iMac with Retina Display

Rocky, I try and try to mention how nice it is that my Mac just works, then Apple goes and loses iTunes for half a day. So we continue to stick with Windows which I have to support. Fortunately, Cisco VPN and Microsoft RDC make it relatively painless to create a session to my Windows 7 desktop in my office.

When I "need" Windows at home, I use Sun (now Oracle) VirtualBox to run an instance of Win 7 64-bit. But, like mperdue, that doesn't happen very often now. I fired up the VB and it said the last tim I had down Windows Updates was December 2013. Needless to say, that took some time!

Rocky, I try and try to mention how nice it is that my Mac just works, then Apple goes and loses iTunes for half a day. So we continue to stick with Windows which I have to support. Fortunately, Cisco VPN and Microsoft RDC make it relatively painless to create a session to my Windows 7 desktop in my office.

When I "need" Windows at home, I use Sun (now Oracle) VirtualBox to run an instance of Win 7 64-bit. But, like mperdue, that doesn't happen very often now. I fired up the VB and it said the last tim I had down Windows Updates was December 2013. Needless to say, that took some time!

Was just messing with you. But the iTunes thing was a freak occurrence I'd say.

Was just messing with you. But the iTunes thing was a freak occurrence I'd say.
Yeah, I figured... :)

Manufacturing is not very Mac-friendly, but that's not surprising considering the pressure to provide a cost-effective solution. The sad thing is that since the Windows platform was not intended to be used as a Real-Time OS and the underworld likes to target Window's many vulnerabilities which requires monthly reboots to apply patches, it's not exactly what I would pick for a 24x7x365 operation application. But that's my opinion, and the engineers who are responsible for acquiring these systems don't share it.

Back to the 5K iMac Retina, it has been available for the past couple of months on the Apple Refurbished store. I was able to get EPP pricing on mine, but the refurbished pricing is even lower. Selection is the tough part, looking for the configuration you want takes patience.

I just placed my order for a 5K iMac Retina with an Intel i7 and Radeon M295X, the rest standard.

Earlier today I tried to find one at my local Apple store and Best Buy but they just had the base model.

I am a software developer and need this to add Retina display support to Natural Scene Designer, which is my company's main product ( www.naturalgfx.com ).

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread here to help me finalize my purchase decision. I was going to use my retina MacBook Pro for the job, but the extra real estate on the 27" screen will be very nice!

N6BY, I think you'll be very happy with your new iMac. With the huge screen you should be able to have multiple sources open while coding.

N6BY, I think you'll be very happy with your new iMac. With the huge screen you should be able to have multiple sources open while coding.
It was delivered direct from Elk Grove, CA so it arrived within a few days. Very happy with it so far. However, I prefer Mac OS 10.9 over 10.10 that came pre-installed.

Don't worry, after a while it will feel natural. Did you get the Magic Trackpad with your iMac?

Don't worry, after a while it will feel natural. Did you get the Magic Trackpad with your iMac?
No, but its tempting. I really like the trackpad on my Macbook Pro.

Since I do so much typing when doing development work, I'll probably get a better keyboard -- one with more button travel.

Since it was the same price, I ordered mine with the wired Apple keyboard w/numeric keypad and the Magic Trackpad since I've become comfortable with all the multi-finger gestures.

Since it was the same price, I ordered mine with the wired Apple keyboard w/numeric keypad and the Magic Trackpad since I've become comfortable with all the multi-finger gestures.
I'm a newbie with multi-finger gestures on my Macbook Pro. I use two finger scrolling a lot, especially here on SatGuys. But I haven't taken the time to learn them all. Besides scrolling, I'd be curious to know which ones you find most convenient?

There's the five-fingered (well, thumb and three other fingers) pinch that brings up the Launch Pad (reverse motion to hid the Launch Pad). If you do the five-finger expand it exposes your desktop. Three-fingered swipe up exposes all your open windows on the screen. Three-fingered swipe left or right switches between Spaces (the Dashboard and multiple Desktops). At least that what I have set up, you might have other preferences.

Reactions: N6BY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts