Inquiry

ECruzBUD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
SEATTLE, WA.
Hi Folks,
:)
This is more of "OFF-TOPIC" subject that is non-satellite related.

I just want to ask around... Have any of you heard of 2TB USB Flash drive???

I also heard that it has been around for a couple of years or so.
Like Kingston makes them, but they cost so costly arould $900!!!

But what got me attention LAST Christmas, 2019 was 2TB USB flash drive key-ring
on ebay, and made in China for $4.
And I did some research that those 2TB flash USB flash drive for 4 dollars are SCAM!!
:(
You would only go up to and end at 32 GB ( 29.5 GB axact ) and NO more exceed that.
YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FILL IN 1.90 TB as it shown on the computer!!!!

The ONLY legitimate 2TB USB flash drive is Kingston brand. But too much to buy one.

I also saw JUST NEW on ebay that ScanDisk Cruzer is also selling their 2TB USB flash drive.
But again, I saw where that is located. N.Y. and China.

I thought it was COOL last Christmas, 2019 for my 2 nephews.
1 is 33 and the other is 27 for Christmas. :)
They both complained and told me that it's a Chinese scam and me screwed up. :(

My 33 years old nephew who's taking Computer Science ( 4 years course in Seattle ) says
that those Chinese added a so-called "Microcontoller" that confused Windows that the
flash drive capacity is 2TB ( 1.90 TB free space ) But really it's a 32 GB flash drive on
that little silver USB key-change. That what he thinks the Chinese did to it to fool Windows OS.

Anyone knows or can think any better of GOOD and Legitimate 2TB USB flash drive that allow
you to exceed over 32 GB????

I saw a 2 TB USB ScnaDisk Cruzer 2.0 for $42 on ebay!!!! Again, it shows the ebayer's location.
N.Y. and China.
They say compatible with Windows OS.

I never have any problem with ScanDisk Cruzer brand name, such as 4GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB USB flash drives. Made in Taiwan.

The one I bought for my nephews, the small silver 2TB USB flash drive key-change has NO brand name on it. It came in a little plastic bag.

So, again, anyone here on this forum is familiar with 2TB USB flash drive and that it work for YOU??
Work without any problem and able to exceed over 32 GB to reach to 1.90 TB????

IF any of you did succeed, how did you do it??? Where did you get the right 2TB flash drive???
( Hopefully not Kingston, too expensive )

I format USB flash drive as in NTFS with Windows 7 Ultimate on my tower computer.

Hope all helps with answers.

Thanks for reading my inquiry-off-topic.

Of course, some of you use USB flash drive on the FTA receivers
to record FTA channels as in TI format. :)

ECruzBUD

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing to notice about the cheap 2TB drives is the USB level. Most I've seen were USB 2.0 and that's nasty from a speed perspective.

One that I saw claimed speeds of 8MB/second and that works out to 73 hours to fill the drive to capacity.

You really don't want a 2TB flash drive from China. Some may indeed be 2TB but most have been "upgraded by a 32GB memory chip".

You can get much better value (and likely more speed) with a mechanical hard drive ad N6BY recommends.

If it seems too good to be true, it is. On what planet would 2TB of flash memory go for $4?

All 1+ TB flash drives on Amazon and eBay are fake unless from a well-known manufacture like Kingston or Corsair and they will be priced appropriately.

If you want large storage capacity, fast read/write speed in a smaller foot print, portable SSDs are the way to go. I got a 1TB WD MyPassport SSD for $130 in the Fall. Amazon has the dimensions at 3.5” x 1.8”. The largest mainstream flash drives are 256 GB. Just bought a dozen HP branded (actually made by PNY I believe) 256 GB flash drives last week for work at $30 each.

How about something like this? $300 for a 2TB external SSD from an established maker sold by a known seller.

Yes, a long time ago. Even if I had not seen it though, common sense would tell you $4 for a 2TB Flash Drive is not true. Not sure I understand the point of this thread.

Reactions: N6BY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts