I'm caught between a rock (PS3) and a hard place (XBOX360)...

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I have pulled exactly 10% out of my checking account (after direct deposit) each week and have saved to $550. It really didn't take that long, but it's now done. Alright, I have a cousin who works for EBGames that indicates they are getting rid of the 20GB Playstation 3 system (a rumor that is true that I have also read here). He has purchased several and then sold them on EBay. Anyways, he got a massive discount on one yesterday and offered it to me for $400. It's brand new in the box and has never been opened. However, the primary reason I had initially said I would purchase one was Grand Theft Auto IV. But, I know that it will also be realeased on the XBOX360. I have traditionally purchased Sony (as I owned the PS2 and the original Playstation).

I'm wondering: Can I save my progress on PS2 games on the PS3? I had difficulty doing this with PS1 games on my PS2. Do I simply switch the memory card over or is there more to it? I don't need a whole lot of space to save new PS3 games and the only three I am considering (at this point) is Grand Theft Auto IV in October, MotorStorm, and Calling All Cars. Will 20GB be sufficient to do this? Does the game automatically save or, as I have had to do with all previous systems, must I purchase a memory card?

If I purchase the XBOX360, I would purchase Forza Motorsports, Halo 3, and Grand Theft Auto IV. However, I'd heard numerous problems about the hardware... Plus, if I purchase the XBOX360, I will get the Premium edition. I had originally planned on doing this but now that I can get the 20GB PS3 at the same price ($400), I'm curious as to what suggestions others might have and the pros-and-cons of a 20GB PS3 compared to the XBOX360 Premium? I would also consider purchasing a steering wheel for the XBOX360 if that's the system I buy.

Thanks-
Cade

Well first of all if your buddy got a massive discount on the 20GB PS3 and is selling it to you for $400 then he is only giving you $99 off. Which is a good deal but falls way below my version of massive discount. I do not own a PS3 right now for the simple reason that there is such a lack of games for it at the moment. If your looking for a system with plenty of games now and coming in the next few months the 360 is the way to go. Especially since Metal Gear Solid got pushed back to March of 08.

I'm wondering: Can I save my progress on PS2 games on the PS3? I had difficulty doing this with PS1 games on my PS2. Do I simply switch the memory card over or is there more to it? I don't need a whole lot of space to save new PS3 games and the only three I am considering (at this point) is Grand Theft Auto IV in October, MotorStorm, and Calling All Cars. Will 20GB be sufficient to do this? Does the game automatically save or, as I have had to do with all previous systems, must I purchase a memory card?

The short answer to your question is yes you can save your PS2 game data on the PS3. You create virtual memory cards on the PS3 hard drive. Very easy to do. I also think you can save your old PS2 data off of your memory cards to the PS3 hard drive if you purchase the memory card reader. Not 100% sure on the transfer of data but I thought I heard you could do it.

Just to add, the new firmware update (1.80) allows you to now transfer back and forth (PS2 to PS3) and (PS3 to PS2) using the memory card adapter. This by the way is like $20.00.

xbox 360

I feel you will have a much better time if you get an xbox 360. There is a game coming out next month for the xbox 360 called Dirt. I downloaded the demo and it is much better than Motorstorm in my opinion. Also GTA will be out for x360 also soon. You could even try and get an Elite xbox 360 which comes with 120gig hard drive. I have never had any hardware issues with my xbox 360 and I have had it since Christmas. I play it all the time. Tony Hawk Project 8, GRAW 2, COD 3, PGR 3, and tons of demos that I download over xbox live.

I got my 360 on release day and it still runs great. If you are looking for gaming I reccommend that a lot more than the PS3. I have both and use the PS3 solely for Blu-Ray (and based on software sales I'd say thats a majority of people) and the 360 mostly for gaming although I do have a lot of HD DVDs that I play on it as well (with the optional drive)

Plain & Simple. Do you want a system you can enjoy now or one that you will enjoy in a few months? The 360 has more great exclusive titles while the PS3 has 2.

The 360 has:

Gears of War
Forza 2
PGR3
Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Viva Pinata

The PS3 has:

Motor Storm
Resistance Fall of Man

The 360 has a workable online community while the PS3 has, well whatever it has. Sony has been talking about it forever and its still primitive compared to Live at best.

The PS3 certainly has a lot of potential but at the moment that potential look like it will realized in late fall at best.

I'd also consider waiting for a price drop and until they start packing in a new controller with the rumble feature.

By the way, both my brothers and I have had 360 units since launch and no of us has had any problems.

Be sure to post what you've decided.

Keep saving your money, download entropia universe, play it, win lots with the cash you've built up for this purchase and down the road use your earnings to buy both. I have been playing EU since January. I am loosing lots of money, but if you just focus on trading and buy at zero markeup and sell at a markup you can win lots.... 100-200 bucks will get you mid level equipment. 400-500 should, if you purchase wisely get you really good stuff that you should be able to sell to others at a big markup.

I would save up my money until a killer app forces you to make a decision. I bought a 360, and my wife and I love playing DOA4. I like playing Dead Rising a lot too. It largely depends on whether or not you are a typical American gamer though. If you like FPS, war sims, and racers, then 360 isn't a bad system. Personally I'm getting tired of the same old macho dorko crap which is why I might get a Wii or a PS3 (or both) eventually. I like quirky titles and outside of Viva Pinata, 360 doesn't deliver much on that aspect. Sony usually offers a wide variety of genres even if the start of the PS3's life has been ridiculously stagnant.

My fav game companies have always been Nintendo and Sega and the current state of next gen games has me a little disappointed. I might be a candidate for the Wii, but I'm just so put off by the fact that they didn't go HD. Mario in high def would have been sweet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)