INDEMAND will carry MLB EI? No so fast says MLB... How about E*?

Calling a DISH CSR is probably one of the least reliable ways to get info. But what the heck I will try and report back.

That channel 625 means absolutely nothing. It has been in the program guide since the end of last baseball season. When they removed all the MLB EI channels from the system last October they left that channel 625 obviously as a barker for next season. A next season which unfortunately may never come. That channel will probably be removed next week.

I called and they said that tere is no information on MLB EI at this time. I asked for a supervisor and was told only that they know nothing about an announcement.

this does not surprise me. Even whe there is news the CSRs are not informed on a timely basis. So when it is the POTENTIAL for an agreement it is unlikely that they would be told.

When I was driving to work this morning, I heard an advertisement on the radio. Seems Like D may have the deal locked up. The advertisement was for MLB EI and new Subsribers. It indicated if a customer or new sub signed up for MLB EI, before April 7, 2007, there would be a 20% savings. Might be a done deal Not good news, but I guess I can listen on XM.

I'd be surprised if Dish doesn't carry the package; either through an agreement or due to legislation.

There is absolutley no chance of legislation at this late time. They have exactly two days to reach an agreement, or they are basically out of the baseball package business for the next seven years. :(

There is absolutley no chance of legislation at this late time. They have exactly two days to reach an agreement, or they are basically out of the baseball package business for the next seven years. :(

Agreed, except I believe that if there were 6 months before the season a deal maybe could be reached but still no chance of legislation. The case has no merit in my opinion. Kerry doesn't even know what he is talking about. He is spewing numbers and facts that have no basis what so ever. Just trying to be heard for his constituants and of course himself, nothing more.

Chris Walker said:
I'd be surprised if Dish doesn't carry the package; either through an agreement or due to legislation.
We are still waiting for the legislation to restore signficantly-viewed channels on Dish Network. It has been four months since the distant network cut-off, yet there has been no movement on these bills in Congress.

So, how is this legislation supposed to look? Is it only directed at MLB? Or is it more broad, stating that no company may withhold programming from a multichannel carrier? Because I won't support the former, but would support the latter as Comcast Sports Network Philadelphia would then become available.

And we've forgotten one important piece of information. So let's say a bill is created to force MLB to open up the EI package to all. It passes the House of Representatives and it passes the Senate. Anyone remember where it goes next? To a former MLB franchise owner. Does anyone think he'll sign it?

There is not time for legislation.

But there is plenty of time for Congress to tell MLB if you do not offer the EXACT SAME terms to the other providers (including the equity ownership in MLB channel) or else we will proceed write a bill to remove MLB's anti-trust exemption.

The threat of losing the anti-trust exemption should straighten up MLB.

Many, many other reasons for the anti-trust exemption. This will not even come close to anything that would put it into jeopardy. Everyone seems to want the good ol US government to jump on this. All they will ever do is hold a couple of bogus hearings like the other days. Fact finding and something to get their names in the media as working for their great voters and fans. Nothing will come of it IMHO. Be upset, fine, but admit it...D* and MLB did a number on the other providers. Period. Smartest guy wins.

RVD420 said:
There is not time for legislation.

But there is plenty of time for Congress to tell MLB if you do not offer the EXACT SAME terms to the other providers (including the equity ownership in MLB channel) or else we will proceed write a bill to remove MLB's anti-trust exemption.
You aren't thinking this through...

Congress threatens legislation to remove the Supreme Court's anti-trust exemption. Congress passes the bills and they go to?

Former Texas Rangers majority owner and current President George W. Bush.

Do you honestly think he is going to sign it?

Congress threatens legislation to remove the Supreme Court's anti-trust exemption. Congress passes the bills and they go to?

Nope not at all. However, do you think baseball wants to go through anti trust hearings and have Congress ask more pointed questions about financials and such? Probably not.

Baseball has a lot to lose just from the process. Once it gets to the President's desk for a signature the damage will be long done.

Minority owner.

Baseball has a lot to lose just from the process. Once it gets to the President's desk for a signature the damage will be long done.

The same could be said if a lawsuit was threatened. Dont laugh. Companies take each other to court all the time.

Oh... and heres a thought... perhaps E* is looking hard at a way to scuttle the MLB/D* deal to get back at them for killing the distant networks settlements. Naaah. Big companies arent that petty. Right?

Here is an update from www.bizofbaseball.com :

iN Demand and MLB Talks on Extra Innings “Serious”

Written by Maury Brown
Friday, 30 March 2007

John Ourand and Eric Fisher of the Sports Business Journal are reporting via the Sports Business Daily that negotiations at the 11th hour between MLB and iN Demand to keep Extra Innings on cable are ongoing and “both sides are now characterizing the talks as extremely serious.”

Reportedly, MLB gives the odds of the deal occurring at 50-50 while cable representatives seem more pessimistic.

One of the key sticking points prior was matching the same number of households that DirecTV has signed on to do. iN Demand has said it will meet that provision via 80% of their digital households.

The sticking point now is the ownership equity component of The Baseball Channel. Recall that MLB has offered DirecTV a 20% ownership stake, but that is based on exclusivity. If iN Demand becomes a player, DirecTV's equity in ownership would need to be diluted.

Tick, Tick, Tick... Time Runs Short for MLB DirecTV Deal

Written by Maury Brown
Friday, 30 March 2007

With just over 36 hours till deadline for a deal to place MLB Extra Innings exclusively on DirecTV, time is running short for the incumbents—iN Demand (cable) and EchoStar (DISH Network)—to match DirecTV’s offer. MLB has asked the two to match the terms of distribution and financial considerations.

For those that have been looking for an update as to the state of these negotiations, meetings have reportedly been taking place between officials from MLB and executives with the incumbents, but no details have been forthcoming at this time. MLB has, in the past, been known to come down to the wire in negotiations, and it is possible that this deal may be no different.

There seems little doubt that MLB will not be granting an extension in the talks. Many consumers will make a decision to jump to DirecTV by Opening Day, and thus broaching a deal with iN Demand or DISH after that point would create difficulties with DirecTV, as well as upset consumers who might have stayed with their carrier otherwise.

News is still coming out in the media about the agreement, but nothing as yet about an agreement with DISH or iN Demand. As reported today in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

“In Philadelphia alone, more than 400,000 satellite subscribers are denied the ability to watch their hometown Phillies [or Flyers or 76ers] because of Comcast," testified Bob Dupuy, president and chief operating officer of Major League Baseball. "That is more than twice the number of subscribers the entire iN Demand syndicate had nationally for the Extra Innings package last year."

While this may seem like an argument over carrying the Extra Innings package, the bigger component is the MLB Channel.

"The MLB Channel is a long-term vision for baseball," said Maury Brown, founder and president of BizOfBaseball.com and a sports business analyst for Baseball Prospectus. "They are placing a large amount of emphasis on it from a growth potential standpoint for Major League Baseball."

Negotiations among MLB, Dish Network and iN Demand are continuing.

"We are trying to get everybody in," said Tim Brosnan, executive vice president of business for Major League Baseball. "That is our goal."

The Biz of Baseball will report any updates as soon as they are made available between now and the March 31st deadline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts