Inconsistent OTA reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It has the distance but not the directionality..I think? From my readings from the Atlanta DTV group, which is a group that talks a lot about OTA reception and antennas for the Atlanta area, is that people in the 35 mile and in range do great with 4 and 8 bay antennas. Those that are farther out use a more directional antenna.
Or it may all clear up in a day or 2 :confused:

Therein lies the whole disconcerting mess, one day it is fine and the day I really want to tune into something, it is erratic and I get extremely annoyed with the whole routine. This is why I am searching for something that will be consistent. Have you heard of any success with the ATF antennas? I sent them an inquiry - will be interesting to see what comes back.

Gigawatt - Interesting item about the twin-lead from the pre-amp touching the antenna and causing some signal problems. My pre-amp is mounted on the antenna itself with only about 6 inches of twin-lead that never touches the antenna except at the connectors. MY setup is in my attic, so I don't need to worry about wind moving the twin-lead.

The Yagi versus Bay discussion is interesting in that everything I've read previously and the antenna radiation diagrams I've seen for some consumer antennas generally show the Bay/Bowtie antennas to be very directional compared to a Yagi with a corner reflector. That's why a Yagi w/ corner reflector is a better choice if the signals you are trying to receive don't all originate from a single azimuth. They generally have a broader beamwidth.

All that is not to say that you can't wipp the seasonal multi-path with a higher gain antenna w/ a better front-to-back ratio, and a better (higher gain, lower S/N ratio) pre-amp. But, it can turn into an expensive trial-and-error exercise.

My one channel problem is doing well right now. Since the Dish 811 265 software upgrade, I've been able to lock that channel anytime, any day and w/ a signal strength around 78% (4 points better than before the 265 upgrade). I'm still on track to install my new Winegard 9018 Yagi antenna and see if I can improve the signal strength of all of my channels. However, the antenna install is in the queue after the new, built-in micro-wave oven install, and the install of 2 new bathroom fans. Got to keep you know who happy first or I can't play with my toys (even though she watches the HDTV and DTV I've set up more than I do).

to the orginal poster of the problem,

if u haven't yet, figured, its a defective dst-3000 receiver,

same thing happens to my dst-3000, i went through 3 of them. finally after 3 years im getting a new rca dtc-210 hd reciever, i went through hell with directv trying to replace it under my protection plan.
finally i borrowed my friends Hughes HTL-HD reciever and it worked fine,

so if haven't yet, get your dst-3000 replaced wth a new generation hd reciever like the rca.

I ended up getting mine working. Am currently in a condo and can't use my dish, but will be buying a house next year so have all my receivers in a closet. Thanks for getting back to me!

Regards,

Scot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)