Inserted Ads on DVR playback?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I have had this happen to me twice now. While watching recordings of Rock Legends on AXS, during the third commercial break, it appears as though Dish is inserting an ad. What happens is, I use 30 second skip to go forward 2 minutes, which I know is the length of that commercial break. The show will start to come back, but then the screen will go black, and then an ad will start to play, specifically a Nissan ad. I can FF through it, but if I skip ahead, things get very confusing. Also, I then have to RW to get back to the beginning of the segment as the show is already in progress when the Nissan ad is over.

Anyone else see anything like this? It is quite annoying, on par with the ads I couldn't FF on DirecTV.

Yes. They seem to be able to show an ad but only in live mode. It won't record and you can't replay it by rewinding. I saw it do this last winter and it was always just one ad. Though I expect they do it more often and I just don't catch it by rewinding, but now you have seem one too.

Below it the ad that was doing. Kind of freaky too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: ncted
This crap really makes me wonder why I don't just pay to "own" all the content I watch on something like iTunes or Vudu (not counting shows I already stream from Netflix, etc.). I can't stand someone trying to force a commercial on me, especially when I go through the trouble of leasing a DVR from them.

They seem to do this on CNBC a lot. I just caught it. The screen pixalated a bit at the start of a car commercial. I hit one back button and it was a medical commercial. The car commercial could not be returned to and was gone.

I've seen it a third time on another AXS recording. What the heck, Dish?

Several of the online sports services do the same thing, insert local ads in real time. MLB.TV and NHL.TV insert local Colorado Springs based ads all the time. Rewind to watch an inning over and it will usually be a different commercial. Lawyers seem to love to advertise on MLB.tv, go figure.

I know its done and I see local broadcasters do it too. I just wonder how Dish shows one commercial and records another simultaneously?

The commercials are on the hard drive and are updated all the time.

When you are watching a show that has "local avail" time, if you have a commercial available it will be shown over the top of the national commercial.

Reactions: pattykay
The commercials are on the hard drive and are updated all the time.

When you are watching a show that has "local avail" time, if you have a commercial available it will be shown over the top of the national commercial.

Well, it isn't working very well. It starts playing over actual content, and then you have to rewind back 30 seconds or whatever, once the commercial is finished. It just started recently, so perhaps they updated the code to make the ads more aggressive?

Well, it isn't working very well. It starts playing over actual content, and then you have to rewind back 30 seconds or whatever, once the commercial is finished. It just started recently, so perhaps they updated the code to make the ads more aggressive?
They simply can broadcast two things at once and chose which one you see live and which one will record on disk. Wicked.

They simply can broadcast two things at once and chose which one you see live and which one will record on disk. Wicked.

I wouldn't mind that if it played in the right place. The ad is playing over the program instead of another ad.

I wouldn't mind that if it played in the right place. The ad is playing over the program instead of another ad.

DISH as others do this. (Brighthouse had done this for a very long time much longer than DISH has) But I agree with you covering over the actual show with regularity would be a new thing and would be annoying. On a rare occasion in the past I have seen it happen but not for quite sometime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)