I’m sick of Dish

Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid. Dish could care less about your "best financial interests". They're looking out for THEIR best financial interest. They want to bring in the most money and pay the least they need to. No different than any person or any other business.
They can save it on the front end or make it on the back end. Fact is, if people's rates go up to cover increases from providers, more people will change carriers. There's no shame in protecting both entities' intrerests

They can save it on the front end or make it on the back end. Fact is, if people's rates go up to cover increases from providers, more people will change carriers. There's no shame in protecting both entities' intrerests
Rates go up for lots of reasons. Assuming employees get yearly raises, that would increase costs. Rent/lease space probably goes up yearly. And yes, programming cost increases. But it does for most channels, not just locals. Acting like the $60 (or $120) yearly increase is solely because of the local retrans rates is very narrow minded.

Reactions: John2021
Have you said anything to the actual company that pulled the channel off Dish?? Or are you just going to cry about the company that's basically at the mercy of these providers and looking out for the customer's best financial interests?

Truth is, I never got these swan song-type posts. You know it's not going to be back by Monday so I hope you've got your new service all set

I have an account with Dish (at least 10 years) not the other company. Dish is a major disappointment to me. Dish always uses the disconnect tactic, and the Dish customer suffers. I notified Dish about the November 1 deadline two weeks ago. I have a plan in place.....BTW, I don't need a washed up blackjack player to look out for my financial interests.

Reactions: John2021
There is no perfect provider. Go ahead, name one, just one, provider that has never raised it's rates and has never had a dispute. Go ahead or stop the whinning. This complaining about Dish as if A: It's their fault the FCC allows a company to accumulate TV stations in order to attempt to coerce the carriers into paying exhorbitant fees, B: No one else ever had/has a dispute and C: You'd gladly pay any increase just so you're not inconvenienced, is wearing thin. If the grass is so much greener somewhere else you should probably go.

I have an account with Dish (at least 10 years) not the other company. Dish is a major disappointment to me. Dish always uses the disconnect tactic, and the Dish customer suffers. I notified Dish about the November 1 deadline two weeks ago. I have a plan in place.....BTW, I don't need a washed up blackjack player to look out for my financial interests.
That washed up blackjack player is worth close to $12 billion. He isn't a washed out blackjack player, just a banned one. Enjoy wherever you go....

That washed up blackjack player is worth close to $12 billion. He isn't a washed out blackjack player, just a banned one. Enjoy wherever you go....
There you go, the washed up Blackjack player is more concerned with increasing his 12 billion to 13 billion than he is with me watching the channels I'm paying for....my solution stream the following: Discovery +, peacock, & paramount . I already have AppleTV+, Netflix & Amazon prime. I'm losing one local station I like (Dish blacked them out for 2 months last year) because they aren't available on stream, yet. I think this will work.

There you go, the washed up Blackjack player is more concerned with increasing his 12 billion to 13 billion than he is with me watching the channels I'm paying for....my solution stream the following: Discovery +, peacock, & paramount . I already have AppleTV+, Netflix & Amazon prime. I'm losing one local station I like (Dish blacked them out for 2 months last year) because they aren't available on stream, yet. I think this will work.
Jroad, we can't miss you till you leave.

I’ve played around with various streaming methods. A live streamer is more convenient and somewhat similar to cable/sat. The problem is that for me there is very little on live TV these days that is of interest.

So I’ve switched to discrete services. Works well, can get all the stuff I want to watch, and using an AppleTV with its superb ‘up next’ strip it is easy to manage. Not quite as convenient as a live streamer, but good enough.

this is pretty funny. having a friend that works for a cable co out here.. so many people left cable and sat service for a streaming service.. But god forbid if the streaming service has a price increase there right back crying and whining signing back up with the cable or sat co.. Until the promo's run out then there crying and whining again trying to find a cheaper way to watch t.v.!!!

The washed up blackjack player is not a chairity he's a business to make $$$. And since you have netflix how many price hikes have they had :eek:. There's no way i would pay for netflix most of what's on there is trash anyways. Do you even have any idea what it costs to run a sat co??? It's not just the programming it's launching the birds insurance having people monitor them 24-7 on and on right down to new boxes. Not cheap!!!

Last edited:
I chose direct mainly for the dodgers games once i leave the blue state... Though i like NESN to. i refuse to give FUBO t.v. 65.00 a month plus taxes and fee's when i can have a full sat package for that. then i would more than likely need another streaming service to fill in the gaps. And i won't want to sitting here watching football and my internets goes out:coco:wtf... And direct has been great at giving discounts and promo's.How that will go in the future with the new ownership who knows!!!

Rates go up for lots of reasons. Assuming employees get yearly raises, that would increase costs. Rent/lease space probably goes up yearly. And yes, programming cost increases. But it does for most channels, not just locals. Acting like the $60 (or $120) yearly increase is solely because of the local retrans rates is very narrow minded.
You mean the $5.00 yearly increase?

Reactions: charlesrshell
A washed-up blackjack player??? LOL, one of the wealthiest people in America, if not the world who holds the reins of innovation in his hands

I’ve played around with various streaming methods. A live streamer is more convenient and somewhat similar to cable/sat. The problem is that for me there is very little on live TV these days that is of interest.

So I’ve switched to discrete services. Works well, can get all the stuff I want to watch, and using an AppleTV with its superb ‘up next’ strip it is easy to manage. Not quite as convenient as a live streamer, but good enough.
Discrete service, I like that name. That's what I use

The washed up blackjack player is not a chairity he's a business to make $$$. And since you have netflix how many price hikes have they had :eek:. There's no way i would pay for netflix most of what's on there is trash anyways. Do you even have any idea what it costs to run a sat co??? It's not just the programming it's launching the birds insurance having people monitor them 24-7 on and on right down to new boxes. Not cheap!!!
I don't care what it costs to run a satellite company. I'm not concerned with costs. However, I am not going to pay for something I'm not receiving. That's a great scam, pay me $12/month for local stations, you won't get them, but I'll see to it you don't get a price increase, unless you actually want to watch them.

I don't care what it costs to run a satellite company. I'm not concerned with costs. However, I am not going to pay for something I'm not receiving. That's a great scam, pay me $12/month for local stations, you won't get them, but I'll see to it you don't get a price increase, unless you actually want to watch them.
So drop em till they get put back on save 12.00 a month!!! dish lets people drop the locals if you didn't know but they do!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)