Inconsistent OTA reception

It has the distance but not the directionality..I think? From my readings from the Atlanta DTV group, which is a group that talks a lot about OTA reception and antennas for the Atlanta area, is that people in the 35 mile and in range do great with 4 and 8 bay antennas. Those that are farther out use a more directional antenna.
Or it may all clear up in a day or 2 :confused:

Therein lies the whole disconcerting mess, one day it is fine and the day I really want to tune into something, it is erratic and I get extremely annoyed with the whole routine. This is why I am searching for something that will be consistent. Have you heard of any success with the ATF antennas? I sent them an inquiry - will be interesting to see what comes back.

Gigawatt - Interesting item about the twin-lead from the pre-amp touching the antenna and causing some signal problems. My pre-amp is mounted on the antenna itself with only about 6 inches of twin-lead that never touches the antenna except at the connectors. MY setup is in my attic, so I don't need to worry about wind moving the twin-lead.

The Yagi versus Bay discussion is interesting in that everything I've read previously and the antenna radiation diagrams I've seen for some consumer antennas generally show the Bay/Bowtie antennas to be very directional compared to a Yagi with a corner reflector. That's why a Yagi w/ corner reflector is a better choice if the signals you are trying to receive don't all originate from a single azimuth. They generally have a broader beamwidth.

All that is not to say that you can't wipp the seasonal multi-path with a higher gain antenna w/ a better front-to-back ratio, and a better (higher gain, lower S/N ratio) pre-amp. But, it can turn into an expensive trial-and-error exercise.

My one channel problem is doing well right now. Since the Dish 811 265 software upgrade, I've been able to lock that channel anytime, any day and w/ a signal strength around 78% (4 points better than before the 265 upgrade). I'm still on track to install my new Winegard 9018 Yagi antenna and see if I can improve the signal strength of all of my channels. However, the antenna install is in the queue after the new, built-in micro-wave oven install, and the install of 2 new bathroom fans. Got to keep you know who happy first or I can't play with my toys (even though she watches the HDTV and DTV I've set up more than I do).

to the orginal poster of the problem,

if u haven't yet, figured, its a defective dst-3000 receiver,

same thing happens to my dst-3000, i went through 3 of them. finally after 3 years im getting a new rca dtc-210 hd reciever, i went through hell with directv trying to replace it under my protection plan.
finally i borrowed my friends Hughes HTL-HD reciever and it worked fine,

so if haven't yet, get your dst-3000 replaced wth a new generation hd reciever like the rca.

I ended up getting mine working. Am currently in a condo and can't use my dish, but will be buying a house next year so have all my receivers in a closet. Thanks for getting back to me!

Regards,

Scot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts