I'm thinking of getting a DVB-S2 USB tuner instead of a standard receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would not recommend one to a newbie. There are some that work well, but software can have a very steep learning curve. You will end up with a lot of frustration, especially since you don't know how things are supposed to act. Also good to have a basic receiver to throw in line to make sure your dish and such is set correctly. That way you know it is a matter of get the card drivers working and software working.
I also don't recommend a USB tuner. I would build a small HTPC(Home Theater Personal Computer) and get a tuner that is PCI-e card.

I would not recommend one to a newbie. There are some that work well, but software can have a very steep learning curve. You will end up with a lot of frustration, especially since you don't know how things are supposed to act. Also good to have a basic receiver to throw in line to make sure your dish and such is set correctly. That way you know it is a matter of get the card drivers working and software working.
I also don't recommend a USB tuner. I would build a small HTPC(Home Theater Personal Computer) and get a tuner that is PCI-e card.
Thanks for the reply. I want to get a tuner because I want to have an IPTV server (just for my family and I) so I can watch FTA channels away from home. Are there any receivers that also double as an IPTV server and are they any good? If so, I'll probably get one of those instead of a PCIe card.

Basically I agree with everything Michael said. If you want to get some idea of the complexity involved, this blogger's post will give you some idea. I have set up something similar, but it is not something you will be able to set up in a day, or even a week unless you are really sharp. And what he said about needing a receiver to check dish aim and signal strength is absolutely true, and I've also heard several stories about USB tuners overheating and failing. I'm not trying to discourage you from building such a system at some point, but you need to get your feet wet and maybe start with something a little less ambitious.

When buying a receiver I would make sure it has PVR capability (can record to an internal or USB connected drive) and that if possible it also has an ATSC tuner so you can watch or record your OTA channels, if they even still make such a receiver. I have an older model that supposedly had those capabilities, but it corrupted recordings all the time so I shall not mention the brand, you would not want it and they don't make it anymore. But, even that old receiver gets put into service now and then for re-peaking a dish and/or LNB.

To answer your other question, at least the PCIe cards do work with DiSEqC provided the backend software supports it. But you need good quality DiSEqC switches!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Thanks for the reply. I want to get a tuner because I want to have an IPTV server (just for my family and I) so I can watch FTA channels away from home. Are there any receivers that also double as an IPTV server and are they any good? If so, I'll probably get one of those instead of a PCIe card.

I believe there may be some legalities involved with streaming your video out to the web via IPTV, even if it’s encrypted, unless of course it’s via Slingbox. I don’t think it’s wise to just open a port on your network and stream video over the web to other locations on your own. At least, that’s what my expert IT consultant has told me. He’s the big timer I call when things go over my head.

Reactions: raydio
Many of the FTA channels are streamed on-line anyway, especially much of the content on 97Ku , 99Ku, etc. Also if you do go the PCIe/USB receiver route don't get the cheap ones. Get a professional unit. I had a TBS 5980 and had nothing but trouble with it overheating and driver issues. It finally died a couple of months ago after a lightning/power surge (diseqc switch, computer, and everything else connected to it was fine).

I now have a TBS 6903 on my office PC that works just fine and I would recommend.

Lots of software available for these cards/USB devices, I use EBSPro for LAN streaming it works well. It also has a nifty android app signal meter that is an incredibly useful tool for setting up and aiming dish antennas. Many software options are free too. The paid ones are not expensive either and likely have good support.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
PC tuners can be a challenge. I never knew how much because I found out about FTA through a DVBS tuner. I found one in a computer surplus store cheap and never heard of doing FTA satellite on a computer or an STB. I fell right into it (backwards I think) and became hooked ;).
But as Comfortably_numb suggested I use a Slingbox, one of the first ones that have a ATSC tuner built in for accessing my system away from home. I let my cousin in The Netherlands watch some stuff occasionally too. Setting up a remote can be the challenge with a Slingbox.
SatSling.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts