Imported HD DVDs - 2 for $50

Deal here: EzyDVD - HD DVD 2 for $50!

I found this over at CAG. The person who posted it was charged on the 6th and received his HD DVDs on the 13th.

Thanks for the info. Great Prices, and the prices are 2 for 50 Australian Dollars, and there is also a 8.5% reduction for GST (Sales) Tax for shipping outside Oz.

Unfortunately, the titles I want - Total Recall and Rambo I, 2 & 3 are all out of stock. :(

Will the A2 play Pal discs? It says NTSC-only in the manual.

My pj will display PAL. So, if the A2 does PAL, that would be great.

There is no PAL or NTSC with both Blu-ray & HD DVD - the discs are encoded at 1080p resolution with 24fps FILM mode. It's the PAL or NTSC players that decode the disc content and convert for the appropriate PAL/NTSC display frequency.

Also, HD DVD has no region coding, so European / Australian HD DVD's play just fine on North American players, and vice versa. Blu-ray has an optional Region Coding - it's up to the studio to decide if they want to region code a disc.

I know about the region-free ability of HD-DVD. (However, the A2 manual specifically states NTSC, which is why I asked the question.) It's good to know it doesn't matter about video format either!

And, when you say that the player converts to the appropriate display format, is that based on the display device? (My pj does both, my tv does NTSC only. But, I guess it doesn't matter if the disc has no format.)

Finally, what about titles that were shot on video to begin with? They are encoded using a 24fps film standard?

I know about the region-free ability of HD-DVD. (However, the A2 manual specifically states NTSC, which is why I asked the question.) It's good to know it doesn't matter about video format either!

And, when you say that the player converts to the appropriate display format, is that based on the display device? (My pj does both, my tv does NTSC only. But, I guess it doesn't matter if the disc has no format.)

No, it is based in the player model. Since your A2 was designed for and sold in North America, it will output NTSC. European HD DVD players will read the same disc content but output it in PAL.

Finally, what about titles that were shot on video to begin with? They are encoded using a 24fps film standard?

I think there are a few titles shot on video encoded at the 30fps, but they are mostly music concerts. All movies use the Film mode of 24fps.

Also... what about SD discs? Has anybody confirmed whether the SD disc region-coding is active on the A2. And, if not, will it play PAL SD DVD's?

The DVD Forum standards still apply - the HD DVD players are still region coded, and NTSC/PAL limited for SD. A PAL or non-region 1 SD DVD will not play on HD DVD players sold in North America. Even more crazy, while HD DVD will play back in 1080 resolution over component, upconversion of SD DVD requires an HDCP compliant digital DVI/HDMI connection.

OK. So...bottom line is that any HD-DVD from any country will play in the HD-A2, which will output in NTSC.

And, only NTSC region 1 SD DVD's will play on it. (Barring some region-free hack.)

Is that correct?

Yes.

Also, I am looking at HD-DVD's on Amazon.uk, and I am seeing a number of HD-DVD's listed as "Region 1 NTSC".

Odd, if what you said was true.

Amazon just copied over info from the DVD. I have two imports - the French/Studio Canal release of Terminator 2 and the UK/Optimum release of the French film "The Brotherhood of the Wolves" and they play fine. But, rather than importing them I bought them directly from US import company XploitedCinema.com.

Check prices - On Amazon UK (and elsewhere in Europe) prices include VAT (sales) tax. You have to get to the last stage before 'Purchase" to see the final pice w/ shipping & VAT removed for delivery outside the E.U. Use a currency converter site like xe.com to covert to American dollar. Then check XploitedCinema.com - great service & usually cheaper.
:)

Thanks for the tip!!!

Is there a list some where of "exclusive" BD movies available on HDDVD?

No list of BD exclusive movies I know of, but this thread on the AVSForum - HD-DVD Import Releases and Guide - is a pretty detailed list of import movies available. There's even some HD DVD's available of movies for which BD exclusive studios own the U.S. rights but haven't released on BD - such "The Island" and "Mr. & Mrs. Smith".

There's even some HD DVD's available of movies for which BD exclusive studios own the U.S. rights but haven't released on BD - such "The Island" and "Mr. & Mrs. Smith".
That was my specific question. I wanted to know if there was a list of movies supposedly exclusive to BD that are actually available in HDDVD for import.