Install questions :) Grounding ?'s and sat. location ?'s

fastfed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Ok my dad is having Direct TV put in his house as we speak ( He does not have an HDTV ) the installer mounted the sat. to the side of the house, and took a ground from the electical box inside the house..

Now with voom, will they also mount my ant. and sat. to the side of the house? And will they just use a ground found inside the house? Or a new ground outside in the ground?

There is a difference for what purpose the ground is being used. If the dish is grounded to the electrical service, it would simply gorund any static electricity form the dish that is forming up over time.
If the intent is to ground for lightning strike, then they can use a ground rod in the immediate ficinity. In that case the new ground rod SHALL be connected to the gorund rod that is located at your electrical service entrance.

And yes, they can also run the ground conductor outside the house to the electrical service ground rod.

Remember, when the dish takes a direct hit from the lightning all of your system will be fried anyway. It would just protect against burning down the house - perhaps... :)

vader said:
There is a difference for what purpose the ground is being used. If the dish is grounded to the electrical service, it would simply gorund any static electricity form the dish that is forming up over time.
If the intent is to ground for lightning strike, then they can use a ground rod in the immediate ficinity. In that case the new ground rod SHALL be connected to the gorund rod that is located at your electrical service entrance.

And yes, they can also run the ground conductor outside the house to the electrical service ground rod.

Remember, when the dish takes a direct hit from the lightning all of your system will be fried anyway. It would just protect against burning down the house - perhaps... :)

My dish is installed near the meter, so that the Voom line comes into the garage right next to the breaker panel. The installer grounded it to the ground bus right at the panel. Presumably this goes right outside to either a grounding rod or the power conduit coming out of the ground. I suppose that in case of a lightning strike it would come into the garage then right back out. Then again if it is coming down the Voom cable it will be jumping to everything within 20 feet, including the meter. So - the question is whether I should "urge" him to install a ground rod when he brings my bigger dish out, or does his grounding meet code?

As far as the code is concerned, if the installer drives in a new ground rod for the dish it MUST be connected to the electrical service ground.
As far as the grounding the static off your dish, the instller can easily install the coax ground block at place the cable enters your house and ground that to the electrical service ground or rod.
Unless you live in the "little house in the prarie" the lightning issue is not something to worry about.
Some people have the dish installed on the high pole away from the house in the yard. That's where the "lightning protection ground" may be an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts