info & questions on SA , BLSA and meters

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There are ~20 kits for assemble BLSA (PCB and all components), chips programmed with v1.1; could be assembled and tested, but price will be higher.

I am looking at how to configure my Trimax sm-2200 to align the star choice 107.3 anik F1.je awaits your reply

you won't be able to lock onto the star choice signal, as far as I can tell (I don't see DC2 in the specs for that tuner).

What you would need to do is program in the frequency and polarity of a star choice signal into your meter and just watch the signal level number (it tells you how strong of energy the meter is sensing at the given frequency that you programmed in).

Peak up for maximum signal level and then hope you are on the right bird when you go to try to lock it with your Star Choice receiver. If you don't get a lock, you probably are on a nearby bird and not Anik F1R.

After talking to my neighbor about the project, and calculating the time to get all the parts and pieces here, then waiting for him to help me or actually do it, I opted to buy the pre-assembled one on Ebay.

I checked the seller out, and he has done several and has a 100% positive rating on selling these things, so I ordered one. It was a little pricey, but if you figure buying one for $40.00 shipped from overseas, order the parts or the kit Smith,P. says above, that's another $70.00. That's $110.00 by itself. If I were any kind of a friend, I would need to offer my neighbor at least $50.00 for doing the job plus waiting for a month for it to be finished, I just swallowed hard and spent the money. It should be here in a 2-3 days.

I also ordered a TT S2-3200 from Cyberestore today, and it should be here in 2-3 days. I was going to buy a DVBWorld S2 USB and probably will stil buy one, but tweaksystems.com is out of stock and won't have any more for a few weeks.

The reason I want two, is to have the TT S2-3200 for use in my room to just watch TV with using MT. The reason for getting the DVBWorld is for use with the BLSA in the computer at my desk so that I can switch from the BLSA and see if I really have an S2 signal or not. :)

That will also be the perfect place for my DVBViewer since Starman says it works so well with the DVBWorld USB, and I won't have to worry about moving the dish etc. Just use the analyzer that comes with DVBViewer to find out about the stream. :)

I'll use the TT for now until I can get the DVBWorld.

Now I just have to find a Short-Wave radio that is suitable for this job.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Short-Wave radio that I can use to hook up the cable from the baseband output into the radio?

Do the short-wave all come with a place to just plug in the cable?

Does it need to have SSB to use it?

Thanks for your help!

I use the Sangean ATS 505 for my shortwave radio, it has a 1/8" mini jack for an antenna input
Hey Him,

That's not bad!

I saw a few for around the $100.00 - $125.00 range online.

I may have a couple of older ones located. My HAM radio buddy says he has two he could probably sell me one. He is going to check them to make sure they still work. :)

It does not need to have SSB (My scanner does not have SSB, but I can still figure out the symbol rates), but SSB might be helpful.

Thanks Qwert!

I don't know what my buddy is coming up with, but I am pretty sure he has a Realistic DX-400 as one of them if it still works ok. :)

I don't know what that has to offer other than Photoman says it will do the job. :)

I opted to buy the pre-assembled one on Ebay.

although not the cheapest but maybe the best :) i too am still considering the project
but would have to probably make a few to come out on the project.

although not the cheapest but maybe the best :) i too am still considering the project
but would have to probably make a few to come out on the project.

I understand that completely.

I just don't have the electronics, soldering equipment and soldering skills for such fine components. I need to build something a lot less technical and with much bigger components first before tackling something like this.

I also need to buy some new soldering equipment. I did pick up a nice O-scope and frequency counter from the last installer I bought out. He said they worked and that he had bought them both new in 1985, but I don't even know how to find out whether they do or not. :)

My buddy with the radio above will be here in the next few days and he said he would check to see if they really did work or not. :eek:

What would really be nice is if one of you kind, considerate, and compassionate users of the BLSA would write a detailed how-to for using the equipment. Not for alignment of the dish, but for scanning purposes. We can talk about alignment later.

For instance, the procedure after all is hooked up and working and you lock on the first satellite. That will display as the satellite is currently.

Do you try and do that when there isn't much feed activity?
Do you save that as a template for future activity?

Once you find a new signal with the BLSA and the DVB receiver won't lock it or display it.

How do you know which transponder to use on the analog to find the symbol rate and lock it?
I am assuming the meter on the short-wave receiver will help find the lock, but am not sure about that either?

Do you also need to know the frequency layout of your analog receiver and it's transponders so you can at least get to the ballpark frequency for adjustment?

I think you can understand the questions a new user might have.

If one of you could help out those of us who are just getting started with these, others might be enticed to getting started.

BTW, below is what I got from the BLSA builder for the ones he sells on ebay in response to my question about his price. I am not trying to advertise his product, but those of you with the skills to make them can get an idea of what someone might be willing to spend to have one pre-made.
To answer your questions:
- I do guarantee that the card will work as advertised. However I'm not sure how familiar you are with these spectrum analyzers (or the professional ones for that matter), but the Symbol Rate displayed is not accurate. It will of course display the correct frequency, but once you have that and the ballpark SR the program shows, you'll need to spend additional time to find the correct Symbol Rate (the only way I know how to do this is by using a short wave radio).
- Secondly, the reason I'm asking $180 is because I had the components soldered by a professional company so that cost $60 / board. Overall I'm probably making about $15-20 from this deal - ebay and paypal fees, so to be honest I don't think there is more than $10 in it for me (I won't even mention the time, gas, effort, etc.)
- If you look at my feedback you will see that I sold three other cards just like this one and everyone is quite happy (I always test them before shipping them out).

Anyone ever had a problem with sa.exe from the moonglow.net website being detected as a virus?

I downloaded the software and per the readme.txt decided I would play around with it for a bit while I am waiting for my BLSA to arrive and AVG anti-virus detected it as an Obfuskate virus. I sent it off to AVG for analysis, but won't hear back from them for a while (2-3 days) probably.

I recall I DL the software from other site by Fred's link after getting BL-2030 and register there with its serial number.

According to the readme.txt, you don't have to have the card installed to play with the program, but that may be outdated. On top of that the computer started acting up, so I am in the process of rebuilding it.

I'll try again later after the computer is up and running again. :)

According to the readme.txt, you don't have to have the card installed to play with the program, but that may be outdated. On top of that the computer started acting up, so I am in the process of rebuilding it.

I'll try again later after the computer is up and running again. :)

Fred changed the way to get the file, now you must send him an email.

You do not have to have the card to play with the software.

AVG detects sa.exe as a virus but it is a false positive, since all other antivirus scanner do not have problems with it.

Fred changed the way to get the file, now you must send him an email.
I did send an email, got a response with the username and password. Downloaded the file as I was supposed to do.

You do not have to have the card to play with the software.
I didn't think so, but with all the hub-bub with my machine acting funny I wasn't sure.

AVG detects sa.exe as a virus but it is a false positive, since all other antivirus scanner do not have problems with it.
I didn't really think it was a virus. It was just a co-incidence that my computer took the opportunity to have a nervous breakdown. :(

I have a different machine now, and will finish configuring it tomorrow and try again. :)

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.