I'm watching Olympics on Bev, not Voom

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
I have never complained about Voom's picture quality. In fact I dropped Dish and Directv and will stay with Voom until whenever....

And channel 321 is active for me.

I keep Bev (Canadian Bell ExpressVu) for the East and West coast networks and PBS feeds. I can't get ota local networks at my location.

Bev also has two special channels just for the hd feed of the Olympics so there are 4 channels actively showing hd Olympics with their service.

But after watching the opening ceremonies on Voom on Friday, we had friends over to watch them again last night.

The Voom reception was as good as it had been. But I switched over to BEV just to see what was going on, and the picture just jumped out of the screen. I turned down the Brightness control 15 notches (from 27 to 12--32 is the mid point). The picture was still much more vibrant than Voom's.

Bev uses a Dish 6000. I use the component outputs for Bev and for Voom, both going into an Audio Authority automatic high band component/digital audio switchbox.

So I am assuming that the output of the 6000 stb is much stronger than the Voom stb. NBC is still NBC no matter from where it comes.

Btw, picture sharpness (resolution) looked the same for both services. It was just the contrast, brightness and color of the Bev signal that were significantly higher. Not that the Voom picture was bad, in fact, it looked like hd to me. But the Bev signal looked like I had a high gain screen instead of a 1.3 gain.

Whenever I watch regular hd networks on Bev, I have never really noticed the picture jumping off the screen before, though.

I've never been able to compare the two systems side by side before.

Anybody else have Bev to compare with Voom for the Olympics? Or how does the Voom picture compare with ota hd networks?

Shelly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)