Indianapolis HD locals

drummerguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I got my 622 installed yesterday here in Indianapolis, and the installer said that Indy HD locals are coming July 26 (though it was a "you didn't hear it from me" kind of comment). Not sure if that contradicts any other info on this site, but I just wanted to report what he said.

That does sound about right to me, but that's just my guess based on what I've seen on these forums over the past couple of weeks. DirecTV better be blowing me out of the water with some HD by the end of the year, or it's hello again to Dish Network.

Well Direct will be 2nd to Dish when it comes to HD due to Dish seems to get the networks quicker than Direct. Also since Dish has Voom now Dish will always have more HD content than Direct. So to me it's simple if you want HD Dish is by far the way to go. Just my 2 cents. :)

Did he mention anything about it taking a new kind of dish to receive it?

nazz said:
Did he mention anything about it taking a new kind of dish to receive it?

No, he didn't. I thought I was going to get a Dish 1000 installed, too, but he said I didn't need it because I have a must-carry dish at 61.5 and a Superdish. Either it didn't occur to him that I might need a new dish for the new HD locals, or he just didn't know.

Last edited:
Yeah my guess is he probally did not know since these new dish just came out.

I am confused as ever. Who do you call for the new dish, or do I really need one? I am an AT&T/DISH Network customer, but had to get a new DISH Network account number when I had my new 622 and 411 installed. The installer tried to install a Dish 1000 but could not lock onto 129, so he just left the two 500s.

Hmm he should have been able to lock on the 129 I know that sometimes it can take a couple of times to get it locked. This way you only need one dish instead of messing with two. As far as what Dish you will need all depends on where you live and where your HD Locals will be on. Most folks can use the dish 1000 some might need a diffrent one.

It's looking like fall for Indy if we're lucky and it will take a dish swap. I'm honestly surprised that more installers don't read this site so they have more information.

My installer told me that when the merger of D* and E* was rejected they secretly merged anyway. He said that D* never really launched any new sats but is using E*s instead. I didn't even try to correct him. :rolleyes:

I'm going to call E* again today to see if they have any updated info about 500+ dish for Indy. I wish E* would not make promises as to availability they can't keep. I'm sure a lot of people elsewhere in the country are unhappy with E* when they have no idea if and when they will get HD Locals. IMHO, it looks like E* is waiting for a bid from D* for a takeover and delaying anymore upgrades until then.

This is what I got from the Dish tech department today in response to the delay on the Indy hd locals and I for one find it hard to believe. What is really going on?

Thank you for your e-mail. We have been made aware of some technical
difficulties on local channels in your area. Please bear with us while we
investigate the problem and identify a solution as quickly as possible.
We are very sorry for this inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have
a timeframe we can provide for when this issue will be resolved. Again,
please bear with us as we work hard to solve this issue.

That looks like a canned response for anyone who is complaining about problems with locals they are already receiving.:rolleyes:

What's happening is we will need new dishes to receive them when they do finally activate Indy. These dishes are already in very short supply while many are waiting for them in the Detroit and St Louis markets. There's no point in activating Indy until they get dishes to all of those folks. Who knows how long that will take but I'm just hoping for Indy in time for when the fall TV season begins.

Give me my HD football!

As long as they have my HD Locals here by the time football season starts, I'll be a happy camper. I live too far out to get a good signal and watching the Colts on Standard CBS really sucks! Come on Dish, give me my HD Colts! You've got a couple of months. Get those dishes cranking out!

Got this reply yesterday:

Thank you for your email. The Indianapolis market will be launch in HD this year, however there is not a confirmed released date at this time. You will need to have the Dish 1000+ installed; installations are currently $59.00 in other markets for this dish.

This is all I can provide regarding this issue. There will be a press release when more information is available.

Sincerely,

David Laslo

CEO Escalations

David.laslo@echostar.com

Well with OTA HD DVRs from DISH and DirecTV I usually don't have an issue with recording OTA, but would not mind having this option too, and it would not increase my monthly charges. Guess I will wait to see what PQ is reported by those that take this option when available. Can see why we should feel it should be a no charge add-on if we already have the VIP 622 and DISH 1000 (was below cost install too, I'm sure), but also @ $59 it is still is below cost for DISH to change it out again to the 1000 plus. One of these days I will drop one of my satellite suppliers and if I had to choose today, it would be DirecTV. But right now I have the best of both.

I think it should be no cost since that's what they've been doing in the other markets. Why should we have to pay in the Indy market if they aren't in St Louis and Detroit?

When the installer tried to install a 1000 in April he could not lock onto 129. so I still have two 500's now--one for 110 and 119, and another for 61.5 With a 500+ will I be able to get 110,118, and 119 and still keep the 500 at 61.5? This is so confusing to me.

Update: I just called AT&T/DISH and was told they are not now sure if Indy HD locals will be on 118.75 or not. or if they would be available in 2006 or not. Also, they were not sure if I would get $59.99 credit if I do indeed need a 500+ or 1000+. They were sure the 500+ and 1000+ are available now, but not sure if I could get one installed prior to availability of Indy HD locals. The CSR said I should just keep checking the DISH Network website for an announcement of Indy HD locals and what equipment, if any, would be necessary. The CSR said he was sorry for the delay, but nothing he could do.

Hey Rickaren. i have a quick question. I am in Fishers and am considering leaving DTV for Dish. My question is, between the two HD DVR's you have (lucky dog) which one has the better tuner. The one built into my tv is a first gen (2000) and I have problems with ABC (crazy ticking) and CBS requires seperate rabbit ears. how well are you doing up in Noblesville which isn't too awful far away from me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)