Info please

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
Does anyone know if Dish is working on a single cable solution for the ota feed & satellite feed to the Hopper & Joey system? I would like to convert to this system, but I do not want to have to run another cable to each tv for the ota feed. As I have it now, I use the home distribution of the 722K into a combiner/amplifier along with the ota feed. This allows a single cable to feed the other tv's & allow them to watch the satellite or the local channels.

I would guess they would have some sort of USB adapter for the Hopper that you would plug your OTA into and then it would distribute to the joeys. Probably need a dedicated line from OTA to hopper, though.

Would work like the OTA module on the 722k, kinda. This is just speculation.

You will always need a second cable to any location that you want BOTH a Hopper/Joey and OTA because MOCA uses the same frequencies as OTA you cannot combine them on the same cable.

Absolutely. But if the USB OTA module comes out this summer, you might no longer need/want to run a second coax to each TV. As stated, the OTA coax to the Hopper and the upcoming USB OTA module, and those OTA programs can be distributed as easily as satellite provided programming.

Of course, that OTA will only be for locals not provided by Dish. All plans on the Hopper system include satellite provided locals.

I'm waiting patiently on the OTA information. If I like it well enough I might consider getting an OTA antenna so I can get my NBC affiliate in HD. Dish doesn't offer my locals in HD so it would be nice to have the option. I will also pick up MyNetwork TV and FOX but those are only digital subchannels of my local NBC affiliate. I just want to weigh out my options, especially when I have Hulu and Hulu+ available as well with Playon/Playlater software.

I would love to see an agreement made to where DISH could offer "Prime Time" in HD similar to the regional sports channels in markets where an HD feed of the networks are not available but the consumer has locals. Problem is that would never happen either because we couldn't fast forward through the local commercials.

Of course, that OTA will only be for locals not provided by Dish. All plans on the Hopper system include satellite provided locals.

Not exactly just for non carried local programming. I now use the OTA tuner when I need to use all the satellite tuners for non Network recording, and watch a Network program OTA instead of via Satellite. In addition, I sometimes go one step further and watch a live OTA Network directly on the TV, and use all tuners for recording including a second OTA network.

Absolutely. But if the USB OTA module comes out this summer, you might no longer need/want to run a second coax to each TV. As stated, the OTA coax to the Hopper and the upcoming USB OTA module, and those OTA programs can be distributed as easily as satellite provided programming.

What exactly do you mean by OTA will only be locals NOT provided by DISH? Do you mean that we couldn't watch an ota channel that DISH does broadcast on the satellite too? I mean if you are a "mover" and you want two sets of locals, will this prevent you from doing so? I have Houston locals from Satellite and home town by ota. I would hope that this won't change .

You will always need a second cable to any location that you want BOTH a Hopper/Joey and OTA because MOCA uses the same frequencies as OTA you cannot combine them on the same cable.
However, do they use every channel that is available? Like right now, I run OTA AND TV2 on the same cable. TV2 is set for channel 21 and OTA, locally, does not use ch 21 so I have all OTA and TV2 available on the one line and tv's. If I switch to CH 21, then I use the UHF SAT setting to change channels and any other selection is OFF Air. THat is just for TV2, which I have at 4 locations.

Does Hopper use just one channel or the entire OTA Spectrum (which I would doubt)?

I would guess they would have some sort of USB adapter for the Hopper that you would plug your OTA into and then it would distribute to the joeys. Probably need a dedicated line from OTA to hopper, though.

Would work like the OTA module on the 722k, kinda. This is just speculation.

If this would give you the ota signal in HD, that would be great

What exactly do you mean by OTA will only be locals NOT provided by DISH? Do you mean that we couldn't watch an ota channel that DISH does broadcast on the satellite too? I mean if you are a "mover" and you want two sets of locals, will this prevent you from doing so? I have Houston locals from Satellite and home town by ota. I would hope that this won't change .

If the OP does not want to run another coax to the TV, then the only coax he has will provide sat programming and sat provided locals, but not the subchannels etc that Dish does NOT carry.

However, do they use every channel that is available? Like right now, I run OTA AND TV2 on the same cable. TV2 is set for channel 21 and OTA, locally, does not use ch 21 so I have all OTA and TV2 available on the one line and tv's. If I switch to CH 21, then I use the UHF SAT setting to change channels and any other selection is OFF Air. THat is just for TV2, which I have at 4 locations.

Does Hopper use just one channel or the entire OTA Spectrum (which I would doubt)?

Hmmm. Let's just say MOCA is a different animal. It uses pretty much the entire coax spectrum from near 0 to 3 GHz. You won't exactly have a TV2. You could still rig a converter to output to a separate coax and run that thru the house, but that is really a solution for the few.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)