I'll trade a pizza for the right answer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Clemson1955

Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Hi Folks,

I have a confusing problem that I’ve been struggling with for about a month and I was hoping someone here might have an idea.

I have a DirecTV system with a pole mounted dish and a buried cable run of about 75 ft to the house. I have three receivers connected to the dish through an Eagle Apsen 3x4 multi-switch, the unused terminals on the switch are capped and the switch is protected from the weather. Signal strength is in the 90’s on most transponders.

While watching TV a month age the picture began to pixalate and then dropped out. While checking signal strength, I found that every other transponder was dead. I had lost all the even transponders on both satellites 101 and 119. To me, that indicated a connection problem, a bad switch or a bad LNB. I’ve done the following:

1. Cut power to the box for 2 minutes and then re-booted. No help

2. Confirmed that all three receivers had the same problem. They did

3. Checked all connections between the receivers and the dish. Replaced two connectors that looked border line

4. Used a signal injector to check continuity on all lines. Good tone from receiver to switch and switch to dish on all lines.

5. Replaced the multi-switch. No help.

6. Replaced the LNB. No help.

If I go to the switch and flip the positions of the down lead cables from 18v to 13v and vice-versa then I am able to get the even transponders but loose the odd ones.

Now, here’s the most confusing part. If I have the down lead cables in their original positions, i.e. 18v on 18v and 13v on 13v, I can get all channels back (for a while) if I do the following:

1. Go to “system setup” and “install” and then press “autoconfig”.

2. The receiver will identify the switch and look for both satellites. In most cases it gives a message that says it failed to find satellite 101.

3. Then it will download the guide data, sometimes it freezes or times out.

4. If I then switch the 18v and 13v runs while the receiver is on the guide data appears and I have all transponders for a while. Sometimes it’s a few minutes, sometimes it’s a few days. But eventually I loose half of the transponders again. Since I’ve switched the runs from one connector to the other, under this situation I loose the odd transponders.

I’m usually too stubborn to have a technician come to fix something like this, but I’m about out of ideas. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,

Clemson1955

Sounds like a bad cable. One cable has a crack in it and with the weather (heat cold and moisture) expands and contracts.

That would be my guess. (No pizza required, I am fat enough) :D

I agree it's probably the cable. I had a similar situation happen to me. I replaced the cable from the dish into my receiver and the problem went away.

To isolate if it is a cable/switch or dish issue, run a known good cable directly from the LNB to the box (take a portable TV out to the dish if you have one). You didn't mention if your burried cables were in conduit or just burried? Burrowing critters do just love to chew on 'em.

Double check and clean your ground on the dish - a bad or intermittent ground with loose connections could be altering the voltage supplied to the LNB, especially if your soil type is a little acidic (acts a little like a battery when wet).

What kind of weather change did you have, if any, when the problem first appeared?

It's a pain in the butt, but you really need to isolate this to one good cable (new) without the switch (or use the new switch). You didn't mention where you live, but with these temperature drops all sorts of problems like this happen to cables/connections & switches. If you don't want to restrict your household to only one cable (for the test) I would suggest cutting every outtdoor coax connection & replacing them with top of the line compression fittings. Also make sure your copper connector isn't too long when making your new splices. While I'm not sure about your switch model, I believe it should only be capped (plastic) & not terminated like the old LAN connections.

Best of luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)