I'm looking for some advice/insight for DirecTV receiver models

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SKYYdiver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Austin, TX
Okay, so I've been with DirecTV for several years now (maybe 5, 6?) (and a lot more off & on through the years). I, as of right now have three receivers hooked up, with one being a DVR, that I upgraded to, maybe a year to 18 months ago. I paid for the DVR (how much, I don't recall - but I know I got no discount on it).
My question is this..I see so many people on here talk about the models of receivers that they have, and I have NO idea what the differences are.
Right now, I have 2 Standard D10's, and the DVR-15-300.
I thought I saw that the newer standard receivers are D12's? What's the difference, and should I look to upgrade? Will they charge me to just switch out my D10's for the D12's?
My other question concerns the DVR. I have yet to get on the HDTV boat (that'll happen later this year, for sure.), but I'd like to get the DirecTV on demand channels. Why is it that when I look on line to compare at the DTV website, it says you have to have a HD-DVR, but under the comparison page it says you can get the "on demand" channels as long as you have the standard DirecTV Plus DVR model R22?
Again, can I just switch out my DVR 15-300 for this R22 Model? Will they charge me?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I don't know if this makes any difference as to if, or what, they may charge me, but for the past 2 or 3 years I've been subscribed to the premier package, with Sunday Ticket, and have not had any derogatory billing issues for a looong time.

And again, any help or insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!

From the models you listed I assume all 3 receivers are being leased from Directv. If you want to change them for newer models you will be subject to a LEASE UPGRADE FEE it is currently $69 for a basic receiver $99 for a DVR and HD receiver and $199 for a HD DVR. The R22 is an odity they differed from normal designs and used circuit boards from the HD DVRs so it has advanced functions but left off the HD capabilities so it is an odd ball.

There's little advantage to having a D12 vs D10. The only advantage I can think of is if you wanted to do a SWM installation.

To do VOD, yes, the R22 would be a worthwhile upgrade. But it may be hard to get one, unless you purchase it online. You might try calling, explaining that you would like to take advantage of VOD. You might get lucky with a free upgrade. If they do offer the R22, you'll get free installation, so you might want to replace one of the D10's, and keep the R15. Your monthly cost would remain the same. This will reset your lease agreement though.

Thanks all!
I'm thinking the DVR upgrade seems worth it, if I can get one. Resetting the lease agreement is a-okay with me..I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. :)
I like the idea of changing out the one D10 for the R22, that would be just about perfect for me.

Thanks again! This definitely helped!

Hey SKYYdiver, I just reread your original post. You mentioned that you will be upgrading to an HD TV later this year. If this is the case, you might want to go ahead and try to get the HD DVR now. They are all capable of VOD. You don't have to have the HD TV to use it, although I believe you have to subscribe to the HD package, which costs $10 more. If your past the lease agreement now, you should ask to speak to retention. They have more authority to offer deals.

Thanks JMikeH! That sounds like even the better way to go. I didn't realize that you could use the HD DVR with a standard def tv. Ya learn something new everyday, I guess. :)

the tv has to at least have composite video inputs to use a hd receiver, red white yellow. and remember to switch the display to 4:3 if need be, gl with ur upgrade.

But they can always get a RF Modulator (like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH61159-RF-Modulator/dp/B0001GGXQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246460126&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Philips RF Modulator (PH61159): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DW2KFZ31L.@@AMEPARAM@@41DW2KFZ31L[/ame] ) to use on a TV without composite video inputs.

point being if the mod isnt available while the tech is there, and he cant get a picture frm the box, the tech leaves, so make sure you have one, or available inputs

Point being is that you can use a HD DVR with a set with only RF inputs, just providing an work around which you didn't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts