I'm not an HD vs SD snob, but 16x9 vs 4x3...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
I don't mind watching regular shows in 4x3, but I was watching a football game in 4x3 this weekend and it was like watching with blinders on. I didn't realize how much more view of the action we get with a 16x9 broadcast. I'm glad that more and more broadcasters are switching formats this year. Viva La Widescreen! Viva FTA and College Football!!!

whats really bad is some TV stations didnt compensate for widescreen so when watching sports (like MLB on Fox) too much was cut off in the top left corner. All you would see is part of the score (and no team names)

I think most have fixed that issue now ;)

Most networks frame 16:9 broadcasts "4:3 safe", meaning that all important picture information is kept in the 4:3 "center". They even indent their screen bugs so they won't be cut off on a 4:3 display. This is because there are still many 4:3 sets out there, and probably will be for awhile.

Up until recently, most of the 4/3 SD feeds I've watched have had the right/left sides cut off, so something is always missing. Notice it mainly on football games, where you can't see the DBs in SD.
I almost never watch FOX, except for two or 3 times a year when the team I watch is on FOX, but I've noticed that this year FOX is putting the NFL games in letterbox. If I have my TV in regular 4/3 mode, the viewing area is pretty small, but the good thing is that letterbox in 4/3 can be zoomed up to fill the whole 16/9 screen without making everyone look wide, or missing stuff at top/bottom. Not nearly as good as HD obviously, but I like it better than watching a 4/3 game where they've clipped off the edges so you can't see the DBs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)