I’m a DirecTV installer, here to to help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Theattguy, here we go!

I've got a system with two receivers, both HR24s with OTA sidecars. The Living Room HR24 has the power inserter. The question is...can I switch out the BEDROOM HR24 with a Genie 2? My concern is that both boxes will be trying to send voltage back to the dish to power the switch and LNBs. FWIW, the two boxes come off a splitter and there is a line on the splitter indicating (to me, at least) that power should pass only from the living room.
You can't have an HR24 with a Genie 2, assuming you mean the HS17. To answer your question, the system detects both voltages but only uses one. I'm not sure how it actually does it.

Thanks Theattguy, here we go!

I've got a system with two receivers, both HR24s with OTA sidecars. The Living Room HR24 has the power inserter. The question is...can I switch out the BEDROOM HR24 with a Genie 2? My concern is that both boxes will be trying to send voltage back to the dish to power the switch and LNBs. FWIW, the two boxes come off a splitter and there is a line on the splitter indicating (to me, at least) that power should pass only from the living room.

Unfortunately the beginning of your post should read ...

"Hey, Theattguy where'd you go?"

Since shortly after introducing himself and promising to help out here. He disappeared and hasn't been heard from in weeks.

Anyway to answer your question, only Mini clients are allowed on the same account and installation with a Genie-2. So both of your HR24s must go if you upgrade to it. And with it your AM21s as well since they're not compatible with the G2.

Personally I would replace the HR24 in the LR with an HR54 Genie which will work with the AM21 and also has an integrated PI so you can remove the external PI from that line.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
... To answer your question, the system detects both voltages but only uses one. I'm not sure how it actually does it.

Actually, it's only the DC power supply on the power-passing ports of the SWiM splitter that reaches the SWiM-LNB or multiswitch. A DC power supply on any other port is simply blocked.

So say the poster takes my suggestion, but chooses to place the HR54 in the BR instead of the LR. He would then keep the external PI where it currently is on the pwr.-pass ports of the SWiM splitter. And the DC supply from the integrated PI of the HR54 would be blocked by the non-pwr.- pass port on the splitter it's connected to.

Actually, it's only the DC power supply on the power-passing ports of the SWiM splitter that reaches the SWiM-LNB or multiswitch. A DC power supply on any other port is simply blocked.

So say the poster takes my suggestion, but chooses to place the HR54 in the BR instead of the LR. He would then keep the external PI where it currently is on the pwr.-pass ports of the SWiM splitter. And the DC supply from the integrated PI of the HR54 would be blocked by the non-pwr.- pass port on the splitter it's connected to.

But can't you connect a power inserter in line with an HS17 with no ill effects?

But can't you connect a power inserter in line with an HS17 with no ill effects?
Sure, if you wanted to connect the HS17 directly to a SWiM-LNB or to the pwr.-passing port of the SWiM splitter, but not actually use the integrated PI to power the LNB for some reason ...

In such a case the DC supply from the integrated PI of the HS17 would be blocked by an internal capacitor on the receiver port of the external PI.

Then the external PI only supplies pwr. to the LNB.

I've been installing DirecTV for the past 14 years, if you need any help with your system feel free to ask!

Ok Installer Guy...I have a frustrating issue. Installing a new H24-200 HD Receiver for a elder lady who purchased a RV Slim Line Dish with an SL3K4 NR2-01 LNB 1 wire style.....I have all the Dish Alignment setttings right on the money with NO Signal, I am not sure which Dish Type to select in the setup and I am fairly certain it is the Switch Type is Multi Switch not SW. I would certainly appreciate you Help.

Gary in Remote Stanley Idaho

Ok Installer Guy...I have a frustrating issue. Installing a new H24-200 HD Receiver for a elder lady who purchased a RV Slim Line Dish with an SL3K4 NR2-01 LNB 1 wire style.....I have all the Dish Alignment setttings right on the money with NO Signal, I am not sure which Dish Type to select in the setup and I am fairly certain it is the Switch Type is Multi Switch not SW. I would certainly appreciate you Help.

Gary in Remote Stanley Idaho
Tech guy / installer bolted, so you are stuck with just us knowledge folks.

Usually back in the day when I did installs I used to use a cheap satellite finder because just going by the alignment numbers was not enough to get a signal. Would always be just a hair off etc. Did you try to move the dish very slightly when looking at the signals?

Tech guy / installer bolted, so you are stuck with just us knowledge folks.

Usually back in the day when I did installs I used to use a cheap satellite finder because just going by the alignment numbers was not enough to get a signal. Would always be just a hair off etc. Did you try to move the dish very slightly when looking at the signals?

I use a signal meter out at the Dish and have NO signal on the Dish located Meter or on the Signal meters on the Direc TV Screen. That is why I was wondering if the LNB selection and the switch s elections are wrong. I am beginning to wonder if the "new"Winegard receiver is sick.
Gary

Yes, you should select "SL3" for Dish Type in the receiver setup and "multiswitch" for the Switch Type.

Also make sure there is a "B-Band Converter" (BBC) attached to the incoming line before the receiver since you're using a legacy setup.

Alignment can be tricky on a Slimline due the narrow peaks of the Ka band signals as opposed to the much broader peaks of the Ku. But for starters, in particular make sure the mast is plumb and careful the elevation setting is on the indicator mark. Not what you estimate is the center of the bolt.

Yes, you should select "SL3" for Dish Type in the receiver setup and "multiswitch" for the Switch Type.

Also make sure there is a "B-Band Converter" (BBC) attached to the incoming line before the receiver since you're using a legacy setup.

Alignment can be tricky on a Slimline due the narrow peaks of the Ka band signals as opposed to the much broader peaks of the Ku. But for starters, in particular make sure the mast is plumb and careful the elevation setting is on the indicator mark. Not what you estimate is the center of the bolt.

I wondered if the B Band Converter was the issue as when I used the SL3 selection it indicates the need for B Band Converter.....Hmmmm

Here we go again..a simple help the little ol' lady and it turned into a chase for fixing the obvious.....Thanks I'll keep on this.
Gary

The lack of B band converter on a legacy dish will only prevent reception of 99cb and 103cb. 101 and 99ca/103ca will come in fine. If you had no signal at all, the B band converter wasn't the problem.

The lack of B band converter on a legacy dish will only prevent reception of 99cb and 103cb. 101 and 99ca/103ca will come in fine. If you had no signal at all, the B band converter wasn't the problem.
As well as local Ka-lo spotbeam tp. channels 15-24 at 99(s) and 103(s) need the BBC for reception too.

But yes, if there's no signal at all the problem is not the lack of a BBC and has to be in the dish alignment or a dish, LNB, or coax, hardware issue.

:welcome to Satelliteguys GARY GADWA!
CHIP.
Thanks for your help soon as I rounded up a B Band Converter......I had 90%......little tweak and off and running...as usual spent more time on the Phone to authorize the system than any thing else.
Again Thanks,

Gary
Stanley, IDAHO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)