I'm considering Flex TV

scoot28

Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
North Carolina
Hello all, I’m glad to be part of this forum. I didn't see a Flex TV sub forum so I thought maybe my questions should be here. Let me know if not..

First of all, I’m considering leaving Charter and go with Flex TV, no contract. It seems like the most flexible way to go. You pay, you watch, you don't pay, you don't watch, that simple

Beginner questions:
I want to set 2 TVs with the least amount of out of pocket expense as possible. I’m considering buying a 222k receiver for 2 TVs and maybe doing the install myself. But I’m not sure if I can get a good signal without the right equipment.
What would you recommend or what options do I have?
Thanks
Scoot28

Flex TV is for people who have no credit or bad credit. I wouldn't go that route unless I had no other choice.

Its for people that don't want a contract either.

If you want HD on both tv's I would go with two 211's. You can add an external hard drive to the 211's and pay a one time $40 fee that turns them into dvr's. You can also connect an over the air antenna to the 211's to receive your locals in case Dish doesn't offer all of your locals. usually the subchannels in a local area are not carried on satellite.

What locals you will receive will determine if you need an Eastern Arc Dish or a Western Arc Dish.

Flex TV fees: $199 activation fee, $49 211k upgrade fee (price of a second 211k would be determined by the seller). Also, the 1st months bill is due prior to activation. Installation is included.

The Flex TV promo does not include any monthly programming discounts or freebies like the DHA24 or Flex24 promos do.

I thought the poster clearly laid out what he wanted. Maybe he's not in a position to have or want a contract, perhaps will not watch for some months. There's no upgrade fees or installation fees if he buys and installs his own equipment.
But good points were made. Be sure you know you will not qualify for any of the deep new customer discounts.

As mentioned the locals channels you get where you are will determine what satellites, and of course that you can see the satellites with no obstructions.

As for getting the signal, there's nothing special in getting the signal, or really any equipment better than another. (Size of Dish yes, but not so relevant for the Continental US) Since it's digital it's pretty much either you get the signal or you don't. However peaking the signal to get it as high as you can when you do the install will help lessen rain fade.

Last edited:
Whoa.. time out. IF I dont want a contract w/ DISH, and have my own equipement, then am charged 199$ for activation?
IF so, its a rediculous cash grab..

We do need DIRT to answer that question. I keep seeing installation is free from different sites. If that is the case, a start-up fee that includes installation is more acceptable, and makes sense. There may be no fee if you install yourself, again we need DIRT to answer. PM sent.

We do need DIRT to answer that question. I keep seeing installation is free from different sites. If that is the case, a start-up fee that includes installation is more acceptable, and makes sense. There may be no fee if you install yourself, again we need DIRT to answer.

That how I thought the program worked.

There are 2 options for those that do not want to have a contract. 1. FlexTV. FlexTV has a $199 activation fee. Receivers have to be purchased $49-$349 and dish/retailer installed 2. Activation. Activation has a $0 activation fee. You must own your receivers and dish will not do the install although you may find a retailer that will. Both of these are pay in advance accounts. Please keep in mind all offers/promotions are subject to change.

There are 2 options for those that do not want to have a contract. 1. FlexTV. FlexTV has a $199 activation fee. Receivers have to be purchased $49-$349 and dish/retailer installed 2. Activation. Activation has a $0 activation fee. You must own your receivers and dish will not do the install although you may find a retailer that will. Both of these are pay in advance accounts. Please keep in mind all offers/promotions are subject to change.

I will not signup or install a fee based system, too much of a risk. I know other retailers that won't do them either.

Ok, so it seems he can buy his own equipment, install it and pay nothing more than whatever his monthly fees are using the Activation option. He can pay an installer to install it. Then pay or not pay as he wishes to use the service.

The Flex plan must vary by retailer, one very reputable one has installation for free for their area. That Flex plan sounds very close to what I was thinking, though you have to buy one receiver from them. But the 211K is only $169.00 there. So with them you pay $199.00, includes installation, any you buy a 211K that you own for $169 and one month service. Still sounds like a decent deal if you can't/don't want a contract.

Last edited:
Can those on Flex benefit from any promos/freebies?
Cheers, K

Yes - I have a flex account, and over the course of 3 or 4 years, I have gotten the premiums free for 3 months, multi-sport free for 3 months, and multi-sport 1/2 off for 6 months. I am sure there are some promos that I can't get, but I have received some.

you guys are acting like the 211 Receiver is one fantastic piece of equipment which it isn't. If you don't want a contract, go cable, unless there is something else you aren't telling us.
'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts