem. :rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)