Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
This past few days I was up by the lakehouse and took the 4 wheeler on some trails. To get to one you go across from the bar down the road and by where fish houses are stored when there is no ice on the lake. I saw something and thought "oh hell I gotta go get my camera......otherwise Anole will give me crap" ;)

Now I remember when you had a fish house if it had a radio you were cool
if you had a radio and a cb (long before cell phones) you were even cooler
then it was upgraded to a TV with antenna
Then it became satellite

Well these two dudes take it to a whole new level. Since fish houses get moved a lot why spend the time reaiming the dish when you can do it from the warm comfort of the fish house

Yes...one guy bolted a Directv dish and a different guy bolted a D500 to an antenna rotor :) Since the elevation would be the same its pretty ingenious I say. I never thought about that. I did bolt a Dish 300 to a FTA motor once.

Attachments

• PICT0162.JPG
    PICT0162.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 313
  • PICT0163.JPG
    PICT0163.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 288
The rotor only changes the azmituh so it works no matter what position they place you on the lake. great idea. Is that Seagull poop on the second dish??? I see alot of that down by Barnegat Bay.
mikelib

my theory is when its -20 out and you move the fishhouse across the lake the last thing I want to do is try and aim the dish

The rotor only changes the azmituh so it works no matter what position they place you on the lake. great idea. Is that Seagull poop on the second dish??? I see alot of that down by Barnegat Bay.
mikelib

probably not seagull.....just regular old bird s**t

My guess is lazyness. The rotator was there and they decided to not remove it.

ikki this is Lake Mille Lacs we're talking about so I could see folks doing that (you being in MN you would understand) ;)

I think its rather ingenious :)

I've never tried to track the arc from an ice shanty, but I can testify that lake ice moves.

They probably need to tweak the azimuth every time the wind changes directions.

incredible!

Once you've leveled the fish-house...
... no wait, the water 'n ice ARE level... - :D

Great pix, Iceberg!

edit:
GrumpyGuy may have a point - you may need to tweak constantly, so... the rotator is a great idea.

I've never tried to track the arc from an ice shanty, but I can testify that lake ice moves.

They probably need to tweak the azimuth every time the wind changes directions.

The ice on Mille Lacs doesnt move much...its usually 3-3 1/2 feet thick :)

Lots of fish houses have dishes on them now...no slimlines yet ;)
all D500's or directv singles

hell when you can rent a fishhouse that is 12x32 you want some satellite TV :)

14 Hole House - - Sleeps 7- 9 people / 12' x 32 -- 2 full size beds & 5 single beds

The ice on Mille Lacs doesnt move much...its usually 3-3 1/2 feet thick :)

Lots of fish houses have dishes on them now...no slimlines yet ;)
all D500's or directv singles

hell when you can rent a fishhouse that is 12x32 you want some satellite TV :)

14 Hole House - - Sleeps 7- 9 people / 12' x 32 -- 2 full size beds & 5 single beds
Ice,
Never went ice fishing, would the wind move the ice shack while your fishing, is the shack spiked into the ice? How do you get back and forth to land?
mikelib

...very carefully.

Even if the main body of ice is 5 feet thick, there are going to be thin spots, most notably near shore, and it is all prone to being shoved around by shifting winds. The force generated by the wind blowing over vast expanses of ice is tremendous. Earth or ice, something will give. It is rather like plate tectonics on fast-forward.

This action can play havoc with ice roads. Ice fishing communities, resort owners, and hard-core individual fisherman utilize portable bridges to span the narrower fissures. Larger fresh gaps will force everyone who wishes to get safely on or OFF the lake on a miles-long detour to the downwind side of the lake (where the ice will be shoved snuggly up against the shoreline.)

I suppose your right Ice. It never occurred to me water is auto leveling and by extension so would the frozen lake.

Ice,
Never went ice fishing, would the wind move the ice shack while your fishing, is the shack spiked into the ice? How do you get back and forth to land?
mikelib

most bigger fish houses you pull out there...some have wheels on them
Once you find a spot you drop it on the ice and if there is no snow you dump water around the house which will have it freeze to the lake. If there is snow you just put snow around it. The house wont move

Depending on how much ice is on the lake you walk, 4 wheeler it or drive. The general rule is
4 inches to walk on
6 for a fat person to walk on (my own little rule)
8 for a 4 wheeler or snowmobile
12 for a car
14-16 for a truck

when we use to pull the fish house out with the John Deere tractor we needed 20-24 inches for sure

The lake we put it on they actually plow roads out to the fish houses...sadly they plow the ice better than the state does the normal roads ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)