INDEMAND will carry MLB EI? No so fast says MLB... How about E*?

So in theory then if DirecTV and Dish Network carry EI you could get different telecasts of certain games on different systems.

I only ask this as Dish Network did not carry FSN West 2 (now PRIME TICKET) in 2004 but as as a Los Angeles Dodgers fan I got see those games even though the channel was not available to me in the Dish Network sports pack got to see those games on Dish Network.

Kind of confused on that one

Looks like D*'s giving a free preview of MLB-EI + Superfan , getting all the games on at the moment plus a HD game.

FSN Wisconsin (another channel Dish doesn't have) is showing the Los Angeles Dodger's - Milwaukee Brewers game.

Directv ran a commercial saying the price jumps $40 on the 8th when the free preview ends.

However no word from DirecTV about them being exclusive provider of the package at this time.

So in theory then if DirecTV and Dish Network carry EI you could get different telecasts of certain games on different systems.

I only ask this as Dish Network did not carry FSN West 2 (now PRIME TICKET) in 2004 but as as a Los Angeles Dodgers fan I got see those games even though the channel was not available to me in the Dish Network sports pack got to see those games on Dish Network.

FSNw2 was spotbeamed back then. It was moved to Conus the following year.

In the past when a game has been carried on MLB-EI (and broadcast by two RSNs) only one is available to out of market customers.

The other is blacked out outside its market.

First week free

Since the first week has traditionally been a "free preview" for MLB EI, it's not surprising that talks have continued. I wouldn't be surprised to see the discussions continue for a few more days. In the end, DirecTV will probably get what it wants -- exclusive carriage of the package.

By all accounts, the talks are continuing.

Sure they are. But I don't see why DirecTV would agree to dilute their ownership of the MLB channel (the sticking point) unless a huge concession went their way (like access to Channel 4 San Diego and CSN Philly).

Sure they are. But I don't see why DirecTV would agree to dilute their ownership of the MLB channel (the sticking point) unless a huge concession went their way (like access to Channel 4 San Diego and CSN Philly).
Yeah, you're right. That might push D* out of the deal, leaving just E* and cable.

Well, DirecTV would have to spend a lot less $$ for the package.

And even if its share of the Baseball Channel got diluted to 10%, if both cable and Dish were to bring 15 million viewers to the channel that would mean it would be worth three times as much.

Therefore DirecTV's 10% share would be worth more than its 20% share of the 15 million sub Baseball Channel.

And the San Diego and Philadelphia RSNs have never been a bone of contention in this deal. With only 270,000 DirecTV subs, how many would the Phillies and Padres add?

And why would Cox want to endanger its near monopoly of San Diego (with a tiny 0.2% share for satellite) just to get an MLB-EI package very few of its subs bother to order?

Well, DirecTV would have to spend a lot less $$ for the package.

And even if its share of the Baseball Channel got diluted to 10%, if both cable and Dish were to bring 15 million viewers to the channel that would mean it would be worth three times as much.

Therefore DirecTV's 10% share would be worth more than its 20% share of the 15 million sub Baseball Channel.

And the San Diego and Philadelphia RSNs have never been a bone of contention in this deal. With only 270,000 DirecTV subs, how many would the Phillies and Padres add?

And why would Cox want to endanger its near monopoly of San Diego (with a tiny 0.2% share for satellite) just to get an MLB-EI package very few of its subs bother to order?

While i see your logic i would expect d* to argue that they signed a deal that gave then 20% ownership. If that figure is reduced they would want compensation above and beyond what ever was discussed in the original deal.

BTW has there been serious talk of reducing that % or is that just our specualtion?

In theory and in fact. At one time we frequently saw both broadcasts. Last year though it was almost always the home broadcast although the YES/MASN/CCSN Philly/Cox situations came into play.

I predict the final outcome will be D*, In Demand, and E* each with a 10% share of MLB channel

I hate to say it, but all I have heard in every update all day is In Demand is negotiating with MLB. Other than Scott G saying that Dish was in negotiations no one reporter has even mentioned Dish. I think In Demand is trying to get a deal and Dish Network is out of the loop now.

I hate to say it, but all I have heard in every update all day is In Demand is negotiating with MLB. Other than Scott G saying that Dish was in negotiations no one reporter has even mentioned Dish. I think In Demand is trying to get a deal and Dish Network is out of the loop now.

Dish gets left out of some of the stories involving this situation because the focus is on In Demand since it has more EI subs and it's a bigger deal to them. I haven't heard anything that would say E* is no longer participating in negotiations plus they still have the MLB channels in the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)