Inexpensive OTA STB?

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Does anyone know a source for inexpensive OTA set top boxes? I don't want to spend alot (of course) and would like to view hdtv on my hdtv monitor. THanks for any help!

stb

I have two used hughes stb directv e86 hd. That I use only for the ota digital signals. They work great and the tuner seems strong. I live in michigan and use a cm4228 with a 8275 amp. I can pick up all digital signals s within a 60 mile radius. the neat thing about the stbs is that you can use a digital signal on a regualer non hd tv and get a great picture. not hd but a great picture without ghosts and better then satellite or regular antenna.

so to answer your question

ebay for a used hd directv receiver gives you hd ota receiption for your hd tv.
you may need help setting it up- manuals are available online

Good luck john

Cheap OTA STB

Try looking on ebay for a Directv h-10 They are cheap now as everyone is swapping out to H20's which are MPEG 4 capable for Locals in HD from Directv. The ota tuner in those is pretty good.

I bought the H10 receiver off Ebay the other day just so I could get OTA HD channels and I have run into a snag. I do not have a Direct TV satellite hooked up and the set-up menu has "greyed-out" the area where I can do the antenna setup. When I run it through the guided set-up, it stalls in the "advanced program guide data" screen because I have no dish hooked up to it.

I tried to set it up so that it would only run through the antenna but that wasn't an option. Is there a double secret password to enable the antenna setup?

That is what I am wondering too. I have a Dish Network 811 that I used to haveactivated (actually I have 2), only one is still activated. That needs a satellite signal to still receive the OTA. So, are the DTV hd receivers the same? Thanks!

stb- hughes e 86

I bought a hughes e86 hd directv from ebay for 40 including shipping and it works great- without a subscription to direct tv.

I gives great hd pictures on a hd set and great digital pictures on a non hd set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts