Installation 3 HDTV's Help!!!

nosok12

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I finally made the jump from cabledumb to Dish. The installer will be here next week. I need some advice for my current setup. I have 3 HDTV's. I know it's alot but I love em. I have 2 of them upstairs and 1 downstairs. I ordered the 622 for upstairs and 2 211's. I also have a radioshack 80' boom antenna to pick up my locals. They are also supposed to install it for me at no charge. Can someone tell me how they will hook all of this up giving me the best possible picture? Will I need any supplies (cables, etc.) for the antenna. Any info or advice would be appreciated. I can't wait to join the Dish Network family. Has anyone heard anything new with the Big Ten Network? That would be icing on the cake for this new customer living in Iowa.

Thanks
Paul

Man that's one hell of an antenna!

I presume you need OTA at all three receivers. The best way to do it is to run a single line from your antenna to a splitter that feeds each receiver, having seperate cables for OTA and satellite. If your OTA signals aren't strong you may need a pre-amp at the antenna to boost signal strength to make up for splitter losses. If they are installing for no charge, just have them parallel lines for OTA and Satellite.

They will probably not have a three way splitter. Try to find one that is balanced, most cheap 3 way splitters are just two two-way splitters in one little box. You get one leg that has 3dB loss and the other 2 legs about 7 db loss that way. There are good three way splitters out there that give you about 4.5 db on each leg.

I'd tip them for the extra effort.

Thanks for the input. The guy at radio shack gave me a 75 ohm 4 way splitter. Will this work? I also heard amps can do more damage then help? Please advise.

Paul

Jim,
Does your RS75U pick up your local HD's. Im about 11 miles from our tower. Do I really need the RS90U. The 75 looks smaller and gets nice reviews.

Good luck on getting them to install a (you bought it) antenna for OTA.
I wouldn't do it for nothing!!! That's not considered a standard install.

fred

I don't quite understand. What could shut me out for what I want? The amps, splitters, diplexers, etc? Also they were adament that if I had the antenna they would install it with no charge. I will call again to confirm but that's what the CSR told me.

If your OTA signal is strong enough, you not only do not need a pre-amp, but most pre-amps would overload the tuner and you get nothing at all.

You note that I said if your OTA was not strong use a pre-amp. Being 11 miles from the transmitters, the OTA is probably strong enough to undergo splitting without dropping the signal level below the tuner's threshold.

My installer refused to install my antenna for me after the sales people said they'd do it. I asked what he would charge outside of the standard install and he said, "more than you can afford because I don't want to do it."

getting the antenna installed will really depend on the installer...

HuskerPat- Did you end up installing it yourself or did you get someone to do it for you? I have no idea on how to install it to the dish. Should I talk to the tech before he comes out? The CSR at Dish told me that we had locals in HD and I explained to her that you need an OTA to recieve then. She checked with her supervisor and made a note for the tech to install the OTA for me. I hope they can get it done. Will 150 ft of quad cable be enough to get to all 3 recievers? Does anyone else have a similar setup? Thanks a bunch guys, you have shed plenty of light on my situation.

Paul

What exactly is a crane and will they have one on them or could I purchase one at Radio Shack. I may return the 80" Boom for the 40" Boom. I would love to put the antenna in my attic. Save space and hopefully does the trick. If anyone else knows a better way to get my locals I'm all ears. My location is Sioux City, IA 51106.

I finally made the jump from cabledumb to Dish. The installer will be here next week. I need some advice for my current setup. I have 3 HDTV's. I know it's alot but I love em. I have 2 of them upstairs and 1 downstairs. I ordered the 622 for upstairs and 2 211's. I also have a radioshack 80' boom antenna to pick up my locals. They are also supposed to install it for me at no charge. Can someone tell me how they will hook all of this up giving me the best possible picture? Will I need any supplies (cables, etc.) for the antenna. Any info or advice would be appreciated. I can't wait to join the Dish Network family. Has anyone heard anything new with the Big Ten Network? That would be icing on the cake for this new customer living in Iowa.

Thanks
Paul
Gotta ask..Who is supposed to install your antenna for free?
Go with HDMI cables..Accept nothing else..The tech(s) will shopw up with the ones supplied by Dish but they are cheap..If they offer you upgraded HDMI cables ,buy them.. If you are going to spend thousands of dollars on HD tv's then why skimp on the connections?..Not logical....Would you throw an Armani suit into the wash machine?..Would you put regular gas into the tank of a Porsche?....One more word of advice..Buy the best damn surge protectors you can get for each tv..

I have 3 HDMI cables at my disposal. I also have surge protectors on 2 out of 3 tvs. I was just told that they will send a tech who will install the antenna and the dish to all 3 tvs. I can just hope they keep there word but you never know.

I have 3 HDMI cables at my disposal. I also have surge protectors on 2 out of 3 tvs. I was just told that they will send a tech who will install the antenna and the dish to all 3 tvs. I can just hope they keep there word but you never know.
I am astounded that anyone would install an 80ft antenna free of charge. I know we would not honor such a request..Of course we are an install contractor and no one can order us to do free work beyond the scope of the work order..Hope it works out but do not be surprised if the tech finds out the size of the antenna and refuses to do the job...

I think you may be right. What kind of antenna would they be willing to work with?

Dishcomm,
The antenna I got is 80 inches not feet. I'm going to take it back and get the 40 inch antenna. Alls I want is for the antenna to be placed in the attic preferably near the dish. I only live 10 miles from my towers and get a pretty strong signal except for FOX. What would you do? Thanks man

Dishcomm,
The antenna I got is 80 inches not feet. I'm going to take it back and get the 40 inch antenna. Alls I want is for the antenna to be placed in the attic preferably near the dish. I only live 10 miles from my towers and get a pretty strong signal except for FOX. What would you do? Thanks man
ahh ..ok no biggie.Heck I would do that for a cup of coffee and a donut if the customter was pleasant about it and it was pretty straight foward
I have done it before..BTW, get that third surge protector..You'll thank me if you do..

Dishcomm, one more thing. I currently have cable internet and want to keep it. Is this possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)