Install problems getting HD in the north

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

northpointe

Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Stratford, Ontario
spent 3 days in the cold trying to align new Slimline SWM 5 dish because I want HD like I have at my other residence. Using a new Tracker Light meter to locate satellite. I still have my old 18" dish here which receives all the SD programming without any problem so I know I am getting 101W.
When I locate 101W and lock on I can get about 83% signal quality but when I adjust skew and try to locate 119 no signal. If I change the dish setting I can get 119 but then lose 101W.
Am I missing something? Since there are 3 LNBs am I getting the wrong LNB on the 101W Satellite? which makes it impossible to locate 119?
When I lock on 101 and check my PVR H23-700 it shows getting programming and then a about 97% complete I get "no signal 771 error"
Any help would be appreciated.
PS - before I left my other home I set up the new Dish and it worked with the same PVR I brought with me. I went to Dishpointer.com and got new elevation, azimouth and Skew settings.
Help

You may be pointing at the wrong satellite, but I suspect your mast isn't plumb. 101 and 119 are usually pretty easy to dial in.

Hi Chip
the bubble level was right in the middle. I will check again though. I can get both satellites but not peeked together - is that why you think the mast is not plumb?

Yes, either that or your skew setting is wrong. BTW, I wouldn't trust the level built into the mast. You should use a post level.

Error code 771 (no signal) usually means a problem with cabling, low power, etc. I would make sure that all the connections are tight and that you have nothing in the line at your "new" location. If the Tracker Light meter that I see listed is the same as you have, you should be able to see 119 as well as 101 on the meter. If not, you have some issue that is showing up in the cold weather versus where you set it up before.

If you have a recent android phone I strongly recommend Satellite AR and SatFinder. Both are free and they really help. Satellite AR will give you a view of where the sats are so you can see if you have any obstruction issues. SatFinder is worth it weight in gold since it uses GPS for the compass so it is not influenced by any metal around the area. I put the phone right under the LNB arm and line it up that way. Soooo much easier than a compass on the ground. The compass on the SatFinder app also turns green when you have the setting correct.

Oh, and I am with Chip. Get a pole level from HD. Much easier to use and be sure the post is really vertical. I did this all last week to test the RV setup before our next trip. Much easier than what I did in the past.

119 is mostly spanish just set the skew and find the 101 and you will be good. I did that with a 3 lnb slimline that I setup.

With a 5 lnb, you need 119 to come in since the guide data comes from there.

Don't use the meter, if at all possible get a TV to a location where it can be seen from the dish, and peak using the meter on the receiver itself. Otherwise, get someone to talk to you over the phone while they are in front of the TV and you are at the dish. PM me if you want phone support.

Well I finally have HD. After a week of frustration. What did I learn? The Meter which I paid $150 can find the satellite but I only got the signal on both tuners when I brought my PVR and portable TV outside and used it for the signal meter. It is a very small target in the sky to hit to get the signal. My home is wired for satellite but they must have splitters hidden somewhere because I had to run new wire to all of my receivers. It worked fine for SD but not HD.
Utube is a great resource to get info on how to set up your TV. I appreciate this website and the quick replies I received from you all.
Thank's for your help - I have to go and watch some TV. By the way should I tell Direct I want SWM installation in Florida or is there no benefit?

Well I finally have HD. After a week of frustration. What did I learn? The Meter which I paid $150 can find the satellite but I only got the signal on both tuners when I brought my PVR and portable TV outside and used it for the signal meter. It is a very small target in the sky to hit to get the signal. My home is wired for satellite but they must have splitters hidden somewhere because I had to run new wire to all of my receivers. It worked fine for SD but not HD.
Utube is a great resource to get info on how to set up your TV. I appreciate this website and the quick replies I received from you all.
Thank's for your help - I have to go and watch some TV. By the way should I tell Direct I want SWM installation in Florida or is there no benefit?
Remember, the Sat Meter your using, sees ALL the Sats, not just the Sat YOU need, thats the frustrating part of using the meters, it will read All of them and unless your on the Correct ones, you won't have signal.
VERY few meters tell you what Sat your hitting.

As for your install, No Splitters allowed between the Dish and the recvr. on a D* set up, unless it's a SWM set up, even then it has to be THIER SWM set up Splitter to accept the correct frequencies.

If your taking the recvr from one location to the next, using the same set up would make things that much easier for you, if they are not the same you'll have to remember to use the "Repeat Sat Set Up" each time you move back and forth to match your current equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.