Install Complaint

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackson5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I just had a bad experience w/ my DVR install. Job was very sloppy and my 2nd line still doesn't work. My house also has at least one hole in it now in a really stupid spot that wasn't necessary. Any idea how to issue a formal complaint to DTV.

Wow, is D* the new Voom? My dad's DVR was installed earlier in the month and the installer was an A$$ as per what he said. No bad holes or cable runs ... just poor behavior while on the "customer" site.

jackson5 said:
I just had a bad experience w/ my DVR install. Job was very sloppy and my 2nd line still doesn't work. My house also has at least one hole in it now in a really stupid spot that wasn't necessary. Any idea how to issue a formal complaint to DTV.

where did you buy your equipment? Who done your Install?

Yeah, I know

I'm just not real confident they'll be willing to help me out. Plus, the install is not complete yet because the second line still doesn't work. So, I don't know if I should wait until the install is finally done right(hopefully) before I call up and raise he%%.

jackson5 said:
I'm just not real confident they'll be willing to help me out. Plus, the install is not complete yet because the second line still doesn't work. So, I don't know if I should wait until the install is finally done right(hopefully) before I call up and raise he%%.

well if they are coming back to you house then make them fix it right don't let them get away with just but it in away i would call up the install company and let them know i am not happen with what has been do so far maybe they will send out someone else. you have the right to request a different installer.

Bad install

I had a friend that had a horrible install and Directv said the only thing they could do was give him the number for the place that installed the system. Remember, the installer does not work for directv, rather directv pays him for the install, but he works for himself, or another company... even a cable company in your area.
Anyway... my friend was upset because the installer drilled a hole in his nice wood floor 2 feet from ANY wall. so it looks retarded, and now he has a hole in the middle of his wood floor. The installer comany gave him crap, so he threatened to call a lawyer, because he had that and another issue with the line they ran outside his house (they didn't strap it to anything, 30 ft. of cable run around his house), and they atleast came out to his house and looked at it. After Finding out how seriouse he was about calling the lawyer, they got their insurance company to cover the cost to replace his entire wood floor. Turns out he had an older wood floor, so to replace one board in the floor that the installer screwed up, would make it not match the rest of the floor. So that bedroom floor was repaced, as well as his hallway floor, and antother bedroom floor, (all of those were adjoining floors).
So that's my advice, get a hold of the installers company and don't back down... these guys don't live in your house, so they are not particularly careful about installing the equiptment and taking their time. I had the greatest installer in the world so I guess I lucked out, but I have heard of other "nightmare" installers as well.

Thanks for all the info

I did know from the get go that this guy was goofy. He was super nice, but he was crazy. At one point, he literally said to me, "this is not my best work"....now who the hell says that to a customer. This guy ran wire that should have taken about 1 hour and he was at my house for 3 hours, and I did as much installation as he did. When he finally did leave, the second line didn't work. I'm going to try to be a hard a$$ and see what happens. I feel bad because the guy was nice, he was just not very good.

My experience so far with this install is:

first install - guys were in a hurry, told me only way to run 2nd is wrapping it all the way around the outside of my house. Since I couldn't decide in 30 seconds, they told me to cancel and call back if I decide I want it.

second install - 8AM - 12PM. Guy shows up at 3:30. Drills a random hole in the side of my house that is nowhere near where the first line comes in and didn't tuck the cable at all. It literally loosely hangs from my dish to where it enters the house. Looks like $hit. Plus, the 2nd line doesn't work. got no tutorial or help with activation.

My original plan was to buy a DVR off ebay and do the install myself. I decided against it because I figured the extra $$ I pay to DTV will cover my time and effort for the install. Boy, was I wrong.

Oh...got it right through DTV...I"m an existing customer and just did the upgrade. Local installer, DTV sent out. Don't have the name.

Jackson, call back and tell the CSR you had an incomplete install, that your second satellite input doesn't work. You'll have to troubleshoot, but they can set up an in warranty service call and an escallation to see what needs to be done to correct any other problems from the install. Someone has to call you within 24 hours of the escallation being issued.

In process

Newshawk said:
Jackson, call back and tell the CSR you had an incomplete install, that your second satellite input doesn't work. You'll have to troubleshoot, but they can set up an in warranty service call and an escallation to see what needs to be done to correct any other problems from the install. Someone has to call you within 24 hours of the escallation being issued.

Thanks. yeah, I've started that process already. Another guy is coming to supposedly complete the install tomorrow. This will be the 3rd install in less then a week. DTV will owe me a friggen' weeks vacation until this is done! I think they set up the escalation last night and nobody has called yet.

Someone else at DTV also told me that I need to talk to a "supervisor". I have two issues, right: 1. Getting the 2nd line to work and I guess the escalation should cover that. and 2. The bad workmanship and bad experience. The hole in the side of my house that is nowhere near the other cable for no good reason can't be fixed easily. My 3 days of lost work time can't be gotten back either. So, that is a different issue and these guys need to "compensate" me for that as well.

I urge all customers to ask to see their "installers" SBCA 1+2 card, License, and picture I.D. BEFORE letting them set foot in your home. (make sure they NEVER remove their shoes in your home, if they stand on a rusty nail or whatever guess who is liable.........YOU its also against OSHA laws) It seems to be they are sending out ANYONE with a truck these days. True the above will not save you from mistakes and bad workmanship but if you mention the above everyday requirements in other areas of low voltage installation at the time you schedule your installation they will send round there best tech. Make sure your system is grounded to local and NEC code and if its not call them and tell them you smell burning from the cables again the top tech will be right over there to install it the way they they are contracted to do, you know the way they are getting paid for the job, to do it RIGHT first time!

Good Luck with the rest of the install, I am sure it will be well worth it in the end, DirecTV is a GREAT service!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)