Thinking about switching to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Ok I'm my 1 year contract with E* is up, and I'm thinking about making the switch to DirecTV cause they have a couple of stations that I want and they have more HD content, and more plans for HD content. Currently I do not have a HD tv and probably won't be getting one for a year or so, but I do have plans to go HD sometime within a year (maybe sooner if I find a deal on a TV I can't pass up). What I'm wondering is should I go ahead and get the HD DVR from D* if I switch now that way when I get my HD tv all I have to do is hook it up and sign up for the HD package or should I just get the normal DVR and then upgrade to the HD receiver when I finally get a TV? Will the HD receiver even work right with a regular TV?

The "normal" DVR s only $50, probably can swing it for free as a new sub to D*. The HD DVR will cost you more and you will probably get a swap-out unit at little or no charge when D* moves to MPEG4 in your market. Personally if you are not planning on buying an HDTV for a year, you may want to hold off as the DVR's available for use will have more features, however, you can end up in an endless cycle of wait.

Give one of the site sponsors (Robert) at Value Electronics a call. They are always good to satelliteGuys members. He will also be able to answer all of your questions about "what" if and "when", both DVR's are great products, especially if you are moving from Dish!

See that's kind of what I was thinking. Things are changing so fast, that I'm afraid if I bought an HD receiver now, that by the time I get an HD tv that it would be outdated and I'd just need anotherone anyway. Also, I know you can get into an endless cycle of waiting, but if I don't need it, why not wait when things can get better. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have everything so when I do finally get a HD tv, all I have to do is bring it home and plug it in.

Just so nobody thinks I'm trying to bash Dish or something, I'm not, and I'm not really mad at them. I've had absolutely no troubles with their service or their equipment. However, I have heard that if you want to step up the DVR service, that their DVR equipment is junk. Also, as I said, D* gets a couple of channels that Dish doesn't that I would like, and they don't seem to be too quick on adding HD content. In fact, from what I've heard they don't plan on adding anything in the next year. Not that it matters too much to me since I don't have a tv yet, but it's nice to know that the company you are with is more willing to embrace new technology.

The universal rule in electronics in twice as good at half the price in 18 months. It's Moores Law on computers ;) The reason to get it now is to enjoy it now, if you cannot enjoy it now, then why get it now?

Dish a great content provider ... but hardware was what hooked me to D*

Yeah I'm thinking along the exact same lines as you are, just thought I would ask some opinions on here and see what people think. One other quick question, I know with E* you usually have to do a 1 year agreement to get their best deals and I'm sure D* is the same way. However, with E* I don't think you can upgrade equipment until that year is up. Is D* the same way or would I be able to upgrade to HD at any time?

When I first signed up with D* I had a HNS E86 STB in the original config. I was told all I had to do was to activate the box within 30 days and keep D* service for 1 year. A couple of months later CC had the Sony HR300 on sale for $300 so I got one and replaced the E86 with it, no problem and no penalty.

he should note that when you "upgrade" D* always hooks you for another year. In their defense ... they are the best :) FWIW

slacker9876 said:
he should note that when you "upgrade" D* always hooks you for another year. In their defense ... they are the best :) FWIW
Sorry, forgot about that. But is there a hard and fast rule for that? I ask since when I purchased my HR10-250 they did not reset the clock on the year.

It's always been that way for me whenever I upgraded our receivers.

Ok I have another question. I just noticed that the Tivo service requires a phone line (guess I'll have to get one) and I'm wondering why? And do I need long distance too or will local service be good enough?

Don't be too switch to switch. Do your reasearch. We switched because we thought DirecTV was so great but we now regret it and are waiting until our stupid 1 year commitmment is up so we can switch back to Dish. Also do your reasearch on the Tivo. It is not that great and has a major problem. Read my post history.

hahler2 said:
Ok I have another question. I just noticed that the Tivo service requires a phone line (guess I'll have to get one) and I'm wondering why? And do I need long distance too or will local service be good enough?

The tivo's need the phone line to confirm software upgrades. The EPG and such all come in through satellite, so no worries there. I believe it makes an 800 call, so check your service.

I figured they probably used an 800 number but I figured I better double check.

Reddice, I appreciate your opinion and I always extensively research things becfore I make a switch on something like this. If I don't think it's the right thing to do, then I won't do it.

I've been reading about these people that have trouble with the DirectTivo displaying in black and white, have they solved this problem and are they still having it with the R10? Also, what is this 30 minute buffer that everybody is talking about?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I don't mean to sound like an idiot, I just want to make sure that I'm making an informed decision. Thanks for all the help.

hahler2 said:
I've been reading about these people that have trouble with the DirectTivo displaying in black and white, have they solved this problem and are they still having it with the R10? Also, what is this 30 minute buffer that everybody is talking about?

I have two HNS SD-DVR40's since 5/04, one of which I upgraded with a 2nd 120GB drive and neither of them have the B&W problem. The 30 minute buffer is if you're tuned to a channel it will keep the last 30 minutes of the program in it's buffer so you can rewind back that far. Example, you come home and turn on the TV and you see a show that looks interesting but it's been on for 25 minutes, you can rewind back 25 minutes to the beginning. However, if it's been on for 40 minutes you can go back only 30. Got it???

I've been reading about these people that have trouble with the DirectTivo displaying in black and white, have they solved this problem and are they still having it with the R10?

I have an R10 and I have not seen any black or white problems on mine.

Ok. Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge. Even the people that have said they are having trouble with the R10 only have it when they channel surf very quickly. I don't channel surf, I always use the guide, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be calling Value Electronics sometime today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Well I went ahead and called VE and got setup with everything I need. I got an R10 and a triple LNB dish. According to the tracking page the equipment should be here tomorrow and I'm just waiting on the installer to call me to setup a time to do it. I'm hoping to have it installed by Monday, cause if that doesn't happen it will have to be the week after. The only concern I have that hasn't been resolved yet is I'm not sure if my new universal remote will work with the R10. I got a Harmony 688 and I've heard on the Tivo forums that someone had trouble getting it to work with the R10. Guess I'll find out when I get it installed. Thanks for all the help though everyone, I'm really looking forward to my first Tivo!

hahler2 said:
Well I went ahead and called VE and got setup with everything I need. I got an R10 and a triple LNB dish. According to the tracking page the equipment should be here tomorrow and I'm just waiting on the installer to call me to setup a time to do it. I'm hoping to have it installed by Monday, cause if that doesn't happen it will have to be the week after. The only concern I have that hasn't been resolved yet is I'm not sure if my new universal remote will work with the R10. I got a Harmony 688 and I've heard on the Tivo forums that someone had trouble getting it to work with the R10. Guess I'll find out when I get it installed. Thanks for all the help though everyone, I'm really looking forward to my first Tivo!

Update us with your opinions, I myself will probably be looking for a provider also, since Voom has been sold. I have Dish on hold now, never had Directv, and I'm curious about their service.

I wish Voom could hang around, really loved the PQ of their service both HD and SD.

hahler2 said:
The only concern I have that hasn't been resolved yet is I'm not sure if my new universal remote will work with the R10. I got a Harmony 688 and I've heard on the Tivo forums that someone had trouble getting it to work with the R10. Guess I'll find out when I get it installed. Thanks for all the help though everyone, I'm really looking forward to my first Tivo!
Please keep us informed about setting up the Harmony Remote. I want to do the same and could use some "lessons learned".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts