info needed on globecast receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
I know this really isn't the right place for this, but does anyone have any experience with globecast receivers? i am interested in receiving Setanta Sports have discovered globecast receivers on e-bay and for sale by sponsor, but was wondering how good a f2air receiver are they? can they blind scan? what is the encription they use? if i buy used will i be able to buy a card?

any help appreciated

neil
This would be the right place :)

Globecast uses a few scrambling techniques. Nagravision 1 is the most common (like Dish is still using)

Be forewarned on some Globecast receivers.....they default everything so you can't change ANYTHING (not even TP list).

I would get a receiver that takes a card (Pansat 3500, Fortec 5900) and activate through that way.

Iceberg said:
neil

Globecast uses a few scrambling techniques. Nagravision 1 is the most common (like Dish is still using)

Be forewarned on some Globecast receivers.....they default everything so you can't change ANYTHING (not even TP list).

I would get a receiver that takes a card (Pansat 3500, Fortec 5900) and activate through that way.

I assume that you are ordering thru this site, Sentana Sports@GlobeCast WorldTV

Read on right hand side, "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE GLOBECAST...."carefully, call them and make sure you tell them you already have receiver with smart card reader, and a dish.

I heard that you MUST purchase THEIR sat system(receiver, and dish) to sub anything. Even if you already have system. GlobeCast would not let you sub without GlobeCast Sat system. I guess it's because they would not want to support other system in case if you have a probelm.

you don't need to purchase their receiver to get Globecast.

Seems stupid if I have a Fortec 5900, which takes a card, that I would have to buy their receiver to get the programming, when they could just send me the card

I emailed a tech, at globecast and he told me my dish would work just fine, and lnb too. i will check about the panasat and the fortec.

Iceberg said:
neil

(Pansat 3500S) Conax CA-7 Embedded

I wonder what is Conax? I had in mind that it was useful only to subscribe to some "Conax package" ... I guess I am wrong. :) It's nice to know we can subscribe to Globecast with other receivers (like Pansat)

You will need the Fortec 5900, as it has the Nagravision CAM built in.. Conax is a different type of encryption than Nagravision

neil_kc1 said:
I emailed a tech, at globecast and he told me my dish would work just fine, and lnb too. i will check about the panasat and the fortec.

I guess I heard it wrong then..
Sorry for the confusion.

update on globecast, buying year old receiver and dish cheap on e-bay no card. spoke today to globecast and was assured they will support with new card, when i am ready to activate. $75.00. ouch!

I have seen that screen before.... but if I remember correctly, it only lists the supported CAMs, but the 3500s does not come with that cam, if it had a PCMCIA slot, then you can insert a Nagravision CAM into it.

Actually, I remember where I have seen that now... it was on the box i bought from ebay.....

yep

I have one of these and it works like a Globecast (which is good and bad). Review coming soon (probably this weekend)

Iceberg said:
neil

I don't think they will sell you service with a non-Globecast receiver. The primary reason is that they want to make more money by selling you hardware.

I have a used Globecast receiver and subscribe to Setanta Sports USA. That receiver is also good for other FTA content, but there is a trick for doing that. I spent a lot of time to figure out.

Satellite 1 on the setup menu is hard-coded for the Globecast transponders. That's the one you can't change. If you want to scan the non-Globecast channels on IA5, you have to use another satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)