Install Saturday 6am-8am

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well Installer came by at 10:30! He apologized was a real nice guy but certainly not up in his knowledge. He has never installed an HR20, in fact noticed he was using the existing single line to my 622 for line. I asked him if he was multiplexing the signal to combine for both tuners, he looked confused and said yeah. Well anyway, I told him we need two dedicated lines running to the HR20, he said its not on the work order. I said okay, how much if I pay for it (he was talking about having D* authorize the extra line and making a trip back another time) and he told me $25 per line extra line. I said "do it". Well then he starts installing the receiver in my living room and as I am hooking it up I notice no Ethernet and only one Tuner input on the back. I then quickly glanced over at the sticker only to notice it says H20. I said "this is the wrong receiver". He gets out his work order, and it he says look, it says HD/DVR. I said "yeah this is an HD receiver without the DVR!" He looked very confused. He called his supervisor and he says yeah you need an HR20. So anyway, by this point its already about 2pm. He then leaves, gets back around 3:30, we make sure all the receivers are on etc, do the activation. All said and done he was a nice guy but now how I planned my day. He did manage to get D* to activate a used SDDVR40 I bought on e-bay, which I thought I had to replace the card. He did run two separate lines to that one and he charged me $25 for the one line. Also as I set up the receiver he told me not to select 5lnb dish and to select 3, (I am no pro) but I said "isn't that a 5 lnb dish you just installed and he said no. I selected 5 anyway, and everything checked out well. I ended up giving him $35 for his efforts, he was really nice and still kept his cool and realized the receiver mix up was his error. Finally he left at 4:30 to finish his two jobs he had left, poor guy!

Man I feel bad for that guy. Training sucks so bad. All i do is answer phone calls from other techs all day. BTW that WO thing D* will screw up and set it up as a new outlet. Setting it up as a new outlet cheats the tech out additional money for the 2nd line he should have gotten paid.

I wish all customers were as understanding/forgiving as sfollenius.
When the job is done right, they are.

But I forgot. Apparently, installers are flawless God's who should be treated as royalty. Sorry, but there are just as many fools among them as there are in other professions.

But I forgot. Apparently, installers are flawless God's who should be treated as royalty. Sorry, but there are just as many fools among them as there are in other professions.

It is only necessary to be understanding and/or forgiving when the installer is not a flawless God, or if preconceived notions that do not fall within DTVs standard installation criteria are not met (like wall fishing).

Just like customers. Some of them think they are flawless. Please give me a break nobody saying anything about being flawless:rolleyes:

glad to hear you got your hr20 installed, I'm still on the h20 myself.
my original install was a husband/wife combo from forest city and then the hd upgrade was someone local (you didn't miss too much in the 12pm games.)

Well Installer came by at 10:30! He apologized was a real nice guy but certainly not up in his knowledge. He has never installed an HR20, in fact noticed he was using the existing single line to my 622 for line. I asked him if he was multiplexing the signal to combine for both tuners, he looked confused and said yeah. Well anyway, I told him we need two dedicated lines running to the HR20, he said its not on the work order. I said okay, how much if I pay for it (he was talking about having D* authorize the extra line and making a trip back another time) and he told me $25 per line extra line. I said "do it". Well then he starts installing the receiver in my living room and as I am hooking it up I notice no Ethernet and only one Tuner input on the back. I then quickly glanced over at the sticker only to notice it says H20. I said "this is the wrong receiver". He gets out his work order, and it he says look, it says HD/DVR. I said "yeah this is an HD receiver without the DVR!" He looked very confused. He called his supervisor and he says yeah you need an HR20. So anyway, by this point its already about 2pm. He then leaves, gets back around 3:30, we make sure all the receivers are on etc, do the activation. All said and done he was a nice guy but now how I planned my day. He did manage to get D* to activate a used SDDVR40 I bought on e-bay, which I thought I had to replace the card. He did run two separate lines to that one and he charged me $25 for the one line. Also as I set up the receiver he told me not to select 5lnb dish and to select 3, (I am no pro) but I said "isn't that a 5 lnb dish you just installed and he said no. I selected 5 anyway, and everything checked out well. I ended up giving him $35 for his efforts, he was really nice and still kept his cool and realized the receiver mix up was his error. Finally he left at 4:30 to finish his two jobs he had left, poor guy!

When the 6-8 appointment window came out, it was to be for service calls only. D* then stopped doing them a couple of months ago. I wasn't aware you could even schedule an appointment for that time frame still.
6am?..Yeah right. Like I'd get my day started that early. F that....If we started that sh*t, I'd quit on the spot. I like this job(sometimes) I don't need this job. There's lots of other brands of decaf on the market. If ya know what I mean.

Damn...what a nightmare. You handled it well.
This is the state if of the satellite business. Low pay, overscheduling, lack of ownership of the jobs in the field and the offices means poor work quality, uncaring inexperinced CSR's and techs.

Watch it there. No one is stating we are infallable. No one is saying what you are implying. That we are "royalty". The fact is there are too many customers on here who have legitimate gripes for sure. That means people did not doing their jobs at THOSE customer's individual homes. But instead of faulting the one person that was at their home they decide to lash out at the entire trade. I am not going to tolerate it.
Get my point? No why don't you just simmer down.

There are some not so good installers but like someone else said the only thing that usually makes it in here is the bad experiences and the way I work is if your nice and kinda understanding there is a lot I can do for you if your workorder is wrong but i fyou blow up at me and start chewing my ass its between you and D* and Ill let them reschedule you instead of getting the order changed and doing it while I am there!!!!

Yea right, Its hard enough for me to get my techs to show up before 9AM and DIRECTV has got techs going out at 6AM.

To be at someones house at 6AM, the Tech has got to be out of bed at the very earliest 3:30AM by the time he heads to the office, gets the equipment and paperwork and drives out to your house!

Yea right, Its hard enough for me to get my techs to show up before 9AM and DIRECTV has got techs going out at 6AM.

To be at someones house at 6AM, the Tech has got to be out of bed at the very earliest 3:30AM by the time he heads to the office, gets the equipment and paperwork and drives out to your house!

Plenty of other industries do it .... isn't it a good idea to work your schedule around what the customer wants rather than make the customer work around what you or your tech wants ?

If you pay them enough money there are plenty of people that would be happy to get out of bed at 3.30 am and be somewhere at 6am.

Plenty of other industries do it .... isn't it a good idea to work your schedule around what the customer wants rather than make the customer work around what you or your tech wants ?

If you pay them enough money there are plenty of people that would be happy to get out of bed at 3.30 am and be somewhere at 6am.

You say that untill your out till 7pm or later

Yes .remember there are NO limits to human endurance and tolerance. You're absolutely right. You can rest easy knowing that service people are ready to go at any hour based upon your whims.
Money may be the prime motivator but it isn't the only one. We have families and lives just like you.
Look spongebob, it's just tv. If you need your tv fix that badly that you think you have to have someone at your house at crack thirty, you have a problem. And if this sounds a bit testy, you're correct.
Now to be fair and balanced I will submit that if an employer made it clear that work starts at 6am before an employee is hired, so be it.
But we're not discussing that mail man or the early AM radio host. We're discussing service techs going to people's homes when the kids are still sleeping and someone is getting ready for work to do what? Fix or install satellite? Uh uh...I can guarantee that 6-8 time frame will soon be a memory.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)