Installation Experience and User Observations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rnewste

Original poster
May 3, 2004
First, a little background. Have had Echostar and Dish HD services for several years. I was the creator of the HiPix DTV200 High Definition PC add-in card to record HiDef programs to the hard drive for archiving and playback. Now on my third generation Pioneer Elite HiDef 64" RPTV.

Installation Experience: As I already had the Dish 6000 with the LNB system pointed at 61.5, all the installer had to do was unhook the Switch from my other (un-needed) Dish 500 LNB - - and bang, I was watching Voom!! Total time from his arrival, to watching Voom took no more than 10 minutes. In another post someone said you couldn't use the same LNB due to "different voltages of the LNB itself". Not so, according to my installer.

User Experience: Picture Quality is EXCELLENT. I do experience a "red push" on HD channels, but I think this is a characteristic of the Pioneer Elite RPTV. Software download took way too long for channel guide (about 20 hours to have it work), and I am still getting a black screen all too often when I scroll to a new channel (have unplugged and reconnected the AC power several times, at the suggestion of Voom Technical Support - - this shouldn't be necessary with a robust system software package.

BIGGEST COMPLAINT: On my Dish system, I could create a "Favorites List" 1, or 2 and then simply use that List with the Channel Up / Down buttons to move from channel to channel. On Voom, even though you can create a "Favorites List" there seems to be no way to "select" that List as the Default channel List, and move up or down the Favorites channels on screen with a one button push. You instead have to go into the Favorites list, select the channel you want, then enter that specific channel. These are several extra unnecessary steps that I did not have to do with Dish. I find this EXTREMELY annoying, and if there is not a software upgrade soon (Wilt, are you listening) this may be my sole reason to return back to Dish.

At the end of the day, it is user friendly software that determines which technologies win or fail. I am offering this as constructive information as I love everything else about my new Voom service!!

Ray Newstead
San Jose, CA.

Email from Wilt

Just got a nice email from Wilt that some of my observations are already being addressed in the next SW update..... This is GREAT news to me, and I will now definitely keep VOOM vs DISH!!!

Ray :yes

Welcome aboard. :wave It's always good to have people with strong video backgrounds providing information and opinions.

and I am still getting a black screen all too often when I scroll to a new channel (have unplugged and reconnected the AC power several times, at the suggestion of Voom Technical Support - - this shouldn't be necessary with a robust system software package.

Ray, are you using native resolution. If so, change to 1080i or 720p to address this problem temporarily. What's your current software- 5.68?

BIGGEST COMPLAINT: On my Dish system, I could create a "Favorites List" 1, or 2 and then simply use that List with the Channel Up / Down buttons to move from channel to channel. On Voom, even though you can create a "Favorites List" there seems to be no way to "select" that List as the Default channel List, and move up or down the Favorites channels on screen with a one button push. You instead have to go into the Favorites list, select the channel you want, then enter that specific channel. These are several extra unnecessary steps that I did not have to do with Dish.

Ray, there is a Page UP/Down button on the remote control. Page button if you press up goes up in the favorite list or down if you press down.

Welcome, Ray is great to have you here and we like to have your input as well.

Thanks guys for the welcome!

I have been pretty active on the AVS Forum Home-Theater PC site for years (since our introduction of the Telemann HiPix DTV200 PC card in late 2000), so I have come to appreciate the quality of HDTV and want to help in any way to see it grow....

What I learned from the HiPix experience was that the SOFTWARE was the killer issue for us. Lack of user friendliness and intuitive functioning created far more customer support issues than hardware problems - - by a factor of 500, or more.

I know Wilt (from my previous life at C-Cube) and I have full confidence he understands the need to get the User Interface as "friendly" as possible.

Sean, all I really want to do is "eliminate" channels I don't want such as CSPAN, OTA sub-channels that are redundant, etc. With Dish, it is easy to create a Favorites list, then have that as the power-on default list. One click up or down channel changes to only those channels then happens. I can't seem to set that default list on Voom.

Ray :)

Ray,
Welcome to this forum!!! Given your background and the fact that you know Wilt, I think that your contributions to this forum and VOOM will be valuable.
P.S, i'm a software engineer and in my company we blame failures to the hardware guys :D

Ray,
Welcome to this forum!!! Given your background and the fact that you know Wilt, I think that your contributions to this forum and VOOM will be valuable.
P.S, regarding your comment on the HiPix experience and the software being the killer I have to tell you i'm a software engineer and in my company we blame failures to the hardware guys :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)