Install Cost

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

03accord

Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Does the installation cost anything when they are installing it. Our apartments will not let the dish be attached to the building or roof. It can be attached to our balcony rails, but they point in the exact opposite direction than the dish needs to be facing.

Do you think there will be any charges regarding this install?

So you scheduled an install knowing that you had absolutely no chance of finding a LOS? No, there will be no charge...but put yourself in the installer's shoes. Hopefully he/she will be compensated by their company for the trip.

I'm having mine installed and I am not allowed to mount ANYTHING to the building, and the installers are charging me $55 to make a bucket with cement and a poll, then mounting the dish and locals antenna to the poll. $55 for each poll. That's the only cost I have for install. I'm sure it varies by installer.
--TayHuck

03accord said:
Does the installation cost anything when they are installing it. Our apartments will not let the dish be attached to the building or roof. It can be attached to our balcony rails, but they point in the exact opposite direction than the dish needs to be facing.

Do you think there will be any charges regarding this install?
How is going to work pointed in the wrong direction?

Yeah. I'm kinda curious what he intends to do with a balcony with no view of the sat. Why do I have the feeling this will all be Voom's fault when it doesn't work?

occammd said:
Hope you find a nice window

Only if the window allows him/her to see in the window of a neighbor with Voom.

I doubt that Voom will support an installation where the satellite signal must enter via window.

The cement bucket thing works fine on a southern-facing balcony.

Some companies will not let me do a bucket mount, and I dont really blame them, if the dish moves its the installer who has to go back out and repoint the dish for free! Also some companies do not pay for an installer to go to an apartment when they find there is no line of sight, only in this "industry". Then there is the small matter of grounding to NEC code, this cant be done on MANY apartments, so its kind of tough for the LICENSED installer, the hacks have no problem with this!!!!!!! Add this to all the restrictions landlords are putting on installations and its a real mess, there are "cubsat" satellite dish that work for apartments, and if no one knows its a dish no one can say anything......depends how much your really want satellite! But I would NOT advise installing a satellite system and hooking it up to your new HDTV without a ground..........

http://www.itbusa.net/

http://www.allegiantinc.com/

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html