In the US, No Sat 82 since Nimiq4, need advice

Actually I kept the original dish and it is aimed directly at 91. Then the big one is aimed directly at 82. I am starting to see some sunshine, so I might go out now.

OH I see, since 82w needs more juice. OK

Looking forward to seeing what kind of dish it is and see if I can throw it on my motor :D

I can come down to the Springs and get it myself. I don't need somebody to install it ;)

I was getting a few transponders drop down below 40 at times with my 30" dish and that would cause the channel to go out. I was using a Bell 9200 receiver.

Ok here are a few pics, The sun was getting close to the mountain, so it was shady, but I got some. I can get better ones if needed.

The first image is of all 3 satellites. The closest is the Bell original, it is now 91, the big one is obviously the 82, and the farthest away is the Dish Network original (installed way before by a different installer, but these guys remounted it when they came in 2007 since it was hanging off the siding almost from the original Dish installer...)

The last image is off where we had to point it. The line at "EAST" is due east, and similar with WEST and SOUTH. It is just stitched together (poorly). :) The X in the tree in the middle is where the 1.2m is looking to get 82W. The X in the sky on the right is where 91W is, and it pretty much exactly where it was pointed when we got both on the same dish before the new launch. According to the sat caluclators, it is not supposed to be where it is, but it is, and it works. So who I am going to believe? Everyone and their calculators, or my lying eyes! :D

Attachments

• DSC03529.JPG
    DSC03529.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
  • DSC03530.JPG
    DSC03530.JPG
    928.9 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC03531.JPG
    DSC03531.JPG
    884.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC03532.JPG
    DSC03532.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 157
  • SatStitch.jpg
    SatStitch.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
I can barely see them, can you make them a wee bit bigger lol!

Looks like a beautiful place to live!

So on the weak transponders what strength of signal do you get now with this dish on 82?

very nice pictures, please keep us updated with your signal strength. Rain fade won't be a problem for you since your dish is very big! =D cheers

SUCCESS!!!!!

All my HD is back. I did a test before we changed it a little bit and got a much better signal. Instead of flat 0's across the board I was between 50 and 65-ish (before re-aiming). Now I get it all the HD channels I watch, but I have not had time to go through each transponder and check levels. I will tonight.

Also @DJ Rob:
He came over with the dish, and I asked for you and he said he had 2 more of them that he knows of. They were pulled off of a hotel I think. I will take pictures and post more details later. He said he would give it to you for $125 including mount. And he does do work in Denver and would go to install it. Took both of us together about 4.5hours to mount and aim both the old dish (moved it) at 91, the new uber dish at 82, and readjust our real DishNetwork dish because it "drooped". This was partly due to the fact that all data for Nimiq4 was completely off on the Briddog website. We were locking on various Echostar and also BEV91. So after reaiming for a few hours we got it to lock on Echostar 4 @ 77W. The 82 signals blipped on the 9242, going from 0 to 30 to 0 to 30 and so on while we were locked on it. So then we moved it 1 sharpie marker line clockwise and his meter's spectrum analyzer lit up like a christmas tree and was blipping like crazy. Did a rescan and voila. 82.

So apparently it is nothing like what any of the aiming guides said. It is pointed waaaay east compared to the 91 dish. I am surprised we even picked up 82 to begin with a year and a half ago.

So he said he would come up and install it and it would be 3 hours labour + dish + commute time I think.

But if you just want the dish, I am sure he would sell it to you. It is all 1 piece fiberglass with metal mesh inside it. Looks snazzy. It's got some dirt on it, but nothing a few Lysol wipes wont take care of :)

Ill post more details later, but yes folks full HD is available in the US midwest (even being blocked by a huge ass tree).

Nice work! But 82 isn't really "waaaay east".... only 9 degrees from 91. Now if you were shooting at 61.5 then yeah, I'd say it then.

You probably aren't shooting through a tree, the offset is just throwing you off, trees stop a satellite signal dead in their tracks.

Bravo!

well done!! you've given hope to all the BEV fans in the states. I'm a *C/ShDir guy myself, but we're all in the same DIY boat when it comes to stuff like this. thanks for sharing the photos.

Nice work! But 82 isn't really "waaaay east".... only 9 degrees from 91. Now if you were shooting at 61.5 then yeah, I'd say it then.

You probably aren't shooting through a tree, the offset is just throwing you off, trees stop a satellite signal dead in their tracks.

Well it was way more east than either meter or calculators told us. Also the sheer size of the dish may exaggerate how far east it really is looking, but it looks like a completely different direction, not just a little off.

And trying to look as if I were in the centre of the dish, it is most definitely going through parts of that big tree. Another reason why it seems so much further east than before since the older smaller dish was mounted in the exact same spot and had a very clear view of the sky with what I thought was a ton of room around it. Then with this dish, we had to point it all the way through the tree basically.

Here is the data. Not as great as I had hoped. But the time variations lead me to believe that either 82 is wobbling badly, or the dish is misaimed? The results on the left are between 12:30am MST (last night) and the results on the right are from 1:30pm MST today.

The 91 sats are from the 20" standard BEV dish, and the 82 is from the 1.2m dish.

82wresults.jpg

I just think that we are on the fringe of the beam and any satellite movement affects the signal drastically. I noticed I usually lost signal at night on 82.

I just think that we are on the fringe of the beam and any satellite movement affects the signal drastically. I noticed I usually lost signal at night on 82.

I remember when it was first launched they said it was wobbling horribly. Anyone know if they have been able to stabilize it, or are planning to? Because it seems weird that it would be still be moving around 4-6 months later. I suppose they could want to save their fuel for emergencies and correcting a wobble that doesnt effect the major Canadian cities and only really has an effect when 95% of the subscribers are asleep anyways isnt a top priority.

Well at least I know it is possible to get 82 somewhat way down here. Not bad for being 1600km to 1900km south o' the border. :cool:

Interesting,
Here in Nashville your weak transponders are my stronger ones and ones that are real problematic for me are strong for you. TP27 has always been the weakest one for me and TP 4,8 and 32 are my strongest. Since 8PSK I have lost a couple of TP's with the 3dB modulation penalty but that has really only cost me 1 HD channel that I occasionally watch.

Obviously there are at least two antennas on the bird carrying different transponders, one which favors the west and one which favors the east. As for the variation between night and day, I too have seen huge variations and don't know the reason.

I would also have thought that a 120cm dish would have brought in all of the transponders for you. It looks as if the workable footprint covers the the eastern seaboard with NC/Va being the marginal zone, moves due west until around Missouri and then starts to head diagonally northward towards Washington State. I have never seen a report from Oregon and we know it does not work in California.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)