Installation fau pas - Boston area

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
hi

Signed up for Voom 7/1. Installer came out 7/5 (Last day of free install offer).

Said I had too many trees and said to have 'this one' taken down. He might be able to get a signal, but I should have the tree removed since it would cost me to have the system moved later. He recommended that when done with the tree removal, I could call to 'reactivate' my installation, complete with the original lower vavavoom monthly price and free install.

I am having the tree taken down Saturday, so I call to 'reactivate' my install.

Voom rep says the offer expired and I would have to do $199 install, and higher vavavoom package price.

I told them to forget that, they have escalated this request, got an email saying case closed and someone would get back to me in 'a day or two'. Seven days later,I have a closed case, and no callback.

Not very good customer service!!!!!

Fixed!

philhu said:
hi

Signed up for Voom 7/1. Installer came out 7/5 (Last day of free install offer).

Said I had too many trees and said to have 'this one' taken down. He might be able to get a signal, but I should have the tree removed since it would cost me to have the system moved later. He recommended that when done with the tree removal, I could call to 'reactivate' my installation, complete with the original lower vavavoom monthly price and free install.

I am having the tree taken down Saturday, so I call to 'reactivate' my install.

Voom rep says the offer expired and I would have to do $199 install, and higher vavavoom package price.

I told them to forget that, they have escalated this request, got an email saying case closed and someone would get back to me in 'a day or two'. Seven days later,I have a closed case, and no callback.

Not very good customer service!!!!!

Voom is GREAT!

Not only did their COO get involved, but I was given the old pricing, with no install charge and a month free.

I am totally satisfied with their service. I can't wait for them to show up to install (in a week or so).

Phil

philhu said:
hi

Thought I'd update everyone. VOOM got involved. They honored their offer, etc.

But, I had cancelled my tree removal.

Anyway, Installs came out for free, set up the locals antenna (got all but local channel 2,44 and 38, they are 75 degrees east of all the rest). Set up the outdoor antenna. I had a great installer. He shoehorned in over two trees, under another, got signal outside of 67 on his meter (He said he normally sees 88+).

Bad news, inside, we see 24 signal, not enough for activation/hits/etc

So, it will not activate, waiting for leaves to drop.

Then I will have the tree cut down in Feb/Mar, when it is cheaper to do so.
So, they left the dish installed, antenna installed, receiver installed, told the computer I was activated and put in a service call for 5 weeks, to realign the dish after the leaves drop.

I cannot say how happy I was with this installer. I forgot his card, but I will edit this post tomorrow with his name and number in the rhode island/boston area.

I am also very happy with VOOM, and there attitude of waiting till the leaves drop to charge me.

Since upgrading to 6.2 my box has developed a problem. I'm west of Boston. I used to get 44.1-4 fine but now the box says there is no signal present on all 4 channels. If I go into the installer menu and scan it no longer finds them but when I look at the signal quality on any of these channels it says it's 98. When I first loaded 6.2 it worked for awhile but now it's dead. The signal quality and strength have not changed. Rescanning consistently misses those 4 channels. Others in this area have replied that they still get the channels so it's not likely to be a PSIP problem here. Tried rebooting the box and rescanning. Nothing helps. Do you get 44.1-4 ?

owlbox said:
Since upgrading to 6.2 my box has developed a problem. I'm west of Boston. I used to get 44.1-4 fine but now the box says there is no signal present on all 4 channels. If I go into the installer menu and scan it no longer finds them but when I look at the signal quality on any of these channels it says it's 98. When I first loaded 6.2 it worked for awhile but now it's dead. The signal quality and strength have not changed. Rescanning consistently misses those 4 channels. Others in this area have replied that they still get the channels so it's not likely to be a PSIP problem here. Tried rebooting the box and rescanning. Nothing helps. Do you get 44.1-4 ?

No, since the box cannot activate, I get nothing and LIKE IT (The voom install screens are 1080i :) )

That bad joke aside, I did scan for you and got all local channels BUT 2.x and 44.x and 38.x

The funny thing is, my rabbit ears $30 'hdtv uhf' antenna on my new tv gets 2.x and 44.x just fine. 38.x weak.

This must be a directional thing. I am in Natick, and really wonder how digital tv OTA is supposed to be so much better if you can't get it even 15 miles away from a city!

I had the installer put the wiengard on a second wire (yes, I know it needs power, I just ordered the winegard power inserter ($21) and it should be here Saturday), so my ota signal strength is weak.

I'm further out in Mendon. Hopefully my problem is just something at WGBXDT. I was getting everything solid except 56 which seems to be running flea power or something. I also get many channels from RI. I have an 8bay that I may put up someday, but for now assuming the problems with 44 are not on my end, I'll stick with the smaller ant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts