If you count RSNs Directv has over 150 hd national channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zellio2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
After looking it over, it doesn't seem like D* isn't adding channels, it more or less seems like their going after every damn sport on the planet.

I can definately see why their doing this, but my god! Haven't they reached the edge pretty much? I mean they now have CricketTicket!

I'm hoping they use the rest of d10, the spaceway that has been freed if tons of space by moving local channels to d10 spot beams, and d11 for real national channels and premium movie channels. I mean really enough is enough. How many more sports could they add?

Honestly if they used the current d10 and spaceway they'd have enough for most or all premium movie channels.

I could see this D* killing Fios in every way possible in the next few months if they now decide to use the extra bandwidth on what we want and not get random sports like croquet or mud wrestling (although I wouldn't mind women's naked mud wrestling D?)

No responses?

After thinking about it, if we already count 'HD' networks showing stretch-o-vision why the hell not count RSNs as national?

Not only that, but we count MTV HD as a national HD channel, which has shown something HD maybe once?

Besides, RSNs make sports packages far better and I imagine people would love them if D* was adding regular network nationals as well.

It is all a matter of opinion. As I see it, if anyone can watch them, they are national. There are even ways around blackouts if one wants. Of course I do not expect everyone to agree with that view.

I hate most sports too. I doubt anyone subscribes to Cricket Ticket, or MLS Direct Kick, or most of the other packages, especially in today's economy. Give me more HD premium movie channels NOW!

The only way I'd ever subscribe to an out of market sports package is if I owned a sports bar with at least 10 TV's.

REGIONAL sports networks should NEVER be counted as national channels. In my estimation DirecTV has 76 HD national (NO BLACKOUTS) channels

Honestly why not? We've counted networks like TBS-HD, TNT-HD, MTV-HD (And most Viacom stations) as BEING HD WHEN THEY DON'T HARDLY SHOW HD.

What is the difference between a blackout and stretch-o-vision? I'd rather have a black screen then stretch-o-vision.

I hate most sports too. I doubt anyone subscribes to Cricket Ticket, or MLS Direct Kick, or most of the other packages, especially in today's economy. Give me more HD premium movie channels NOW!

The only way I'd ever subscribe to an out of market sports package is if I owned a sports bar with at least 10 TV's.
Just because one hates a channel has nothing to do with the fact that it is or is not national.

Too me it is this simple. If it is available nationally, even if one has to pay extra to see it (just like they do with premiums), then it IS national. RSNs are available national and anyone can pay extra to see them and they can pay extra to see pro games on them as well, therefor they are national.

yes but premiums only have one flat fee. RSN's can have up to 7 fees depending on how many sports you want to be able to actually watch on them (Sports Pack fee, MLBEI fee, NBALP fee, NHLCI fee, ESPNFC fee, ESPNGP fee, MLSDK fee, oh plus the HD Access fee) . it adds up to hundreds (thousands even?) of dollars! Who has that kind of money? (well except AIG executives)

yes but premiums only have one flat fee. RSN's can have up to 7 fees depending on how many sports you want to be able to actually watch on them (Sports Pack fee, MLBEI fee, NBALP fee, NHLCI fee, ESPNFC fee, ESPNGP fee, MLSDK fee, oh plus the HD Access fee) . it adds up to hundreds (thousands even?) of dollars!
So being national should depend on how much one pays as opposed to national availability?

exactly! why should people that live in an RSN's market get everything free without blackouts but everyone else has to pay potentially thousands of dollars to see the exact same content? its nothing but corporate greed!

exactly! why should people that live in an RSN's market get everything free without blackouts but everyone else has to pay potentially thousands of dollars to see the exact same content? its nothing but corporate greed!
Then one can make a legitimate argument that Smithsonian should not count since they have to pay extra for HD access and a separate HD extra package, if cost is a determining factor. It will depend on where one chooses to draw the line.

no that argument makes no sense, anyone can get it for ONE FLAT FEE NO MATTER WHERE THEY LIVE! NO BLACKOUTS, NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES FOR CERTAIN SHOWS (AKA GAMES)

NOTE THE KEYWORD HERE IS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

no that argument makes no sense, anyone can get it for ONE FLAT FEE NO MATTER WHERE THEY LIVE!
Actually it is not one flat fee. There is the package fee, the HD access fee, and the HD extra pack fee.

Besides that is not the point. You stated that additional cost is relevant to determining if one should consider a channel national or not. That is a very subjective determination as one can argue that any additional costs, even if the additional cost is one flat fee, can fit into that definition.

RSN'S DO NOT HAVE ONE FLAT FEE SO YOUR ARGUMENT IS IRRELEVANT. THEY HAVE SEVEN: ONE FOR BASEBALL, TWO FOR BASKETBALL (PRO AND COLLEGE), ONE FOR FOOTBALL, ONE FOR HOCKEY, ONE FOR SOCCER. SMITHSONIAN ONLY HAS ONE. MY PROBLEMS WITH RSN'S IS THE BLACKOUTS AND ADDITIONAL FEES FOR CERTAIN SPORTS. PREMIUMS NEVER HAVE ANY BLACKOUTS, EVERYTHING IS ONE FEE NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE.

OH BY THE WAY PREMIUMS DON'T HAVE COMMERCIALS, WHILE RSN'S HAVE TONS.

AND ANOTHER THING, EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF EVERY SINGLE SHOW ON THE HD EXTRA PACK IS IN HD 24 HOURS A DAY, 365 DAYS A YEAR! WHILE RSN'S USUALLY ONLY HAVE HD DURING PRIME TIME!

SINCE YOU'RE OBSESSED WITH THE DODGERS I'LL PUT THAT IN TERMS YOU CAN UNDERSTAND. SINCE YOU LIVE IN SO. CAL YOU GET TO SEE THEM FREE ON PRIME TICKET AND KCAL. BUT SINCE I LIVE HERE IN MICHIGAN I HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO SPORTS PACK TO GET THE PRE-GAME AND POST GAME SHOW, BUT THAT WON'T GET ME THE GAME, I'D STILL HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR MLB EXTRA INNINGS. HOW IS IT FAIR THAT YOU GET THEM FREE BUT I HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA 200 BUCKS TO SEE THE EXACT SAME GAMES?

Last edited:
First, it would be nice if you don't edit your posts after someone quotes you.
RSN'S DO NOT HAVE ONE FLAT FEE SO YOUR ARGUMENT IS IRRELEVANT. THEY HAVE SEVEN: ONE FOR BASEBALL, TWO FOR BASKETBALL (PRO AND COLLEGE), ONE FOR FOOTBALL, ONE FOR HOCKEY, ONE FOR SOCCER. SMITHSONIAN ONLY HAS ONE. MY PROBLEMS WITH RSN'S IS THE BLACKOUTS AND ADDITIONAL FEES FOR CERTAIN SPORTS. PREMIUMS NEVER HAVE ANY BLACKOUTS, EVERYTHING IS ONE FEE NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE.
I never said they didn't have one flat fee. I simply said Smithsonian doesn't have one flat fee either. One has to pay 2 additional fees to see the Smithsonian channel.

I understand your problem. I am simply showing that what one chooses to count can be very subjective, especially if the definition of what constitutes NATIONAL is determined by a extraneous factor, such as additional cost, as opposed to a more mitigating factor, such as national coverage and availability.
OH BY THE WAY PREMIUMS DON'T HAVE COMMERCIALS, WHILE RSN'S HAVE TONS.
Now we are introducting another factor? If you want to bring comercials into the frey, remember that most of the national HD channels have comercials.
AND ANOTHER THING, EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF EVERY SINGLE SHOW ON THE HD EXTRA PACK IS IN HD 24 HOURS A DAY, 365 DAYS A YEAR! WHILE RSN'S USUALLY ONLY HAVE HD DURING PRIME TIME!
Now the number of hours of HD content should also be a determining factor? Man, you love to broaden the definition, don't you? Are you sure you want to go down that road? If that is the case, then ONLY premiums AND HD extra channels should count as they are the ONLY ones that show 24/7 HD content and have no comercials. Oh wait, perhaps they shouldn't because one has to pay additional fees to see them (that is the criteria I think I should use).
SINCE YOU'RE OBSESSED WITH THE DODGERS I'LL PUT THAT IN TERMS YOU CAN UNDERSTAND. SINCE YOU LIVE IN SO. CAL YOU GET TO SEE THEM FREE ON PRIME TICKET. BUT SINCE I LIVE HERE IN MICHIGAN I HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO SPORTS PACK TO GET THE PRE-GAME AND POST GAME SHOW, BUT THAT WON'T GET ME THE GAME, I'D STILL HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR MLB EXTRA INNINGS. HOW IS IT FAIR THAT YOU GET THEM FREE BUT I HAVE TO PAY 200 BUCKS TO SEE THE EXACT SAME GAMES?
I understand what you are saying. Trust me, I understood the whole time. Your frustration is not due to me understanding your point. It is coming for the fact that you are having a difficult time understaning mine.

I am simply using your criteria to show that ANYONE can set their own subjective definition of what consitutes a national channel.

Here is mine (for argument sake only): Any channel that does not show 24/7 HD, and channel that one must pay and additional fee to see on top of the HD fee they are already paying should not count as a national channel. This would mean that Direct now has zero national HD channels by my definition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)