If you have a cooling device, the OTA dual tuner works PERFECTLY!!

Mine is placed in front of my PC cooling fan

Attachments

• 13B3549E-AF2D-4175-BA37-12F0A517B05A.jpeg
    13B3549E-AF2D-4175-BA37-12F0A517B05A.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 465
The heat is only half the problem. The dual tuner does not pick up any of the weaker stations. I can receive stations from both Columbus and Dayton Ohio using the single tuner. With the dual tuner, I can only receive half the stations from Dayton. If you are in a market with strong signals, the dual tuner will work if you keep it cooled. But if you have weak signals you want the single tuner.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

The heat is only half the problem. The dual tuner does not pick up any of the weaker stations. I can receive stations from both Columbus and Dayton Ohio using the single tuner. With the dual tuner, I can only receive half the stations from Dayton. If you are in a market with strong signals, the dual tuner will work if you keep it cooled. But if you have weak signals you want the single tuner.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I use the single tuner to scan the stations in, then power down the receiver and swap for the dual tuner.

I use the single tuner to scan the stations in, then power down the receiver and swap for the dual tuner.

I guess the question is whether that presumably weaker tuner will continue to receive the weaker channels. I am not saying it won't but it is hard to believe. Having said that I wil likely try this I will likely give this a try later this month when I rescan after one of my local stations starts channel sharing with another.

The questions is what will we run into trying to watch these weaker stations. More breakups? If it’s a weaker tuner then some of my stations might be unwatchable. I guess I will also give it a try.

Reactions: pattykay
The questions is what will we run into trying to watch these weaker stations. More breakups? If it’s a weaker tuner then some of my stations might be unwatchable. I guess I will also give it a try.

With the dual tuner, a station needs to display at least 70% on the receiver's signal meter in order for it to be reliable.

Like another op stated - keep the adapter suspended mid air and it will perform just fine.

I’ve had a single tuner and dual tuner adapter fail in the last 2 months.

Need to sign up for dish protect again and submit them for replacement...

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I suppose you could immerse the OTA dongle in a vat of chilled mineral oil to keep it cool.

We have a working computer in our office (plays a power point with messages on it) in a small aquarium filled with mineral oil and a few plastic fish.

I added a fan setup to my dual OTA tuner and noted that while it helps, it does not solve the "lost signal" problem on some of my channels. It is odd watching the lost signal icon meter thingy bounce from nothing to 82 and then back to nothing.

I did however resolve another problem I was having since the fan setup was 2 fans tied into a single power source. Since I noticed the Hopper was warm on the right side I placed the second fan by the vent slots and now my recordings no longer have a momentary skip on the audio track. It was weird to watch the picture portion play back perfectly but have the audio drop out for a second or 2 every few minutes. Didn't always happen and was going to post about it on this forum.

I did check the fan on the left side of the unit and it does spin. This makes me wonder if I have a family of dust bunnies living inside the chassis. Might take a crack at a disassemble of the Hopper and see if it needs a good blowing out or a fan replacement/upgrade. Since I own this thing out right I am not too worried about the warranty.

It there some hidden menu on the hopper that allows you to display signal strength on the OTA tuner?

I added a fan setup to my dual OTA tuner and noted that while it helps, it does not solve the "lost signal" problem on some of my channels. It is odd watching the lost signal icon meter thingy bounce from nothing to 82 and then back to nothing.

I did however resolve another problem I was having since the fan setup was 2 fans tied into a single power source. Since I noticed the Hopper was warm on the right side I placed the second fan by the vent slots and now my recordings no longer have a momentary skip on the audio track. It was weird to watch the picture portion play back perfectly but have the audio drop out for a second or 2 every few minutes. Didn't always happen and was going to post about it on this forum.

I did check the fan on the left side of the unit and it does spin. This makes me wonder if I have a family of dust bunnies living inside the chassis. Might take a crack at a disassemble of the Hopper and see if it needs a good blowing out or a fan replacement/upgrade. Since I own this thing out right I am not too worried about the warranty.

It there some hidden menu on the hopper that allows you to display signal strength on the OTA tuner?
settings then OTA

Reactions: pattykay
In my case the dual tuner performed less well immediately. The performance did degrade further from there. I suspect that elaborate cooling processes might hat the degradation but I doubt it would make it as sensitive as the original single tuner.

settings then OTA
I looked there (OTA channels) but the only things that comes up is the channel list menu that gives me the option to move channels off the guide. Nothing that shows channel strength. The only time I see channel strength is when the info box pops up saying the OTA channel has been lost. In that box, it will show what the signal strength is when the channel comes back.

I looked there (OTA channels) but the only things that comes up is the channel list menu that gives me the option to move channels off the guide. Nothing that shows channel strength. The only time I see channel strength is when the info box pops up saying the OTA channel has been lost. In that box, it will show what the signal strength is when the channel comes back.
If I recall correctly, we used to have the OTA channel strength available before the CUI. I suppose Dish didn't feel we needed this useful feature anymore.

Reactions: Riktar2
On that channel list the highlighted channel gives the signal strength

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)