If you're having trouble receiving discs now

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
It might get even worse. A Blockbuster store that's closing was handing out flyers detailing how to get 2 free months of Total Access instead of the standard 1 month trial. I'm sure it was supposed to be a targeted offer to those in the area of the store, but somebody posted the flyer up to the deal sites. It's got over 9700 views on one site alone. I have a feeling DISH is going to get a lot more new Blockbuster customers than they're expecting.

Good, I want BB to succeed. Hopefully, they will buy more dvds to cover the increase in business.

I belive streaming will be the future and dvds by mail will slowly go away over the next few years. with streaming you don't wait for a disc or two. you have the whole libray ondemand any time you want. when netflix started broad band was just starting to roll out.

I could find nothing at your link that said those titles were available for streaming. They could be just mail order, which would be the same as Blockbuster.

Oops, didn't pay attention to that. Regardless, their website is almost useless for finding content, unless you have a specific title you're looking for.

I belive streaming will be the future and dvds by mail will slowly go away over the next few years.

Yes, eventually the disk rental will go away. But I truly hope this doesn't happen soon! Not until the Internet speed reaches the Blu-ray bit-rates; not until the streaming picture quality significantly improves; not until the lossless HD audio formats become available via streaming; not until the movie selection at BB and Netflix available for streaming matches or gets even close to their disk selection; not until the extras become available too, and so on...

Yes, streaming has its convenience, but for the best home theater experience nothing comes even close to Blu-ray! At least not yet!

dan188 said:
I belive streaming will be the future and dvds by mail will slowly go away over the next few years.

I hope not. I too much prefer having a blu-ray in my hand. I also enjoy getting Xbox games by mail through the service even if the wait times for most of the games are ridiculous.

If the greed of ATT, Cox, Comcast, and etc continues, I do not ever see disc going away. The big boys will keep limiting the bandwidth usuage until the cost of streaming exceeds the cost of mail order disc. THey will not continue to give it away.

"If the greed of ATT, Cox, Comcast, and etc continues, I do not ever see disc going away. The big boys will keep limiting the bandwidth usuage until the cost of streaming exceeds the cost of mail order disc. THey will not continue to give it away. "

Jerryez, don't forget most DSL and Cable internet provides also sell cable service. They see Netflix and all streaming companies as competitors. If they could determine if you were streaming from Netflix I am sure they would try to limit the bandwith based on what you were downloading. I think they will introduce a new low cost/low bandwith tier usless for downloading so they can jack up charges for people with high usage. Also it is just a matter of time before Netflix will have to raise their $7.99 streaming. All the networks and HBO, Stars,etc are demanding substancial price increases. DVD sales are down so studios are trying to delay release streaming and Red Box from 28 days after they sold at retail to 56 days. Studios are also pushing the "UltraViolet" format that will contain a digital copy for your I Pod or phone with purchased Blu Ray movies.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out in the next few years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)