i'm dying here

brannan

Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
ok guys, i'm dying here

i go to school in montreal and, no offense, but canadian television is lacking what some might say to be quality. so i'm dying, i'm in residence right now, but i have my house for the next 3 years and me and my roommates are wanting US Satellite, mainly ESPN, but we want US tv and not this CTV, GLobal BS. Anybody know something i dont about getting it, because i know a few people that do have it. Any ideas?

Brannan

You will need someone in the United States to use their address to receive your bill and activate your equipment. You will also have to self-install since the US Services obviously won't install there in Montreal. Many people do this to get Canadian DBS in the US, but I'm not sure of the legality of the reverse. I know that has been ruled illegal to hack US services in Canada, but I don't know if that applied to legally paying for US services as well.

Get ahold of satellite store locally (not box store), the very least they would be able to do the install for you.

JosephB said:
I know that has been ruled illegal to hack US services in Canada, but I don't know if that applied to legally paying for US services as well.
Unfortunately it's also illegal in Canada to subscribe to a U.S. service as well :mad:. You can think BEV and StarChoice for that, as they didn't want to compete against Dish and Direct, so therefore petition the gov't to do something and rule U.S. Satellite illegal.
This is not the case in the U.S., where there is no law against subscribing to a foreign service (thank you First Amendment). The only hoops there is finding a way to subscribe. Worst that ever happens is the service cuts you off, if they are not licensed to cover the States. But you are safe from any criminal liability, as no laws were broken. Note, it is still illegal to hack a foreign service though.

Derwin0 said:
Unfortunately it's also illegal in Canada to subscribe to a U.S. service as well :mad:. You can think BEV and StarChoice for that, as they didn't want to compete against Dish and Direct, so therefore petition the gov't to do something and rule U.S. Satellite illegal.

It wasn't illegal before April 2002, when the reverse grey market was allowed in Canada. In April 2002, the Canadian Supreme Court issued a clarification that the RCA prohibited Canadians from subbing to a foreign service. This clarification mainly focused on grey market equipment vendors.

Until Oct. 28, 2004. Quebec Judge Danielle Cote ruled that such RCA prohibition violated the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom. It was a Quebec ruling but it will greatly influence future similar cases in other provinces. That's the day Canadian grey market subs of DirecTV and Dish Network saw daylights again...

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=1

Are you an American citzen or a canadian citizen?

If you are an American im not quite sure of the legalites but I know that under Canadian Laws you are not allowed to get DirecTV or Dish Network.

Canadians who want DirecTV or Dish Network illegaly go through brokers who provide them with an american address.

Uplink said:
Are you an American citzen or a canadian citizen?

If you are an American im not quite sure of the legalites but I know that under Canadian Laws you are not allowed to get DirecTV or Dish Network.

Canadians who want DirecTV or Dish Network illegaly go through brokers who provide them with an american address.

There is nothing illegal about it. As Danielle Cote ruled in Quebec, the prohibition of subbing DN/DTV in Canada is against the Charters of Rights and Freedom. In other words, the government canNOT prohibit Candians from subbing DN, DTV or any other ethnic services originated from the American providers on Ku band: Arabic, Polish, German, Bulgarian, Turkish, etc.

The catch is that DN/DTV won't sell it to you if you have a Canadian address. And everyone knows how to get around that...

rangers00 said:
There is nothing illegal about it. As Danielle Cote ruled in Quebec...
I believe that judgement is only for his area. And wanna bet the government appeals? After all, the supreme court already outlawed the black market, why not the gray.

Derwin0 said:
I believe that judgement is only for his area. And wanna bet the government appeals? After all, the supreme court already outlawed the black market, why not the gray.

The judgement was in Quebec, but it CAN be an influence on judgement in other provinces.

Yes, the government can appeal. Before any judgement on the appeal, it cannot be illegal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)