Install wait

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vikingstwins

Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
I signed up for DTV service on Oct 14th. They gave me a Nov 18th install date. This seems a long time to wait. Is this common? I have called DTV and the install company but nothing earlier so far.

I've seen other folks post about long install times, guess business is good.

One thing you can try is to create your online account and see if you can find an earlier install date online.

Ditto Rad's comments; and this is exactly how my buddies got their installs bumped up from 3 weeks out to 4 days.

Simply go to the DirecTV website and create a new online profile; fill out the required info. No need to call anyone as they are simply a phone bank with specialized scripts, they generally do not know much after that; and shouldn't really.

I ordered on October 6th and was forced to wait until November 1st. Then, for the hell of it, I went back to reschedule on their website and got October 18th instead.

I signed up October 13 got October 29th. Then called back because they didn't add Center Ice under the Early Bird. It then bumped me to October 30th. I called the Installer she tried to move me but the best she could do was November 7th. Glad it is finally over with tomorrow.

The long wait times are normal. With R10/HR15 swaps (older mpeg2 boxes) and NFL season starting/started there is generally a 2-5 week lead time.

TBH I think it has more to do with the amount D* and install companies have cut back on what they pay techs and the lack of time off they have been giving techs.. so many long timers have quit. (as well as overwhelmed new techs) Plus D* generally gives fulfillment companies 20% more jobs that they can handle to balance out LOS issues/Door Tags/Unable To Locate issues. With their new LNB that eliminates many LOS issues, that 20% has not been a safety buffer but a burden now.

So yea if they give you a 4 week lead time, its because they probably cant handle more before that, but by bypassing that system (there is generally a 48-72 hour before each or teh other gets changes) and going to the install company to get a earlier time or via web.. you are just further contributing to the "late shows" or no shows for that day since D* filled it and someone else added to the already loaded day. So if you get a 1 month date and get it moved up to 2 weeks, do not get pissed when your tech is late that day.

I got a similar wait time... ordered October 30, November 17 install date. I haven't been able to get the install bumped up, but I am on the "cancellation list". Hopefully something will come available.

Wish I could do a self install... already have a D* dish on the roof (an older 3LNB oval dish, so I don't think it can pull in all the sats?) and all the wiring ready!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts