Initial 721 SW Download Problem

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I have my new 721 installed with a DP Quad LNB. It's delivered SW version is something like L054. It keeps cycling after I rebooted it. Dish CSR says I need to temporarily hook up a legacy LNB to download the new software. Has anyone heard of this?

yep

The 721 doesn't like to work with a quad from the get-go. Once you have the new software downloaded, you'll be OK

Thanks. Which bird does the SW come down from? It may be easier to swing my 300 over instead of getting the installer back out to switch out LNBs.

What a pain in the ass. The installer returned and hooked up a legacy quad. The 721 was stuck in a reboot cycle, it would show:

Verifying Hard drive...
Please wait...

Then it would turn off and do it again. After a looong time (30-45 minutes?) we were able to get the menu back on. Then it showed it was downloading Software Update. I left for two hours and it was working with SW version L171. Dish Advance Tech couldn't figure it out and is sending a replacement 721. So I have a replacement coming and the 721 I have now seems to be working now.

What can I do to really tax the 721? I'd like to "break it" so I can send it back if it truly is a problem receiver.

if you're not comfortable with it, just send it back and keep the new one. you can always say it wasn't booting when you had it. they know their software isn't the greatest.

I don't know how, but I did my initial software download three weeks ago using my new Dish Pro Quad LNB. Didn't have any problems at all. Strange.

gpflepsen said:
What can I do to really tax the 721? I'd like to "break it" so I can send it back if it truly is a problem receiver.

Remember the intro. to Second City TV?
Not the first E* equipment thread that made me think of that :)

Dave

I have downloaded hundreds of 721's before we shipped them out of the Dishstore. We do it for 2 reasons...

#1 To make sure there is no issues with the receiver rebooting for an hour and then having angry customers calling the office complaining we sold them a defective unit and demand some sort of compansation or a replacement unit to be shipped out to them.

#2 To help prevent Piracy since Software Version L054 makes the receiver very easy to hack.

But anyways, yes its perfectly normal for the receiver to reboot severl times. A matter of fact I have seen receivers reboot for up to an hour before the Point Dish screen will finally come up.

Best thing to do is leave the satellite feed connected while waiting for it to boot correctly, however if you do disconnect it, I have found it boots up faster but then you run the risk of it rebooting when you screw in the satellite feeds.

But I don't know what it is, but the unit is stable after the initial software download.

Other than that, any unit shipped with a yellow card is not on L054 which means the units are stable out of the box and will function properly without taking the initial software download.

The reason that i want the l054 is i buy the prv 721 from: ebay and did not work out
i need l054 partition to get the rith partition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)