Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Thank you for your continued support of SatelliteGuys.US, because of you we are the Internet’s Fastest Growing Satellite Forum!

It is because of our rapid growth that we feel at this time we must make some changes to our service that may or may not affect you. Our goal is to give everyone a sense of community here at SatelliteGuys.US.

As of late you may have noticed the number of “guest” posting to have increased. The number of guest postings has made many discussions hard for many people to follow. (especially when guests are talking to and quoting guests)

As you may have noticed a number of mean postings from guests to Staff and other users, because we are here to help people get the most from their satellite systems and to not feed the trolls we have removed these mean spirited messages as soon as we have seen them. It’s sad to see people hiding behind a “guest” name to be rude to other members.

Therefore effective on Wednesday December 3rd we will be requiring registration for all users to post in all areas except the following two forums

- SatelliteGuys Help Desk
- DishStore.NET Support Forum

This way you can get help if you need it. :)

Also effective immediately SatelliteGuys Pub Members will be able to call me for support directly. (More information on this will be posted in the pub area)

We have also added a few features, which also require a registered account. These new features are not found on any other Satellite Forum and include…

Access to the two UseNet News Groups alt.dbs.echostar & rec.video.satellite.directv! For those of you Internet diehards will love the fact you can read and post to these areas using the SatelliteGuys easy to use message interface, no more clunky news readers, and no monthly fee to access these groups either!

Access to our monthly Charlie Chat… Chat’s and Retailer Chat… Chat’s!

SatelliteGuys in association with DishStore.NET is planning some major prize giveaways and have just finished installing a new contest module, this module will let you enter in our contest and also picks the winners! You will get to see this new feature in action on Monday Night December 8th when we have our Charlie Chat… Chat! We will have some great prizes to give away!

As always all unregistered guests will be able to read all the message areas on the site, which they currently have access to. Again you DO NOT need to be registered or logged in to read messages.

Also please understand that registration is FREE.

Please remember that SatelliteGuys.US values your privacy, as a member you can be assured your information is never shared or sold to anyone.

Understand that most of the guest postings have been very good and informative, we are just doing our best to build a community here and we would rather know you by name (or by a handle) then just knowing you as guest.

Thank you for helping us build one of the Internet’s best satellite communities, and again thank you for your support!

I agree...imo, you should have to be a registered user in order to post. If you don't want to do that, then they should be limited to read only status.

Scott, keep up the good work. What a great site you all have made in a very short time!

I began with DBS Forums, then migrated to your former site, now I spend 80% of my time here, and the rest at DBS Forums.

I knew this was coming for a while now with all the guests on the boards and so forth. I think its a good idea for read only for guests but if they want to get involved and want questions answered on the forums then they should at least have a handle to go by. Hopefully they will not try to change the handle everytime they log on by registering a new handle each time to still disguise themselves. It will probably cut down on some of the issues with guests but there may still be some issues.

Good Move Scott.

Stargazer I am not worried about that happening, there are measures in place to keep that from happening (and it also keeps people from trying to log in under diffrent names on the same computer to win prizes in our contests.) :)

Well its a few minutes early...

But the changes have gone into effect.

To make posting a registered only feature was a VERY tough decission, however in weighing everything it is the best decission for the future of the board.

Again if you decide to register, you can use almost any handle you want. Real names are NOT required.

Thank you everyone for your support. I do hope this helps make the threads easier to follow.

Scott:

"As of late you may have noticed the number of “guest” posting to have increased. The number of guest postings has made many discussions hard for many people to follow. (especially when guests are talking to and quoting guests)

As you may have noticed a number of mean postings from guests to Staff and other users, because we are here to help people get the most from their satellite systems and to not feed the trolls we have removed these mean spirited messages as soon as we have seen them. It’s sad to see people hiding behind a “guest” name to be rude to other members."

Well I suppose it only takes a few to ruin it for everybody. I like the idea of open forums for guest but wished they used some kind of bogus identity. Isn’t there a way to keep guest being allowed to post while weeding out the troublemakers?

"To make posting a registered only feature was a VERY tough decission, however in weighing everything it is the best decission for the future of the board. "

Darn!

bradleys said:
Thanks for the forum changes. I don't visit some of the "other" web sites any more because I get tired of folks being horrible to each other.

Amen and Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)