I'm On My 3rd 622!!!

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
DISH has been very understanding of my 622 problems and has recently shipped my 3rd 622 to me. However, the general problems continue although different each time.
Previously, the 1st 622 would reboot in the middle of a program, recorded or not. The 2nd one would just turn off. Now the 3rd one is freezing at the exact same spot in the recording and rebooting. Don't want to just keep installing 622's. It must be something else.:mad:I have recently had a Samsung Technician go over my TV and the diagnosis was that nothing is wrong with the TV. Suggestions anyone???

From what Ive seen the 622's are pretty reliable. It could be that heat(as stated above) or something else is causing the failure with the setup. Do you know how to check the temp counters?

Also be sure that your electrical wiring is correct. I have seen ground/neutral reverse cause weird issues. Is this a stick built home,apartment, mobile home etc. The are so many possibilities. But the likelyhood of getting three bad 622's is rare.. So I would have to assume that it is somehow related to your location.

Voltmeter, I say average reading in residential around 117 volts. If your down around 113, yikes.

$10 "inspector plug" will show if the outlet is wired correctly.

If unsure, or have never done that before, contact qualified licensed electrician.

I've seen the recievers do some crazy things when it comes to a outlet problem.

I keep my 622, ps3 and tv on a APC battery backup, so Id hope this would prevent voltage issues. They are a great investment, I got 30 minutes of backup power(with the tv off/622 on) for $60.

That is a good idea having it on a UPS, I had two APC's (big bad boys that would power for over 2 hours) - they saved alot of equipment when I was struck by lightning twice in a row a couple of years back.

I didn't have my Tivo box on it, wish I did, it was fried...

Thanks, I just checked the temp readings. They are as follows:

High 134
Low 118
Ave 123

Are these unusual?

RE: Connections..... I have alternated the power source from time to time. I currently have the 622 connected to a power strip. Earlier I had it connected directly into the wall outlet. Did not seem to make a difference. Upon making a visual inspection of the dish outside it appears that the green ground wire running up to the dish might not be connected. Will have to make a closer inspection.

The high does not seem out there but the avg and low seem high. Mines:

High 129
Avg 111
Low 102

In an open ent center. Maybe someone who knows a little more about the temps can chime in.

I don't think temperatures have to do with this,I had installed several 622s and consider we are in the tropic the average temperature here is around 90 o F
My 622 runs around High 138 low 116 and average 125 ,and never had to replace any yet.

So if it's not temperature-caused we are left with what possibilities?

1. Poor or no grounding?
2. AC current loss or variation?
3. other?

Just rechecked everything and the unit IS grounded. Only thing I can think of now is that there is some kind of short between the unit and my TV set. Could possibly be a problem with my inside antenna in the attic still plugged into my 622 even though I have all the locals now. Any other ideas???

I know if my 622 has a problem with a ota station that is having multi- path problems , it will cause my 622 to lock up , black screen and reboot. So if your antenna is having multi path problems like I described it will cause you problems especially if it is recording on that station at the time. I suggest that you get the dish home protection plan for 5.99( ADD it on line or tell the csr to add it and you can drop it once they are finished with the replacement receiver or the tech vist ) and get a dish tech sent to your house for 29.99 (with the warrenty) to look at your installation , your antenna etc. Maybe they can pin point where the problem is . We are all just trouble shooting in the dark and we can't really help you much. A tech can probably fix it or tell you what is wrong.

Not sure how to check heat temps. What are the steps.

(Status check this am shows 129 not functioning.)

Any problems with receiving any of the sats or problems with OTA like multi-path interference is going to cause the receiver to reboot and freeze up.

I had a tree branch issue with my 110 sat earlier this year and when the receiver was trying to record Deadliest Catch, it was rebooting every 5 minutes.

Fixed that problem with a ladder and a chainsaw.

Thanks, the above two comments just confirms what my neighborhood Dish tech told me at the store, that the OTA is somehow causing this. He said he had NEVER heard of someone needing 3 vip622 receivers. Good suggestion to rid myself of this thing once and for all for $30 service call. BTW I do have the Dish home protect plan. Thanks again.

Do you recall which hardware versions they were? Some earlier models with lower letter suffixes don't work properly with some of the later software downloads. I would think Dish would even be sending them out as replacements but you never know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)