Install opinions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skankerp

Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I am determined to get Directv and dump TWC once and for all, but had 2 different guys come out to try for install last week. The first said it could be done but he didn't have a tall enough ladder to get to the SE corner of my roof (~45'). The second said it outright couldn't be done due to LOS issues. I asked to have another crew come out this weekend to recheck what the first guy said, but hope I'm not being too demanding or just not getting it. I've analyzed dishpointer to death and am convinced that it should work, and the only conclusion I can come up with is that a 45' high roof is simply not where these guys want to be climbing on a 95 degree day if they aren't 100% sure it will work. Does anyone know of any specific height limits that installers won't go over or have similar experiences? I really did hate asking to have another crew come out, but I'm dying for what I seemingly can't have now!! Thanks for any input or replies.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I'm not an installer, so I can't speak to what restrictions they may have. If you have a smart phone and are willing to spend $20, you should get the dishpointer app. It will accurately tell you where the satellites are. By standing behind where you want the dish, you can see if there is a clear los at any one spot.

Sounds like they just didn't want to do it. Using the dishpointer website you can use the drag and drop tool to check height. What is preventing the line of sight? Trees?

Anything over a 28' ladder they won't do any longer. To much of a service issue with 40' ladders, and if it's 45' to your spot they probaly won't have a ladder to reach it.

45' up, I would not expect them to deal with....
For starters, you don't generally have a 45' ladder on your truck, I know for a fact that our company has one, but no one has it on thier truck and it's only used about 1 time a year, if that.

Generally if it's over a standard 28' ladder reach, it's too high.

Are you willing to get up on the roof to get snow off of it if needed ?

Why not move it to a pole mount in the same general direction if possible.

I am determined to get Directv and dump TWC once and for all, but had 2 different guys come out to try for install last week. The first said it could be done but he didn't have a tall enough ladder to get to the SE corner of my roof (~45'). The second said it outright couldn't be done due to LOS issues. I asked to have another crew come out this weekend to recheck what the first guy said, but hope I'm not being too demanding or just not getting it. I've analyzed dishpointer to death and am convinced that it should work, and the only conclusion I can come up with is that a 45' high roof is simply not where these guys want to be climbing on a 95 degree day if they aren't 100% sure it will work. Does anyone know of any specific height limits that installers won't go over or have similar experiences? I really did hate asking to have another crew come out, but I'm dying for what I seemingly can't have now!! Thanks for any input or replies.

As a installer I can say the forty foot ladder is the issue.

It takes two people to handel it safely. Where an installation office even has one they would tack on a one hundred dollar service charge just for the 40' ladder. So once the dish is up...any further service on it will require bringing out the same rig & charge. In high winds you can't safely use it and likewise in snow or rain.

Any chance you can get on the roof at another...lower point?

joe

45' up, I would not expect them to deal with....
For starters, you don't generally have a 45' ladder on your truck, I know for a fact that our company has one, but no one has it on thier truck and it's only used about 1 time a year, if that.

Generally if it's over a standard 28' ladder reach, it's too high.

Are you willing to get up on the roof to get snow off of it if needed ?

Why not move it to a pole mount in the same general direction if possible.

you should definitely look into a pole mount

Thanks for all the replies, definitely helpful info. To anwer the questions, trees are the LOS issue and the 45' roof is the only spot that they or I can identify as having clear LOS. Pole mount isn't an option because I'd lose so much elevation that my deck and the trees will be right back in the way. Any idea if it's possible to mount half way up just on the side of the house? If so, I think 25 - 30' up should be high enough. The roof is aesthetically preferable, but in the end I don't really care as long as I get signal. Alternatively, yes the roof can be accessed from about 20', but would require walking on a pretty steep pitch to get to the optimal corner. I have no issues with heights whatsoever, but even I probably wouldn't take the risk, so I'm sure an installer wouldn't either. For reference, here is my house and potential location, anyone notice something I may be missing? Capture.JPG

One thing may be of some help. Your local sd channels are on 101, so you don't need to see the 119 satellite. They would install an dish that would get 99, 101, and 103. Check the los for 101. The hd sats flank 101 pretty closely, so you don't need a big area for the dish to view.

that might be the trick, the installer did mention that I could get most everything except 119 with an easier install, would this just mean no HD locals? That might be a deal breaker for my wife, but worth thinking about. I take it 99 and 103 are the non-local HDs?

All of the hd channels are on either 99 or 103. Locals are on either 99s or 103s. Nationals are on either 99c, 103ca, or 103cb. Your local hd channels are on 103, transponders 21 and 22. Apparently you also get WDBJ, WRIC, and WSET, all from Richmond. Those are on the 119 in sd, but they aren't listed on the Directv website as part of your locals. They may be what is call significantly viewed channels that in some areas are offered to neighboring cities. Funny though, they don't show on the Directv website either as sv channels. They are on the chart that is kept on dbstalk, which is a very detailed listing of who gets what channels. The bottom line is you should call Directv and see if those three are offered in your area or not. The reason for asking is if they are, Directv MAY require a 5 lnb install in order to get the 119. That would mean you would have to go to a local independent installer to get a 3 lnb install. Either way, let us know what Directv tells you about your locals.

If it's a "deal breaker" for your wife then it's going to be one for you too. No question about that. :)

Thanks for all the replies, definitely helpful info. To anwer the questions, trees are the LOS issue and the 45' roof is the only spot that they or I can identify as having clear LOS. Pole mount isn't an option because I'd lose so much elevation that my deck and the trees will be right back in the way. Any idea if it's possible to mount half way up just on the side of the house? If so, I think 25 - 30' up should be high enough. The roof is aesthetically preferable, but in the end I don't really care as long as I get signal. Alternatively, yes the roof can be accessed from about 20', but would require walking on a pretty steep pitch to get to the optimal corner. I have no issues with heights whatsoever, but even I probably wouldn't take the risk, so I'm sure an installer wouldn't either. For reference, here is my house and potential location, anyone notice something I may be missing?View attachment 79710

IF you can get on a "walkable" roof many things are possible. Even on a steep roof it is possible to use rappelling gear ( read rope through mail slot of front door and run to belt of installer). One of the things that could work is called an NonPenetrating Roof Mount (NPR). Think of a small sled with weight and a place to mount a mast and dish. It could sit on the ridge of the roof. And yes, a dish can be set on the edge of a roof...gotta find a stud, bro! The concept that guides all this is the need for the tech to be able to work from aloft without going over the edge. The forty foot ladder or a forty ft elevation off the roof produces the same effect if the tech goes down too fast, FOR (Fell Offa Roof)

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts