I'm upgrading to HD, any decent deals for existing customer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cptpooface

Original poster
May 23, 2008
I have been a Directv customer for about ten years. I recently bought an HDTV. So now I want to upgrade to High Definition Directv. I phoned Directv and was told I would need a new dish, and a new receiver. I was told I could get the dish and the HD receiver for just the price of shipping, and if I wanted to upgrade the receiver to a DVR receiver, I would need to pay $99 plus shipping. While I think this is a reasonable offer, I can't help but wonder why new customers are given much better offers to initially sign up. They can get four free receivers, at least three months free premium channels, a free dish and many other options.

First, I am wondering why new customers are given such great deals, while loyal long time customers are offered pretty much nothing but a chance to pay more for new services. Second I am wondering if anyone has heard of any good deals for existing customers who want to upgrade to HD. I'm sure everyone has seen the commercials that advertise the great deals offered to new customers. I saw a commercial the other day, or rather, I heard a commercial. I only heard the last little bit, but it said something about upgrading to HD, and if this deal was taken, they would pay your bill for a year. This sounded way too good to be true, so I am wondering if I heard wrong, if this deal is once again, only for new customers, or if it even exists at all?

Whatever does happen, I will most likely get everything I need for HD Directv. From what I have read and seen, I will need a five LNB dish, and an HD receiver. I read that the dish has to be installed by a professional from Directv. However, I live in the middle of nowhere, so the Directv representative I talked to on the phone told me they would send me the dish and receiver. So I am wondering if it is difficult to install the new HD dish. Is it the same as the regular dish, or is there something different that must be done in order to install the new HD dish. If anyone knows anything about installing the new dish please let me know.

I apologize for the length of my post, but I am just trying to make sure I am not leaving anything out. I also noticed that in a seperate post someone already asked about deals for current customers. I read that post but it didn't answer some of my questions so I hope nobody gets upset that I posted a similar question. I noticed that in that other post someone kind of sounded angry at the fact that someone thought they deserved a deal. I have been a customer for over ten years, and I still have the same receivers, remotes and satellite dish that I got when I first subscribed. I haven't been given any offers or deals for new receivers, remotes or dishes, and my receivers and remotes are on their last leg (actually they were on their last leg a year ago), I have never missed a bill payment, and have been an upstanding customer. Those are the reasons I feel I deserve a deal, I also think I deserve the same type of deals the new customers get. If anyone can answer any or all of these questions then please do. I really appreciate any help and advice that can be given.

Welcome :) The deal that you were given for 99, is the deal that New coustomers are given for HD DVR.

Did they give you an install date? It seems kind of weird that they would send you the dish allong with the reciver. Normally they will send you the reciver and have an installer come out to do the dish. Its not that bad if you know what you are doing, But for someone who hasnt installed a multi sat dish, I would have some one come out.

That is pretty much the new customer deal for equipment.

The reason new subs get better deals is because they already have you as a customer. There objective is to get more customers so they give deals to entice the newbies. The cable copmanies do it phone companies credit cards ect ect. Its called buisness.

Loyalty means nothing money does.

I think you have a good offer there, especially for being an existing customer. Many have paid $199 for the same thing.

I got the $99.00 deal a few months back but when we ask the CSR why new customers got all of the deals they gave us a $10.00 credit for 12 Months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)