Important Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like people are sorta trickling in, maybe everyone is gun shy and just going to check on us tommorow??? oh well I must get off here in 10 minutes movie night with the wife!! have a great night all, I see you tommorow

No we are not up yet still.

I am on the phone with LER and The Planet trying to get this fixed NOW. :)

Ler has been a big help, he knows a LOT more about DNS than I do. :)

:( oh well, sorry I know its been a long day today scott, I will PM the Prize Goddess tell her to give you a good stress reliever tonight :) hope all goes smooth on the rest of the work for the server guys, see you all later!

We just got off the phone with The Planet and they are still working on this it has now been escalated to the person who handles the planets DNS servers.

Ler (Larry) has a great plan to prevent this from happening again, as soon as it is fixed we move to our own name servers and we will get off of the planets name servers. :)

Again I am very sorry for this, the problem unfortunately is out of our control :(

I can get in with the IP address, but sometimes I have problems bringing up the 2nd page of a thread, cuz it wants to call satelliteguys.us ????

Ok just got a note from the ISP and indeed it appears they have finally corrected the DNS issue. :)

Don't know how long it will be til everyones ISP's see the changes, but my ISP already has the fixed data.

Again a big thank you to LER for all his help, it was his screaming at the ISP that finally got the issue resolved. :D (And remember LER is looking for work, all pointers welcome!)

Just added satelliteguys to my Hosts file. Works fine now, but that's just a temporary solution.

Yup thats what I have been advising people who have been calling me and emailing me, if you add it to your hosts file please remember to remove it tommorow as the IP address for the web server will be changing in a day or two. :D

I thought the problem was on my end. I've been trying all day to login, for the past 12 hours. Is it possible to have a webpage come up when the server is being worked on? That way now one will wonder if the site is gone or something.

whicky1978 said:
I thought the problem was on my end. I've been trying all day to login, for the past 12 hours. Is it possible to have a webpage come up when the server is being worked on? That way now one will wonder if the site is gone or something.
Normally, yes. This, however, was a DNS issue, so you couldn't even turn the name to an IP address.

We are working to prevent this type of error from EVER happening again.

LER

I don't know if Comcrap's DNS has been updated yet, but Satelliteguys for some reason now is taking A LOT longer to load, about 3-4 times as long.

I even did the /flushdns option to clear Windows XP's DNS table to see if it would help.

normally when were working on the sight there will be a webpage up but because of the dns problems ( the ip address your browser looks at to look at the sight) it wouldnt of pulled up a page.. The ISP that the hosts satguys was making the ip address diffrent than what it really was) thus your browser wouldnt pull up our home page..

sorry it took so long to reply (power went out as were having serious storms coming through right now)

Neutron said:
I don't know if Comcrap's DNS has been updated yet, but Satelliteguys for some reason now is taking A LOT longer to load, about 3-4 times as long.

I even did the /flushdns option to clear Windows XP's DNS table to see if it would help.
if you can get here at all, it's **NOT** the DNS. Check the traceroute to the site.

LER

They say it takes 48 hours to completely make the switch, because it bounces around a bit, but after 24 things are usually stable.

This really shouldn't have happened in the first place, Eliminating downtime in a server switch isn't complicated, so maybe we can remember that this site isn't perfect next time we want to start posting about how other sites suck...Kinda hypocritical to complain about what their site does, and then have this site go down to simple, avoidable DNS problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)