In laymans terms, why no VIP integration with Hopper

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
I don't understand why my VIP722 and 211 will not be able to be used with the hopper system. I have read a few posts that allude to account stacking. What would make Dish susceptible to account stacking with a mixed Hopper/VIP system?

You can use ViP receiver with the Hopper systems even our training shows how to wire it properly. Dish just doesn't want us to promote that it is possible. Even tho they can be installed together the ViP receivers will not be able to share and integrate as the Hopper does but they will operate as they always have.

Its pretty simple really.

Its either regular receivers or Hopper/Joey system. Dish has decided right now to be an EITHER OR. Dish has the right to do really whatever they want

I don't understand why my VIP722 and 211 will not be able to be used with the hopper system. I have read a few posts that allude to account stacking. What would make Dish susceptible to account stacking with a mixed Hopper/VIP system?

From the stacking viewpoint, Hopper is nice for Dish because all the Joeys have to be connected to their mother Hopper. A VIP could be in another home or another state.

I think stacking as "the" reason for no mixed accounts is probably overstated here, but no doubt its a big part of the decision.

You can use ViP receiver with the Hopper systems even our training shows how to wire it properly. Dish just doesn't want us to promote that it is possible. Even tho they can be installed together the ViP receivers will not be able to share and integrate as the Hopper does but they will operate as they always have.

but the issue is Dish is saying your account has to be Hopper/Jory OR VIP. Its not like on the account you can have both.

As it stands a VIP receiver can't be used on a hopper system. That does not mean it is not possible, just Dish is not allowing the Hopper set-up to allow for it. The thinking is, right now you can account stack, that is open an account get two receivers, put one in your house, and another in another house and split the total cost. Because the Joey's need to see/be wired to the hopper that pretty much elliminates that. It may be possible to pull it off with a next door apartment I guess, but overall it makes it very hard to do anymore. If you introduce the use of a VIP receiver, it again allows someone else to have the receiver in another location.

A secondary problem is people with RV's. Dish is not at this time allowing people with an RV account to also have a Hopper account for the home. This stops the RV receiver from having distants watched in the home, something Dish is not allowed to do. Since they have been in trouble in the past with distant use, they seem to be very cautious about it.

A secondary problem is people with RV's. Dish is not at this time allowing people with an RV account to also have a Hopper account for the home. This stops the RV receiver from having distants watched in the home, something Dish is not allowed to do. Since they have been in trouble in the past with distant use, they seem to be very cautious about it.

I dont think that is a big of an issue because I'm sure there are RV'ers who watch the distants at their house when they're not RV'ing ;)

lol..... Yes, but by making them have two accounts I guess Dish doesn't care as much.... :)

but what if someone signs up with just the RV account? Only reason I say this is got a relative who from Oct-April or so is in the RV. When they come back to MN in April they stay at their house most of the time. Now they have Directv so its different but they have the distants from NY & LA and watch them at their house in Minneapolis when they're "parked" here.

Thanks for the replies. Is the problem so widespread that they are willing to obsolete all this equipment prematurely? I am sure the push from now on will be the hopper system over the stand alone VIPs.

here's the same q&A from scott from another topic....

The whole idea of prohibiting older receivers on H/J accounts (to inhibit account stacking) is spurious at best, if you ask me. They can "see" all my receivers are on the same broadband connection and also on the same phone line right now. What's the issue here, anyway? What problem is Dish trying to solve by this prohibition?
Its because moving forward they dont want to keep writing software to support old hardware, lnb's, switches and dishes.

Its more then just account stacking, its about making everything uniform. :)

The Hopper is the future of the company. the ViP is a thing of the past.

Time for them to start worrying about adopting to the past and moving ahead looking to the future.

Quite aggressive I must say, some may not like it and I understand that, but I think its a move they need to make. :)

The Hopper is the future of the company. the ViP is a thing of the past.

Time for them to start worrying about adopting to the past and moving ahead looking to the future.

Quite aggressive I must say, some may not like it and I understand that, but I think its a move they need to make. :)

Or time to stop worrying :)

In layman's terms ---it's complicated

In less layman's terms, but possibly understandable...My thought about the reason--and I could be wrong...The Hopper has a unique feature with Prime Time. During Prime Time, all locals that are being recorded come from the same transponder. This is a very unique way to record so many programs at one time while still leaving tuners available. I would have to guess that the mechanics behind doing this would be interfered with if you had a mix of other recievers attached to the satellite dish and switches.

These threads just get better & better, who needs dish with entertainment like this.

I'm sure part of the plan is planned obsolescence of the ViP line...1 Hopper system install at a time. It'll also make it easier to track who is still using a ViP receiver and who isn't, whether owned or leased.

They may be pushing for a uniform system but it will be a longtime coming.They still have many old qpsk receivers subbed and thats gonna take yrs to complete the transition.They will most likely still have to have some lower end receivers available for rv'ers prepaid accounts etc,and unless they force everyone to go the hopper route then the vips and perhaps 311's for low end subs will be around for a while.

I don't believe any of this. They get suspicious and have their audit department call if they see something suspicious, including 2 receivers appearing from two different phone numbers or two different IP addresses, or an account in an area zoned for business. This is the case now with current receivers.

The Hopper is just like another VIP receiver only with Joeys locked to a Hopper (or two). If you had two Hoppers and took one to another residence, there's another channel (the MoCA channel) that might allow two Hoppers to tell if the other Hopper was there or not. So, the Hopper is more robust against account stacking than the other receivers. But so what? There are millions of older receivers out there and Dish must still rely on the phone line and/or broadband to prevent account stacking for those older receivers. Why alienate their most generous customers now?

As for the RV account; this is a separate issue and already requires a separate account. You can't get DNS from Dish unless you prove to them that you have an RV. Now I suppose people could buy several receivers "for their motorhome", and take them all inside when they're home... But this has nothing to do with the Hopper sharing an account with a VIP receiver since they could do the exact same thing with a Hopper (or two).

Finally, the notion that they're going to swap out all older receivers for a H/J system is indeed rather wild-eyed if you ask me. The VIP line will be with us probably another 10 years. (OK, that's my WAG). In any case it will be years and cost many millions of $. (Not my millions of $, that's for sure!) It's not going to happen overnight, and I see no reason to infuriate Dish's best customers by imposing this made-up rule without a good reason.

I still think there has got to be another reason nobody has thought up yet. At least I sure hope there's a better reason than the nonsense excuses I see above!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)